PDA

View Full Version : Looking for somewhere on the net to download xp home and pro versions

pnave01
09-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Looking for somewhere on the net to download xp home and pro versions,

Specifically the iso's for:

Windows XP SP2 HOME RETAIL
Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM GENERIC
Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM HP
Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM GATEWAY
Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM DELL
Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM EMACHINE
Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM COMPAQ
Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM LENOVO
Windows XP SP2 HOME VLK
Windows XP SP2 PRO RETAIL
Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM GENERIC
Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM HP
Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM GATEWAY
Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM DELL
Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM EMACHINE
Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM COMPAQ
Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM LENOVO
Windows XP SP2 PRO VLK/CORP

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andyuk2007
09-28-2008, 11:47 AM
try ebay, its the only way to get legal versions of the software you want.

Simmy
09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Torrents ;)

dipper
09-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Try Ms Technet - http://technet.microsoft.com

pnave01
09-28-2008, 03:22 PM
I was hoping i could find some where to find images of the above versions, i will try a torrent but usually all i see there is cracks which i don't want. I will look around a bit more and i will have a look at technet as well thanks guys.

MrMille
09-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Torrents can contain bad software

pnave01
09-28-2008, 04:25 PM
True but some times you get lucky, and i'm very careful what i download from a torrent.

MrMille
09-28-2008, 05:31 PM
It's one way to create repeat business :rolleyes:

Seriously, I wouldn't recommend downloaded pirated copies from a torrent,
it could easily be corrupted with a zero day flaw that opens up the whole OS and be completely undetectable by *all* virus scanners.

Just my two cents though.

pnave01
09-28-2008, 06:38 PM
yeah i have already threw out that idea, for about the same reason.
Thanks for the warning :)

Simmy
09-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Can't say I've ever had that problem but then I'm getting my torrents from a private torrent site. The torrents on there seem to be alot more reputable and genuine than torrents from public sites :)

Andyuk2007
09-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Can't say I've ever had that problem but then I'm getting my torrents from a private torrent site. The torrents on there seem to be alot more reputable and genuine than torrents from public sites :)

problem i had with private torrent sites is that when you download the stuff and seed it no one really uploaded from me so i wasn't able to get my ratio up enough to stay at the site :( so now i use public ones

Bryce W
09-29-2008, 08:28 AM
You might want to look into the Microsoft Action Pack (https://partner.microsoft.com/40016455). Also, be very careful with the torrent versions as there is a possibility they may be hacked in some way. Personally, I just burn my clients legitimate copies if its something different (HP XP version, Dell XP version, Genuine Advantage version etc. but not copy the key of course)

MrMille
09-29-2008, 11:43 AM
torrentspy? demonoid?

XFalloutX
09-30-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't understand why there isnt a list of ISO files somewhere. It would'nt be illegal. You just getting the CD image not the acutal license. I've started my own little libary of ISO files. I pretty much have all the Dell 2k-Vista ones.

If you call some of the companys (Dell, HP etc.) They will send you a CD for $10 to $30. Most of it is shipping

Bullfighter
09-30-2008, 09:01 PM
I didn't think oem copies varied. I am pretty sure that keys are tied to vendor/mobo... unless you are looking for oem cds with the pre-installed software then the combinations could be endless.

I could be wrong though...

MHCG
09-30-2008, 10:40 PM
I don't understand why you guys all have HP/Dell/Gateway/Panasonic/E-Machines versions. Just take a Dell version, use n-lite to strip out the license keys and OEM specific info, slipstream service pack 3 into it, create an ISO, edit the ISO to remove the OEM folder and you're done. You now have a version that will work on all computers no matter the brand.

Jesse (did the same thing for Vista and carries around 4 or 5 OS CDs)

Simmy
09-30-2008, 10:53 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking Jesse! I've not once had a problem installing and activating a copy of windows using my stripped down install CDs. I have one DVD for Home and one for Professional. I figured I had just been lucky enough to avoid all this HP/Dell/Gateway confusion :p

pnave01
10-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Sorry for not responding to this thread lately, truthfully i got a bit busy and forgot about it sorry every one. It has never even occured to me that you could do that MHCG, Simmy, and AdvancedComputerGroupInc that you could do that, most likely because i have never used n-lite nor have i done any slipstreaming before. Could any of you guys link me to a good site that would show me how to do this, i appreciate all the help i'm getting on this subject from everyone.

abe
10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
just goto the nlite site its pretty self explanatory nlite is 2.5mb play around with it a little you will understand it in around 10-15 mins (slipstreaming means integrating or adding the service pack to the installation cd)

pnave01
10-13-2008, 04:43 AM
I will have a look tonight, will probably have some more specific questions by tomorrow. Once again thanks

zchehi
10-13-2008, 07:29 AM
I don't think I would use pirate software all downloadable os software from Microsoft is pirate so you will never be 100% sure it is ok especially if you are in business.:)

pnave01
10-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Sorry Everyone here comes some stupid questions since im new to nlite.

Can i use my own copy of xp pro to make this jack of all trade xp pro cd, or does it have to be a cd from one of the mentioned manufacturers?

So when i make this cd will it accept any cd key that comes with any of the systems i work on as long as its for the correct version of XP (ie XP pro for now)?

When you said "use n-lite to strip out the license keys and OEM specific info",
all i can find is a section in the options were i can disable oem branding is that all i have to do?

Sorry if the questions seem confusing, I just woke up and i want to put them down before i forget or get to busy. I remeber the days when i got 8 hours of continuous sleep, they seem so far away now (6 hours tops now lol).

Thanks everyone :)

focuz
10-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Even when using a dell oem cd you still don't get the drivers (maybe others like hp are different, not sure). You have to use a second dell cd for the drivers and utilities. So really it makes no sense at all to burn every oem cd out their. I just create a multiboot xp cd which contains all the different versions like home retail/home oem/pro oem etc, and then I have another dvd with driverpacks and needed software like avg and firefox.

So I can reload any system I come across with only using 2 dics.

I know you can slipstream the driverpacks with nlite but I just havn't had the time to do it all.

thor999
01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Sorry Everyone here comes some stupid questions since im new to nlite.

Can i use my own copy of xp pro to make this jack of all trade xp pro cd, or does it have to be a cd from one of the mentioned manufacturers?

So when i make this cd will it accept any cd key that comes with any of the systems i work on as long as its for the correct version of XP (ie XP pro for now)?

When you said "use n-lite to strip out the license keys and OEM specific info",
all i can find is a section in the options were i can disable oem branding is that all i have to do?

Sorry if the questions seem confusing, I just woke up and i want to put them down before i forget or get to busy. I remeber the days when i got 8 hours of continuous sleep, they seem so far away now (6 hours tops now lol).

Thanks everyone :)

Glad I looked hard and found this post... so, can we use an XP OEM disc to make a multi-boot project?

thor999
01-30-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't understand why you guys all have HP/Dell/Gateway/Panasonic/E-Machines versions. Just take a Dell version, use n-lite to strip out the license keys and OEM specific info, slipstream service pack 3 into it, create an ISO, edit the ISO to remove the OEM folder and you're done. You now have a version that will work on all computers no matter the brand.

Jesse (did the same thing for Vista and carries around 4 or 5 OS CDs)

Could you please elaborate, or provide a tutorial on, how to accomplish this w/ nlite? I simply cannot find any options that even mention OEM... also, can this be accomplished w/ an OEM disc, or must it be a Dell reinstall disc? I do have both.

abe
01-30-2009, 07:44 PM
get hold of a DELL cd use nlite click on the unattended option and the component removel option
remove any components that are dell specific then on the unattended page look for oem preinstall and disable it and delete the product key the create an iso and from the iso delete the $oem$ folder and recreate the iso that's all

Abe

thor999
01-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks Abe trying it right now... am I correct in assuming I can test this in a virtual machine? Or does this method still require activation?

abe
01-30-2009, 08:34 PM
you can test it on a virtual machine,
what does testing on a virtual machine have to do with the activation?
and don't forget that you will need the product key to install, the point of this is to take a dell cd and make it install on any computer dell or not with the original key (the one from the cd ) you then change the product key to the one on the COA

Abe

thor999
01-30-2009, 08:48 PM
O.K. Thats what I figured; still damn useful! I was led down the path of OEMScan; where in you can use an install disc that will nullify OOBE (activation unnecessary, supposedly completely legal when installed on branded pc's w/ a COA on case) but, admittedly, I'm running into many obstacles... Seems like it would truly be a handy tool, activation can be a time consuming process when you're busy...

MrMille
01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
get hold of a DELL cd use nlite click on the unattended option and the component removel option
remove any components that are dell specific then on the unattended page look for oem preinstall and disable it and delete the product key the create an iso and from the iso delete the $oem$ folder and recreate the iso that's all

Abe

in a few concise lines, you have managed to describe what I've been looking for. Well done Abe, post of the year (so far!)

:)

MrMille
01-31-2009, 08:53 PM
get hold of a DELL cd
use nlite (www.nliteos.com/)
click on the unattended option and the component removel option
remove any components that are dell specific
then on the unattended page look for oem preinstall and disable it
and delete the product key
then create an iso (you could use MagicISO (www.magiciso.com/))
and from the iso delete the $oem$ folder and
recreate the iso that's all
don't forget that you will need the product key to install
the point of this is to take a dell cd and make it install on any computer dell or not with the original key (the one from the cd )
you then change the product key to the one on the COA

Hi Abe,

hope you don't mind me tweaking your post, it'll allow me to ask questions.

Does this mean I blank out the key in step 6?
step 10? which product key? the one I just blanked out?
step 12, the one on the box, that seems straight forward (or the key returned from jellyBeanFinder), if the label is worn/damaged.

abe
02-01-2009, 12:12 AM
mrmille thanks for making it clearer
hi all,

well sorry about the product key removal, you don't have to remove the key at all , you could leave it, the reason I remove it is because I got a call from a client asking me if I use pirated software, he noticed I didn't have to type the key when I was installing, he said he almost called microsoft to tell them I use pirated stuff.

so since then I make sure not to do unattended install when the client is looking over my shoulder.

I don't wanna have to go explaining why what I'm doing is legit.

Abe.

thor999
02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Guys, this is actually basic stuff compared to what they're doing with OEMScan over at the MSFN forums; therein, somewhere, lies the ability to install Windows w/ full Nlite customization, automatic driver install AND activation-free! FWIW Mods it is my understanding that MS is O.K. w/ this (so long as the target machine has a COA, or a valid license, of course), and also provide tools to help accomplish these tasks. But not to minimalize, Abe you really saved my bacon this weekend! :) Meanwhile, after Super Bowl of course, I will continue on w/ my testing of OEMScan installation on VMWare and get back to you. Here are some links for those that are interested, I'm pulling them from History so they may be slightly distended, I'd like to see what the big brains here can do w/ such powerful tools!
http://www.siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47&page=8
http://www.siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47
http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/
http://www.siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541&page=5
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

thor999
02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Actually, may a new thread be created for this purpose? Might attract more talent...

abe
02-01-2009, 01:22 PM
hi
thanks for the info on oemScan, which will make life a little easier, I didn't know it was possible to make a multi-bios acticator,
As for including hotfixes drivers and all that's what nlite is there for.
Abe

MrMille
02-01-2009, 05:38 PM
they've been working on that on msfn for a year of more now,
but that's all i know about it

if you figure it out, would you be intersted in posted up another excellent how-to post?

thor999
02-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Absolutely, but, admittedly, its handing me a towel right now.

MrMille
02-19-2009, 01:04 AM
I used the/my nlite'ed disk but was asked for the key off the COA, was that supposed to happen? hi
thanks for the info on oemScan, which will make life a little easier, I didn't know it was possible to make a multi-bios acticator,
As for including hotfixes drivers and all that's what nlite is there for.
Abe

abe
02-19-2009, 01:31 AM
a little more info would be good, which disk did you nlite, on which computer did you install, and when you where asked for the coa serial did you put it in and did it work or did you put in the original seria (ie. the one that was on the un nllited cd)

Abe

MrMille
02-19-2009, 09:12 PM
a little more info would be good, which disk did you nlite, on which computer did you install, and when you where asked for the coa serial did you put it in and did it work or did you put in the original seria (ie. the one that was on the un nllited cd)

Abe
Hi Abe

which disk did you nlite
I nlited a dell win xp home oem disk

on which computer did you install
on a dell inspiron 6000

when you where asked for the coa serial did you put it in
yes

and did it work
yes

or did you put in the original seria (ie. the one that was on the un nllited cd)
no

abe
02-19-2009, 09:17 PM
i assume you didnt need to activate since its a dell computer, is that so?

Abe

p.s. it should ask for the coa inless you put the serial in when you used nlite on the unattended page.

MrMille
02-19-2009, 09:24 PM
If I leave the original serial in,
would it then install without asking me?

If I did this, could I use the same CD on any number of laptops?, e.g. a tosh laptop, or a Sony?

abe
02-19-2009, 09:57 PM
if you use the cd on a non dell computer it you will have to use the original serial ( you could put it in using nlite) but you will then have to use the serial from the case to activate.

BTW did you have to activate.??

MrMille
02-20-2009, 08:53 AM
I tried nlite several times last night,
each disk produced, when installed,
produced errors about missing files,
be they .ttf or .dll, or .sys.

I trawled the internet, and they say it's "bad memory"

So I used the original disk, and it worked fine,
they just slapped on the sp3 and the install went great.

Proving it's not bad memory.

I'm starting to think nlite is flakey,
because if it couldn't rip the original cd,
without omitting files,
what use is it?

I'm not having much success with nlite.

geekhelp4u
02-20-2009, 03:17 PM
i use it at least once a month to add the new MS updates to my images... never had a problem with it.

purple_minion
02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
I've tried it, but what I want is to be able to take that nice 9in1 xp cd and when I'm through get it back to a smaller size instead of the huge dvd size I now have. Someway to link the duplicate files?

MrMille
02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
i use it at least once a month to add the new MS updates to my images... never had a problem with it.

Why does the installer report missing files?

geekhelp4u
02-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Why does the installer report missing files?

What exact xp disk are you using?

geekhelp4u
02-20-2009, 10:16 PM
I've tried it, but what I want is to be able to take that nice 9in1 xp cd and when I'm through get it back to a smaller size instead of the huge dvd size I now have. Someway to link the duplicate files?

I know the 9 in 1 disk is around 5 GB and they are somehow compressing it down to 700MB and mounting it as a virtual drive... perhaps you can look into this as an option ti figuring it out

purple_minion
02-20-2009, 11:34 PM
I know the 9 in 1 disk is around 5 GB and they are somehow compressing it down to 700MB and mounting it as a virtual drive... perhaps you can look into this as an option ti figuring it out

Well I think they are using something to create links, instead of having duplicate files you create a link or pointer to one file, so instead of having 9 copies of a file you have 1 actual data file and 8 pointing to the file. I remember something about it back when I played with it, just never got to it. I found a 9in1 with SP3, so at least I'm closer! lol.

MrMille
02-21-2009, 09:38 PM
What exact xp disk are you using?

Posted above.
Feel free to actually read the entire thread.

MrMille
02-21-2009, 09:40 PM

Purple and Geek, feel free to start your own thread about the 9 in 1 disk, don't hijack my thread.

topshelfpc
03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I know some of you frown on torrents, but there is a great 9in1 torrent floating around that works for every version of XP out there. Has OEM/Retail/Corp for every XP flavor. MCE, Home and Pro.

Edit: I guess I should have read all the pages of this thread, sorry for the repost.

MrMille
03-06-2009, 08:03 PM
The 9in1 disk on the p2p networks doesn't work.
And it's way out of date too

Methical
03-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Go buy yaself a Rapidshare account and download it from there =)

seedubya
03-07-2009, 12:42 AM
go buy yaself a rapidshare account and download it from there =)

tgfrs.....

MrMille
03-07-2009, 05:08 PM
tgfrs.....

:confused:

seedubya
03-07-2009, 05:11 PM
rofl!! How did you guess?

Normann
06-24-2009, 08:57 PM
My first attempt with this. Followed the instructions by Abe, revised by MrMille.

Dell OEM XP Pro SP1 CD.
Dell Inspiron 8500 (the reinstall OEM CD came with this laptop)
Used nlite 1.4.9.1, then MagicISO 5.5 to remove the OEM folder.

slipstreamed to SP3 with nlite
applied RVMupdatepackSP3_1.0.3
left all components on the CD
deleted the CD Key

My unattended install seems to work but when it prompts for the product ID, and I enter the one from the bottom of the laptop, it rejects it. "Invalid ID".

Edit:
So I am reading on some places that you need to use an XP machine to create the XP CD. And you need to be on 32bit to create a 32bit CD. I am on a Vista 64bit. Is this true? I can't believe it. I guess I will boot into XP and give it another try.

I must be missing something super basic, so thanks for your patience, and help.

Edit # 2:
It indeed worked when I have created the CD in XP.