PDA

View Full Version : What processor you prefer?

a1whs.com
02-21-2006, 08:36 PM
What processor : INTEL or AMD do you prefer and why ? No i am not talking about HT enabled or dual core i am just talking about which manufacturer you prefer more and rely on more.

ipodman
02-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi,

For me I would go with intel, as they have a good reputation. The processors in my view I believe is good for running games.

Stealth
02-22-2006, 01:10 AM
I rely on AMD far more. The only two Intel CPUs I ever used were the P1 166MMX and the PII Celeron 333A. They did their work flawlessly at the time, but AMD on the whole proved better for me, since it has higher performance in games than Intels. Also, the newest series of AMDs run several times cooler than Intels, which is better for my machine since the airflow inside isn't too good.

ipodman
02-22-2006, 05:42 AM
Hi,

I see where you are coming from when you say AMD is quit good the problem for me is that it seems a bit pricy for what it does.

Stealth
02-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Actually, compare the prices of similarly powered AMDs and Intels. The Intels regularly come up as the more expensive. It's been like that for the past five years or so, and AMD has lost the brand of being the hothead of the CPUs.

bongo
02-22-2006, 05:27 PM
actually i think AMD is better but since all my friensd are using intel and i use intel too..i heard AMD is good for gaming though..is that true?

Stealth
02-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Very much so, if you pick the single-core variety. Two cores tend to get in the operating system's way, on occasion.

Rªdì¢âl_£Ð
02-23-2006, 08:34 AM
For desktops, I have been sticking with AMD processors since I owned my own computer. My old desktop had an Athlon XP 2100+ and my new desktop has an Athlon 64 3200+. My laptop has an AMD as well but my next laptop will probably an Intel since Turion-based tablets don't exist yet and I might opt for the new Mactels. However, I might wait and see what the new AM2 sockets will offer.

Stealth
02-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Turions are already widely available, in fact, the cheapest laptop I saw a couple of days ago is Turion based (it was about US$800), and on the whole I've heard they run very stably. The fact it's not a Centrino platform isn't a hindrance, since as far as I know PCMCIA wireless cards work better than the internal counterparts.

Rªdì¢âl_£Ð
02-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Turion-based tablets don't exist yet

Though it's not like I would turn them down. However, I heard they didn't perform as well in terms of CPU power per watts than the Pentium M.

a1whs.com
02-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I am thinking of getting a lappy, but which processor and brand of lappy to go for ?

HP , Compaq, Dell , Toshiba or some other company? And intel based lappy better than amd based?

Bryce W
02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
I highly recommend getting Centrino based laptops.
They are designed to have a longer battery life and work just as hard as regular CPU's and do so at a lower clock speed.
I have a 1.5 Centrino and its equivilant of a Penitum 2.6ish. It also keeps very cool. I have some friends who have Pentium 3.0 chips which you can cook an egg on.

On my Centrino, I get about 4 hours battery life If play games, 5-6 hours if I do stuff like word processing and if I let it idle I get about 7 hours.

a1whs.com
03-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Well what about this deal does this look neat for a lappy :
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_9400_systems?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs

gunslinger
07-18-2007, 11:14 PM
INTEL right now, AMD has nothing to compete.

greggh
07-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Its been AMD For me since the k6 line. Intel has done nothing to win me back.

gunslinger
07-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Compare the preformance of a top of the line Intel with a top of the line AMD and you will see that Intel wins almost every benchmark and test. Also If you compare apples to apples, Intel is the cheaper buy most times. Maybe a year ago this would have been different but right now Intel is tops. You can have a fave, but the numbers don't lie. When i built my new system in Feb. the top 2 were the AMD 5200+ and the Intel e6600. The Intel smoked the AMD in every single test I came across and was about $100 cheaper.

Blues
07-19-2007, 03:39 PM
I know at this moment alot of benchmarks show Intel ahead how ever in DDR2 utilization AMD still wins. This by no means is reason enough for them how ever I have been a fan since they took charge. They may be behind for now but they make a good processor and generally they are cheaper. I stick with AMD on my builds how ever on a laptop I really will take either or right now a Intel Core 2 Duo laptop is cheap enough Id get one if I was gettin a laptop.

greggh
07-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Memory performance is always a big thing with me, and AMD still owns that. I am not going back to Intel for just 1 generation of cpus. The quad core AMD benchmarks that we have heard about so far show it to be at least 30% better than the quad core intels. So they will take the lead back pretty easily.

Blues
07-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Only problem with AMD and the RAM is you need to find the right clock speed for the RAM or be ready to over clock to get atleast what you want out of it. This problem gave birth to the DDR2 1066(or some wierd number like that) when to get atleast DDR2 800 speeds they had to over clock becuase the clock speed was not divisable by the proper number.

rurbaniak
07-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Up to last year I would say Intel all the way. But last year I built a system for myself after the Processor prices came down, and went with AMD Dual Core X2 64. They work wonderful, and fast. Spent about $150 for the CPU, so I can't complain.

My PC is a PVR like Tivo, and I use it to edit out the commericals, so I wanted it to be fast, and I got exactly what I was looking for. :D