PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 Help please!!!!

xxsilk109xx
01-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I have replaced the screens on many iphone 4 phones

This time, a verizon phone, I replaced the screen, connected everything and it wont turn on.

It will power on briefly when plugged into the computer or wall, even with the battery in, but not with the battery alone.

The power cycle is that the apple logo comes on and then its there for a minute, then it goes away. the the loop starts over.

My computer is not recognizing the phone even though it is getting power through USB

Im at my wits end, i have reconnected everything twice

Encrypted Existence
01-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Has the phone been jailbroken?

PC-Technix
01-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Have you tried leaving it on charge for a while?

I've seen this happen when phone has really died(no charge in batts).

Also I have an issue when batts were dead and couldn't get it back on(need to hold the home and power) to bring it back to life

dgiles79
01-10-2012, 07:54 PM
If the previous posts don't help, you may need to put the phone in DFU mode and do an OS restore.

Instructions can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

xxsilk109xx
01-10-2012, 08:16 PM
phone has not been jailbroken

I will try and leave it on charge for a while, however it was did turn on before and work before I took it apart.

xxsilk109xx
01-10-2012, 08:27 PM
i have it plugged in and it seems this is what it is doing

the apple logo will appear for about 9 to 10 seconds and the it powers off, and about 4 seconds go by and the cycle repeats....

xxsilk109xx
01-10-2012, 09:43 PM
I dont think its a battery issue, as I have put it into DFU mode and the computer found it, now it tells me that I must do a restore, it gets to where its verifying the restore with apple and it gives me error 1602

any ideas?

PC-Technix
01-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Do you have another pc? If so download iTunes and do your restore there.

I had issues when 5.0 come out. My regular PC did the same and no matter how many times I tried, it spurted out error codes.

I downloaded iTunes to my lappy and it went straight through.

And them error codes did diddly squat on directing me in the right area

dgiles79
01-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I dont have any direct experience with that error, but on Apple's site it says to full remove all iTunes and related files from the PC and reinstall. Instructions are here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ta38633

PC-Technix
01-10-2012, 09:52 PM
I dont have any direct experience with that error, but on Apple's site it says to full remove all iTunes and related files from the PC and reinstall. Instructions are here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ta38633

I'd try a different PC.... apple leave heavy footprints

xxsilk109xx
01-10-2012, 10:05 PM
ok i will take the phone home and try it on my macbook, maybe that will help... will report back!

xxsilk109xx
01-10-2012, 11:53 PM
i am on my macbook now and have tried several times with varying results.

I tried it at first and got error 2006, then I restarted the computer and the phone. Then I tried to use a different tried it again, and got error 2001.

Then I reset the SMC on my computer, and have retried it and still get error 2001. I have tried to jailbreak it and it gets to the part where it needs to restart the phone and it now sits there with the backlight on, but no picture.

i am getting worried, this is a customers phone and I have done this before, to my own phone even, with no issues, everything went easy, and now it wont boot. I just cant imagine that there is something wrong with the logic board, I was easy with it and even cleaned all the contacts with rubbing alcohol....

any other ideas?

PC-Technix
01-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Have you tried a PC without any traces of iTunes?

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 12:14 AM
no i have not yet..... I have one at my office, I will try that tomorrow. Do you think that may be the issue?

PC-Technix
01-11-2012, 12:54 AM
What build was the software at?

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 01:50 AM
on my mac? itunes is the most current, the phone i believe was at ios5

Swiper
01-11-2012, 01:55 AM
Try iReb it repair some apple errors.

http://ih8sn0w.com/

It has bailed me out before, post your results.

PC-Technix
01-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Just try that PC first that doesn't have iTunes on it.

Ok. on the software 5.01 is out now. The reason I ask is that going from 4 to 5.0 caused mass issues on the updates.

Also:

Did you get the parts from your usual supplier? That part maybe faulty and causing a short. Do you carry spares just in case?

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 02:12 AM
ill give it a try, i am on a mac right now and it doesnt look like there is a mac version, when i get to the office tomorrow ill post results!!
thanks!!

anything that i need to know before I run it?

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 02:25 AM
Just try that PC first that doesn't have iTunes on it.

Ok. on the software 5.01 is out now. The reason I ask is that going from 4 to 5.0 caused mass issues on the updates.

Also:

Did you get the parts from your usual supplier? That part maybe faulty and causing a short. Do you carry spares just in case?

I got it from the person that I always get screens from off of Ebay, he says they are OEM and I have never had a problem, and the screen works, it will show the cord pointing towards the itunes logo and the computer can control it somewhat.

I will hook up the orig screen tomorrow and see if that makes a difference or if it works fine.

PC-Technix
01-11-2012, 02:40 AM
I got it from the person that I always get screens from off of Ebay, he says they are OEM and I have never had a problem, and the screen works, it will show the cord pointing towards the itunes logo and the computer can control it somewhat.

I will hook up the orig screen tomorrow and see if that makes a difference or if it works fine.

So does the USB cord stay on the screen after re boot? Or should I say it never goes off even when it's un connected from the PC

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 02:43 AM
when i do the restore with itunes, it is on, and then when it says its verifying it reboots, and then it gives me the error code

then after i click ok, itunes will sit for a few seconds, then it will pop up and say it detects and iphone 4 on recovery mode. then i try the restore again and it fails with an error code.

PC-Technix
01-11-2012, 02:50 AM
when i do the restore with itunes, it is on, and then when it says its verifying it reboots, and then it gives me the error code

then after i click ok, itunes will sit for a few seconds, then it will pop up and say it detects and iphone 4 on recovery mode. then i try the restore again and it fails with an error code.

It's stuck in recovery mode!! One resolve I have had is to do it on a PC without iTunes.

it's not the hardware, this happens a lot with apple products, and one thing I found out is that it's done via the cloud. they tell you the recovery is stored on your PC but that is BS.

I'm not going to say that the iTunes clear PC will fix it, but I'm confident in saying its a software issue. And the iTunes clear PC has resolved this for me.

Update me when you have tried it.

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 03:13 AM
ok thanks for the tip!

I will try it first thing in the morning and let you know

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 04:13 PM
I tried it on a pc that has never had itunes on it, i even restored the computer to the factory image, installed itunes, put it in DFU mode, itunes found it, i restored it and i still get an error of 1602

I am worried now, If I pot the orig screen back on it and hand it back to customer will they still be able to warranty it? Its under warranty but the customer wanted it fixed fast and didnt want to wait and now this has happened.

I am going to try the other link posted and see if I get any results.

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 04:26 PM
does it concern you that it does not power on unless plugged in via usb, also considering that I have had it plugged in for quite some time while trying all of the suggestions?

PC-Technix
01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Stupid Question but:

Have you held down "home" and "power" at the same time until it powers down?

Edit:

Another stupid question.. What AV do you have on your PC's? Certain AV's cause issues on reboots etc. that's straight from Apple tech support! I know I don't believe it either. And the main culprit is Avast.

PC-Technix
01-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I tried it on a pc that has never had itunes on it, i even restored the computer to the factory image, installed itunes, put it in DFU mode, itunes found it, i restored it and i still get an error of 1602

I am worried now, If I pot the orig screen back on it and hand it back to customer will they still be able to warranty it? Its under warranty but the customer wanted it fixed fast and didnt want to wait and now this has happened.

I am going to try the other link posted and see if I get any results.

If you jailbreak it....Kiss good by to any warranty...proceed with caution my friend!!!

anonymous Mac Tech
01-11-2012, 04:39 PM

If Apple notices it's been tampered with, they won't warranty it. Even if they don't see any evidence of tampering, now its jail broken, so still voided Applecare. Also, its wiped now since its stuck in restore mode, so more than likely if they didn't have it connected with their computer or set up with icloud, the data is gone.

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 04:41 PM
I have not jailbroken it before.

I have held down both buttons and it will shut off, then it will turn itself back on, and the apple logo will appear for about 9 or 10 seconds and then turns off again for about 3 or 4 and then it loops over and over.

I can put it into DFU mode and the itunes will recognize it, but the restore fails. Should I try to install a custom firmware or an older version?

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I am not worried so much about the data that is on there, mac tec, do you have any tips I can try?

Adept PC Repair
01-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Major, major tip here. It's the battery.

I had this problem in an iphone whereby I could get it in to DFU mode and itunes would detect it, but I couldn't successfully restore. I got the exact same message as you.

I opened it up to find the battery cable had become desoldered from the board. I resoldered the battery and it fired right up once I plugged it in for a while.

So this fault is either a dead battery or faulty soldering / connection

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Ok well this is a verizon iphone 4, so the battery just plugs into the slot, this may point to why it wont work with just the battery plugged in too....hmmm

there is no solder though.

any way to test the battery? This is a new phone, only about 2 months old.

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Major, major tip here. It's the battery.

I had this problem in an iphone whereby I could get it in to DFU mode and itunes would detect it, but I couldn't successfully restore. I got the exact same message as you.

I opened it up to find the battery cable had become desoldered from the board. I resoldered the battery and it fired right up once I plugged it in for a while.

So this fault is either a dead battery or faulty soldering / connection

DAMN! You were right!!!
I took the battery out of my phone and what do you know, it started without the battery charger! It is now going through the restore process as we speak, I have to order another battery, but hot damn!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
:D:D:D

you dont know how much i appreciate that! I will post again when it has finished the restore!

PC-Technix
01-11-2012, 06:05 PM
DAMN! You were right!!!
I took the battery out of my phone and what do you know, it started without the battery charger! It is now going through the restore process as we speak, I have to order another battery, but hot damn!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
:D:D:D

you dont know how much i appreciate that! I will post again when it has finished the restore!

I'm glad you got it going my friend!!

I told you them error codes meant diddly squat. :D

xxsilk109xx
01-11-2012, 11:16 PM
yea you were right, they sure didnt. I wonder how the battery went bad during repairing the screen. I was careful as ever when it came to removing all the components. :/

Adept PC Repair
01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Really glad to have helped you :)

It was a bit easier for me to fault find as I was working on an older iphone 2g, the cables from the battery are soldered to the board and one had completely come away!

It's possible that a bit of battery bend occured, i know they're stuck down quite well.

Glad you've got it up and running anyway. And remember, you owe me ;)

xxsilk109xx
01-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Yes I sure do owe you! I really appreciate the help again, I guess it was just some battery bend, I will try to be even more careful next time

PC-Technix
01-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes I sure do owe you! I really appreciate the help again, I guess it was just some battery bend, I will try to be even more careful next time

How many boxes of Kleenex did you use sweating :D