PDA

View Full Version : New number, and new phone

TLE
01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Well due to pressure from my wife, I have now got a new Geographical number and VoiP line from Vonage.co.uk. So far I am very pleased with the call quality and service. (I'm sure my full time employers would be horrified as I work for company which provides SIP Hosted services :eek:)

My wife was getting sick of the phone constantly ringing, and it never been for her..lol :D

The only thing which worries me is our local BT numbers start with area code of 01845 and the local number start with 5*****. My new number is 01845 (same area code) and the local number starts with 4***** which is a little different and may put some people off calling it. We shall see.

In addition to this I have bought a new phone and headset, which is going to make life so much easier freeing my hands up whilst doing Remote Support and just generally chatting with people. :D

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9954/wp000062.jpg

Martyn
01-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Nice one. I have a 2nd phone line I use as a business line(although it's listed as personal :o ). It shouldn't make any different the fact that the number after the first five digits is different. It's the same in our area but I haven't a clue what they all are but I think the first five digits are the deciding factor. I need to get some headphones for the hands free remote calls as it is a problem.

TLE
01-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I don't think the number will be an issue, and people will get used to it. It helps that at least the area code is the same.

I think the headset is a great idea, I always struggle to hold the phone, type, and make notes when working from home. Ideally I wanted a Bluetooth headset but the DECT compatible phones which use Bluetooth were just to expensive. I picked up the BT Diverse (reconditioned) in the picture from ebay for 14.99 including postage, and the headset was only 9.99. So all in all, I am pleased.

I have also just had my first voicemail left for me on my new number, which was promptly attached to an email and sent to me. Just listened to it on my Mobile phone. I love technology:D

Cadishead Computers
01-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Well done Mike. Hope this is the first of a lot of new calls (and numbers) for you. Numbers as in, new stores etc

4ycr
01-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Like you I also use VOIP for my business and it's always nice to be able to forward it to my mobile while I am out.

I use netplan for mine

joydivision
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I have a Sipgate number 0161 660 xxxx, but I rarely use it and most my clients always just ring me on my mobile. They know I am a mobile service though.

Really my 0161 is there just to make myself appear for professional. With my new advertising campaign I will work on after the current rush is over then I will have to link the 0161 number up to my mobile. I believe Android supports SIP.

Cambridge PC Support
01-06-2012, 04:21 PM
I love my voip setup. :)

I wouldn't worry about the phone number, as long as the STD code is the same then you'll be OK.

I would highly recommend a manned phone answering service though. People hate leaving messages on a machine.