PDA

View Full Version : Remote Web Workplace - Internet Access Temperamental

bitznpcz
09-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi,

I recently set up a SBS2003 server for a local Parish Council and am having problems with RWW.

I can access internally, but get Page Cannot be Displayed when accessing over the internet. I can fix this by going therough the options on CEICW (Configure E-Mail and Internet Connection Wizard), but it only fixes it for a day or two and the problem reoccurs.

Any ideas?

Second issue - the council want to give access to a couple of outlook calendars over the internet to another council to be able to schedule appointments as part of a GP refferal scheme.

They do not currently use exchange server on SBS2003 as they use a .gov domain and amending these is quite difficult.

Is there a simple, but professional way to do this. I have considered Google Calendar and synchronsing this with Outlook, but think this looks a bit naff.

Or, is there are way to send an appointment invite via outlook, but not schedule it in the senders calendar?

Thanks,

Kevin

dave-northoaklandtech
09-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Is Routing and Remote Access running? If it is, try disabling it and seeing if the RWW page stays up. If RAS isn't running, check the IIS Admin and see if the default website is failing.

Re: calendars, I think the best way to handle this would be to add an A record to the existing DNS record - no need for MX or anything. Just a simple A record for the IP address of the server. If that can't be done, I'd suggest adding a secondary domain (.com? .org?) that's specific to the server domain, not the .gov. If THAT can't be done, use the public IP
From there, set up Exchange public folders for the shared calendars, and publish them via Outlook Web Access - i.e. https://10.10.10.10/public to get to the public folder tree.

TimeCode
09-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Is it possible to set up a mail.whatever.co.uk and point that to the server? Then use the POP forwarder to get their emails from the old domain.

Have you tried checking that HTTPS is working when you have lost connection? Try this from outside their network, from the command prompt type "telnet domain.name.com 443"

If you get an error code similar to this "Connecting To domain.name.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 443: Connect failed" you know its closed and that is your problem. If not, please post back.

bitznpcz
09-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Is it possible to set up a mail.whatever.co.uk and point that to the server? Then use the POP forwarder to get their emails from the old domain.

Have you tried checking that HTTPS is working when you have lost connection? Try this from outside their network, from the command prompt type "telnet domain.name.com 443"

If you get an error code similar to this "Connecting To domain.name.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 443: Connect failed" you know its closed and that is your problem. If not, please post back.

Thanks for both replies, I will try them when I see them again next week. I cannot telnet their domain as I haven't set up one, but using the public IP address I get ...could not open connection to the host, on port 443: connect failed

I may have a problem here though - no-one knows the password for the admin account on the router so I cannot Port forward the ports! I could reset, but they don't have their ISP settings either!

SBS2003 can control the model of router I use and is probably opening port 443 when it is working, but any ideas why it would close it?

Thanks

seedubya
09-26-2008, 01:20 PM
UPNP is flaky at the best of times. Every router I've ever tried it on has failed at some point. I would never depend on it. Always forward your ports. Just get them to ring the ISP in advance and then reset the router.

TimeCode
09-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks for both replies, I will try them when I see them again next week. I cannot telnet their domain as I haven't set up one, but using the public IP address I get ...could not open connection to the host, on port 443: connect failed
That is the first and probably biggest part of your problem. If you have no HTTPS access you have no RWW. Plain and simple. But, to be a fair test, do the same thing using another port that is sure to be open... If you do their web hosting, use port 80, email hosting: 110 or 25, I think you get the picture.
I may have a problem here though - no-one knows the password for the admin account on the router so I cannot Port forward the ports! I could reset, but they don't have their ISP settings either!
That is an easy fix... Call the ISP. They will give you the settings. You may have to confirm some information such as company (gov. branch) name, address, last 4 of CC number used on the account, something like that but I have personally had to reset many a router and I've never had an ISP not give me the account settings. I have had to ask the branch manager a few questions (or even get them to talk to the support person over the phone) but that is a small price to pay to get their service going.
SBS2003 can control the model of router I use and is probably opening port 443 when it is working, but any ideas why it would close it?
I've never been impressed with UPnP's setup functions. I always set up the router myself so I know the setings are correct: it's a control issue. ;) The only problem I've ever really had is with a NetOpia router that had no reset button. So we bought another router.

I hope this helps.