PDA

View Full Version : SBS 2008 WSUS Sync Problem

controlfreak
01-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Ok so i'm pulling my hair out on this one which most likely will be super easy to sort.

WSUS 3.0 SP 2 on SBS 2008 box sync setup for once a day after hours 3am. All settings are correct SBS. However whenever the automatic sync time comes it automatically reverts back to manually sync when I check the next morning. The error logs were stating synchronization and update services were not working this is prior to reinstallation which has removed the errors.

Here's what I have done
- Checked all permissions on WSUS folders to ensure network service and admin had correct access
- Changed sync times and tested
- Checked permissions on virtual directories in IIS were correct
- Completely uninstalled and reinstalled WSUS

What makes it even weirder is during testing I have gotten it to work then I change the time to half hour ahead to test again and it reverts back to manual when executing again. There are now no errors in event logs for WSUS .

Any ideas or has anyone seen or had this problem before?

MobileTechie
01-05-2012, 07:10 AM
I've not had this specific problem but I've had WSUS problems with SBS2008. I know you can "break" the link between SBS console and WSUS pretty easily if you do various thing with it outside of the SBS Console (i.e. if you adjust WSUS itself too much) and that it doesn't even work on a brand new SBS installation out of the box without one or more of the updates and rollups.

So to start with I usually resinsall WSUS, go through the Best Practices Analyzer until there are no problems highlighted, get all updates, service packs and rollups that could even possibly be slightly relevant (i.e. pretty much anything except Exchange stuff) and that seems to fix most problems.

Everytime I've had to go into WSUS itself like I would on a normal Server 2008 box I've ended up banging my head against a wall.

So it might be worth a shot trying that. Otherwise I'd suggest posting on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/smallbusinessserver/threads

controlfreak
01-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I've not had this specific problem but I've had WSUS problems with SBS2008. I know you can "break" the link between SBS console and WSUS pretty easily if you do various thing with it outside of the SBS Console (i.e. if you adjust WSUS itself too much) and that it doesn't even work on a brand new SBS installation out of the box without one or more of the updates and rollups.

So to start with I usually resinsall WSUS, go through the Best Practices Analyzer until there are no problems highlighted, get all updates, service packs and rollups that could even possibly be slightly relevant (i.e. pretty much anything except Exchange stuff) and that seems to fix most problems.

Everytime I've had to go into WSUS itself like I would on a normal Server 2008 box I've ended up banging my head against a wall.

So it might be worth a shot trying that. Otherwise I'd suggest posting on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/smallbusinessserver/threads

Ah yes trusty BPA one thing I haven't ran yet and will try thank you. I know what you say with WSUS and SBS I have ran through all the settings and have messed it up on numerous occasions including several bouts with sharepoint and windows internal database.