PDA

View Full Version : New website

Jester5510
12-30-2011, 06:36 PM
So, my website is launched and the business is going. I'm just curious what people's feedback is on the site itself. It's not fully SEO optimized yet (that's another bear I'm working with, ugh), but as far as the look and the feel I'm very pleased.

It's an anti-thesis to Geek Squad (or geek this, geek that, nerd this, nerd that). I'm trying to capture a semi-campy comic book feel. We are the heroes of the computer world.

Any feedback would be great!

www desktopdefenders com

PC-Man
12-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Have you registered your domain?

Jester5510
01-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Yeah, with GoDaddy, unfortunately.. I'm seriously thinking of switching away from them after their SOPA mess, though.

phaZed
01-02-2012, 01:44 AM
I like it a lot! Very neat layout and theme to be tied to computer repair.

Well done. Like you said, some SEO and content work to be done.

I only have one concern. The Superman picture. Is that licensed for your use? If not you could experience some legal headwinds.

PC-Man
01-02-2012, 10:31 AM
The layout look nice, I would have choose a different name for the company taking into account that Desktop PC's today are not very popular. some visitors to your website would think that you only specialize in desktop pc repair.

eggy53
01-02-2012, 02:56 PM
I saw the Why Call a Geek When you can call.... somewhere else, btw they had a TM next to it.

Jester5510
01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I like it a lot! Very neat layout and theme to be tied to computer repair.

Well done. Like you said, some SEO and content work to be done.

I only have one concern. The Superman picture. Is that licensed for your use? If not you could experience some legal headwinds.

Thanks!

As far as the Superman picture, I was actually kind of concerned with that. I was thinking I'm going to have my graphic artist photoshop the Superman logo out and replace it was the DD logo. Same idea, more personalized, less legal blowback.

Jester5510
01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I saw the Why Call a Geek When you can call.... somewhere else, btw they had a TM next to it.

Any idea where you might have seen that at all? I definitely need to look into that, and research trademark laws. It's not exactly the same, obviously, so I don't know how that would fit the law. That would be no good, because that's the main tagline for the business.

mraikes
01-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Google the phrase "why call a geek when you can call" including the parens.

You'll find tens of thousands of places where that phrase is already used.

dipper
01-04-2012, 03:54 AM
My only concern (apart from the copyright issues mentioned above) is that the pictures associated with Services, Resources, About Us, Contact Us look cheap with the "dots" in the photo.

eggy53
01-04-2012, 04:02 AM
My only concern (apart from the copyright issues mentioned above) is that the pictures associated with Services, Resources, About Us, Contact Us look cheap with the "dots" in the photo.

I think thats on purpose to make it look like comics.

google: Why call a geek when you can call a friend

Jester5510
01-05-2012, 04:17 PM

It is part of my designer's look and feel throughout the site. You don't think it's too detrimental to the overall design, do you? If you'll notice, the dots kind of run through everything, not just those images. Your feedback is appreciated!

Jester5510
01-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I think thats on purpose to make it look like comics.

google: Why call a geek when you can call a friend

Yeah, I saw that one earlier. Reading into it, since the last word is different, my version of the phrase should not infringe on any trademark. I'm no lawyer, but I think it'll end up being ok (thank God, since I already have that slogan on alot of printed material!).