PDA

View Full Version : Itunes stuck at gathering required information

Galdorf
12-28-2011, 04:28 PM
I have looked around on net for a fix for win7 64bit removed all apple software, ran cleaners for registry restarted itunes gets stuck at at gathering required information.
Ran procmon looking for why its just sitting there, removed all music and libraries and cleaned out anything having to do with itunes still no go.
At first i thought it might be drm but after looking at procmon it does not show any problems with that.

MobileTechie
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I had this and cured it by uninstalling Itunes with revo at the deepest setting. Then reinstalling worked OK.

mason
12-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Do you have more than 1 user on the pc?

try making a test user and see if itunes loads.

Or hold down control and shift and open itunes - this opens it up in safe mode.

or del the pref folder - below

1. Open *My Computer* from the desktop or Start menu.
2. In the Tools menu, click *Folder Options.*
3. Click the View tab.
4. In the "Advanced settings" pane under "Hidden files and folders" make sure that the "Show hidden files and folders" option is selected.
5. Click OK.

Next, you'll remove the iTunes preference folder (and contained file).

6. In *My Computer,* open *Local Disk: C* or whichever drive your documents are stored on.
7. Open the *Documents and Settings* folder.
8. Open the folder with the name of the XP user account in which iTunes always shows the license agreement when launching.
9. Open the *Local Settings* folder.
10. Open the *Application Data* folder.
11. Open the *Apple Computer* folder.
12. Drag the iTunes folder out onto the Desktop.

Galdorf
12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Created a test account tried to install same thing it is stuck at gathering information since itunes and all apple software has been removed there is no way other than system restore and maybe try revo at deepest level i will give that a try.

Mr.Mike
12-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Galdorf, are you getting error code 2203? I'm working on uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes as well. Revo & CCleaner are no help. I got the 2203 error trying to uninstall through the control panel. I am following up and will get back to you asap.

Mr.Mike
12-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Galdorf, are you getting error code 2203? I'm working on uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes as well. Revo & CCleaner are no help. I got the 2203 error trying to uninstall through the control panel. I am following up and will get back to you asap.

I was able to completely remove all Apple Folders including the difficult Bonjour folder this way: http://www.geckoandfly.com/2501/how-to-remove-and-uninstall-bonjour-mdnsresponderexe-process/ (http://www.geckoandfly.com/2501/how-to-remove-and-uninstall-bonjour-mdnsresponderexe-process/)

You should be able to reinstall it when you want without being stopped by a window that says: "Unable to install ITunes, a newer version was detected" or something like that. Hope this helps.

eric76
12-28-2011, 08:34 PM
I had a problem similar to this with iTunes. It turned out to be ESET security. Killed the process and it worked like a charm. Of course It took about 3 hours to finally figure that out.

Galdorf
12-29-2011, 07:05 PM
This was an odd one for some reason the uninstaller was called twice and program was uninstalled twice, when re-installing it started 2 instances of windows installer when i killed task on one it finally installed and works no problem.

Mr.Mike
12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
This was an odd one for some reason the uninstaller was called twice and program was uninstalled twice, when re-installing it started 2 instances of windows installer when i killed task on one it finally installed and works no problem.

That's a new one for me. But then we're talking about Windows. Seen some strange stuff over the years. Glad it's solved now.