PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro CD - Genuine Advantage Version?

Bryce W
09-23-2008, 05:10 AM
Today I came across something interesting. A had a client who just dropped off his computer case and after some diagnosis time, I determined that the motherboard and hard drive had died. So, after the client gave me the go ahead I replaced them and went to install XP. I noticed there was no COD sticker on anywhere on the case so I called my client for the CD Key. He got the piece of paper it was on and read it out to me. I asked what version of XP it belonged to and it was XP Pro.

I guessed that it was a retail version (seeing he didnt have the key on the computer case) and the key didnt work. It said it wasnt a valid key. I then tried a OEM version, that didnt work either. So I tried a VLK version which also didnt work with that key.

I then called up Microsoft so they could tell me what version the XP cd key belong to and they said it wasnt a valid key.

Suspecting I wrote it down wrong, I called back my client to get him to read back the cd key and it was the same as I had written down earlier. I asked him how he came across this copy of XP (was it preinstalled, bought from a store etc..) and he said he got the genuine advantage popup some time ago and bought the legal version through there.

Microsoft then sent him out a email with the license key and eventually sent a legitimate XP disk. I recommended that the client bought them over which he did the next day.

I used his genuine advantage disk which looks different to the usual XP disks and used the CDKey printed on the email (which I checked was the same as the one I was read earlier) and it worked first time with no problems.

This leads me to believe that the "XP Professional Genuine Advantage Kit" version is a totally different disk to the OEM/Retail/VLK versions. Can anyone else confirm this? Has anyone else seen something like this before?

MrMille
09-23-2008, 08:58 AM
It sounds like the product of a veeery slick pirate operation.

Simmy
09-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I've only ever done 1 GAV of XP but luckily the customer had the CD. I didn't know they were different, otherwise I would have made an ISO from it for future reference.

I would mainly be questioning why microsoft told you it wasn't a valid key. Either it is genuine which makes the GAV a complete joke or it wasn't genuine and they got their key some other way. Can you post a pic of the GAV CD?

Bryce W
09-23-2008, 09:02 AM
The CD was full on holographic like the legit Windows CDs. It just had different writing and pattern on it. Im pretty sure it wasnt pirate.

Simmy, Ive already given back the disk. I did make an ISO image of it though (just the disk though, not the key of course).

jhoppe
09-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Is it a possibility that it is the SP2C CD that uses different serials? Each time I purchase a newer SP2C CD for pro there is a leaflet in there with large red lettering saying old XP serials will not work with these particular version of SP2C XP OEM...