PDA

View Full Version : Part Time Computer Repair - Income Tax Help...

JBCOMPU
12-24-2011, 11:00 PM
I repair computers part time, I would like to start the new year right, I would like to get a license dba, how do I do that? How do i declare taxes? I live in Houston Tx, to have a web site do I need any kind of license? Thanks for your help..... Have a Merry Christmass.....

RichmondTech
12-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Merry Christmas.

Get an accountant to help you. Seriously. Even if you decide to do the books yourself, paying an accountant to help set you up PROPERLY will be the best money you spend in 2012. They have all the info regarding taxes and business licenses in your state.

JBCOMPU
12-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Thanks for your advices, but I only repair computers part time, I just need to know the steps to declare taxes, can anybody give me an example? What forms do I use? Do i need a license to have a web site?? Thanks, Merry Christmasss

bluefalcon
12-25-2011, 04:16 AM
If you run a business full time or part time you will need a license to operate. For my area I have a license for state and county. Since I am not within the city limits, I do not have to purchase a city license.

As far as collecting taxes. If you are only selling services, you will not generate any sales tax. If you sell any products, you will be required to collect sales tax.

According to the Alabama Department of Revenue, they frown upon a business buying a product locally and paying the tax at the register then marking it up and selling it to your customer. They want you to purchase it tax free (using your tax id number), mark it up, sell it to your customer, and collect sales tax. Even though the difference is just a few cents, they want the few cents. One way around this is having the customer to purchase the hardware at a retailer and you install it and just charge labor.

As far as having a web site, if it is for your business, you will need a license.

Holzster
12-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I am in Texas also so here is what I know from my business but yes talk to an accountant.

1 - Go to your local county tax office & get a DBA for - about $10.00
2 - Go to Texas.gov & fill the form out after that to get a sales tax permit - that way you can collect tax when you resell something & also buy stuff tax exempt for resale (save you money)
3 - talk to an accountant to find out what stuff to save for your year end taxes!!!
4 - talk to the local tax department (state will have locations) & ask them what sales tax you must collect & how much % on each one - easy to do don't worry.

if you need any more help ask - my business info is below in my contact area you can find me there.

PC-Technix
12-25-2011, 03:52 PM
2 - Go to Texas.gov & fill the form out after that to get a sales tax permit - that way you can collect tax when you resell something & also buy stuff tax exempt for resale (save you money)

Be careful: If you collect sales tax make sure you save it, because end of year you will need to cough it up and if you don't have it you will be up ..... Creek without a paddle. And same goes for purchasing and being tax exempt

Benchtech
12-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Every place is different and here in Michigan:

- I can work from my home without a business license.
- Service work is non-taxable income (on the state level)
- If you make under a certain amount it's not worth setting up as a business but keep it as a hobby. I think it's under $8,000 but ask your local accountant.

rsarceno
12-26-2011, 09:16 AM
I just need to know the steps to declare taxes, can anybody give me an example? What forms do I use? Do i need a license to have a web site?? Thanks, Merry Christmasss

Try legalzoom.com They can help you with the paper work for a fee.

Holzster
12-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Be careful: If you collect sales tax make sure you save it, because end of year you will need to cough it up and if you don't have it you will be up ..... Creek without a paddle. And same goes for purchasing and being tax exempt

In Texas if you sell something that item is subject to sales tax, so collection giving it back is a known thing - the tax guy/gal I suggested to talk to will explain all of that.

TechLady
12-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Would love to hear about the rules and regs for CA...

PCSupportGlasgow
12-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Would love to hear about the rules and regs for CA...

not sure about CA but here in UK it suprising what asking the tax office will do for you. they not the ogre's the're made out to be unless your trying to screw them

GeekPCSupport
12-27-2011, 03:13 AM
As far as having a web site, if it is for your business, you will need a license.

There is no business license requirement to open up a website. All you need to do is buy the domain name and hosting at any of the registrars that appeal to you.

I personally use Namecheap (http://www.namecheap.com). Their .com domains are $9.98/year and their hosting starts at $3.95/month if paid annually.

Hopes this helps,

Guillermo

Tony_Scarpelli
12-27-2011, 11:35 PM
For part time income and expense tracking buy "taxes for dummies" or any other how to tax book. What you need is so simple I wouldn't spend much.

The best advise I ever got about the subject when I was young and beginning my first business attempt was "Get a checking acct only for the business entity, not a personal acct and do not use it for personal things." Then deposit all income into that account which establishes your total gross income. Then write all business expenses, charges and such out of the checking account which categorizes and establishes your business expenses. Money left over is profit more or less (as well as any money paid out to you-draws).

The only other thing you need done is to take a mileage deduction for the miles traveled to do your computer work and possibly office in the home deductions. Any H&R block tax preparer can do your taxes with the information you have in this checking account and your normal W2 income and items you take already..

Every September Jackson Hewitt tax franchise offers a free tax course and you only need pay for the $59 workbook. The class is one night a week for about 5-6 weeks. It is worth it to take this class. (I take it about every 4-5 years to keep up to date) it will give you enough knowledge to do your own business bookkeeping and taxes.

You may not need Quickbooks. You might get by with Quicken home and business. You should be able to work through the examples and set it up to work without an accountant. The main thing is to get everything recorded.

By the time you hire a helper it will be time to visit with an accountant.

Keith G
12-28-2011, 04:21 AM
Sign up for less accounting.com and skip tax class an the read all together. Your online personal accountant for $20 a month

Just the easy route I took , I've prepared personal & business tax returns for the last 4 years. Keeping track of expenses
Can become a nightmare