PDA

View Full Version : Internet on the job

abe
09-18-2008, 04:59 AM
Hi all
What do you do when your on a job and you need to use the internet. Ofcourse the easiest thing to do is use the clients connection but sometimes you don't have that choice (ie. the client has dial up or no connection at all.) I do have my cell phone with me which can be used as a modem in case of emergency but it isn't very quick What other choices are there?

seedubya
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Not very many. If you've got 3G coverage then a 3G PAYG modem is a nice option. But that's about it really. At least over here.

tartis
09-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I have a Sprint data card which I can use in a pinch.

mh348
09-18-2008, 12:31 PM
I used to use my phone as a Modem as it has 3G (HSDPA), but I recently bought a 3G pcmcia Modem which now stays connect to my laptop.

ootuoyetahi
09-18-2008, 04:50 PM
I ran into a problem where i needed the internet and only had my phone. It just taught me to be as prepared as possible and try and bring anything i might need so I dont get stuck like that again.

robert152
09-18-2008, 05:05 PM
If you really need internet in a bind and you have a laptop, the easiest method is a wireless plan...Verizon, AT&T, and Cricket are ones that offer it off the top of my head.

I know this is probably really determined on area, but I know here in California they are widely offered for a fee. Like $50/month. In a bind it can really come in handy. Just another method to look at.

ootuoyetahi
09-18-2008, 05:29 PM
$50.00/month seems like a lot when there are other alternatives. I'd rather use my slow cellphone as a modem for the few times I'll actually have to than to shell out $50/month. Thats just my 2 cents.

robert152
09-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree, it is outrageously priced. I don't have it, one of my friends do, but he uses it all of the time so I guess it works well for him.

People just wanted some internet solutions and I was just offering a solution, that is all :P I know I could be wrong, but isn't a data plan on your cellphone expensive as well? Plus, it's horrendously slow.

desert_gold_hound
09-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Satalite Internet its somewhat fast, you can run it through your routers, and you have another item you can sell the customer on. Show them how it works.

The test you take is free, online and very very EASY. Then you have the ability to set it up when you need it. I don't have an account right now but when I did I loved it. The only draw back is that there is a delay. So you wouldn't want to play games that required quick responce or use it for VOIP. The speeds are wonderfull but not what cable gives you.

The down side is finding signal every time you need internet. This doesnt take long but if you don't have a clear veiw of the satalite you are going to have to find one. I only ran into problems finding signal a couple of times when I was doing installs.

bagellad
09-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Where do you learn how to do that?

bitznpcz
09-27-2008, 08:17 AM
I recently signed up to a 3G package with three.co.uk via the Quidco payback site. I get 5gb a month downloads for only 7.50 a month.

Found this via Martin Lewis' website - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-mobile-broadband#cheapest

three's coverage is not 100% of the uk, but so far seems to be ok. I get an average connection speed of 1gb/s which is far better than using the customer dial up connection!!

Need to treat myself to a nice Eee now to save lugging the laptop around...

desert_gold_hound
09-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Where do you learn how to do that?

Its easy, Free, and learn at your own pace (or cheat at your own pace). I like the courses. They make it fun. I think you could cheat your way through but there is no need if you read every thing and make sure to check every link.

Here is the link

http://www.starband.com/training/

pccpr
12-04-2009, 03:19 AM
you might want to consider this option. autonetmobile.com

Hi all
What do you do when your on a job and you need to use the internet. Ofcourse the easiest thing to do is use the clients connection but sometimes you don't have that choice (ie. the client has dial up or no connection at all.) I do have my cell phone with me which can be used as a modem in case of emergency but it isn't very quick What other choices are there?

Fixedathome.com
12-04-2009, 04:14 PM
If I just need to browse for information then I use my iPhone, if I need anything else I use my netbook with mobile broadband.

JosephLeo
12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
If I just need to browse for information then I use my iPhone, if I need anything else I use my netbook with mobile broadband.

+1, minus the iPhone...that thing looks like a toy in front of customers.

I have a netbook with mobile broadband- although I'm simply dying for a tablet for the sole purpose of the professional look.

Mouse Mate
12-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I have a HTC touch HD (iphone killer!) with a data bundle which is perfect for quick googling. And when needed I have a Vodafone USB pay as you go dongle, Vodafone is the only PAYG dongle where your credit doesn't expire after 30 days (this is UK by the way). I bought it in July for 30 quid, came with 15 credit and I haven't topped it up yet. Great stuff! :cool:

ProTech Support
12-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi all

You know, this was always a concern for me. What I ended up doing was adding the option to use my Blackberry as a modem. At the time it was $20 to do so, but I found it to be a waste in the end. In the year that I had it activated, I used it once and it had nothing to do with a client. Most of the time I am able to hook into the clients internet connection. If for some reason there internet is down, I usually come prepared with everything I need anyway.

Rob
12-08-2009, 01:21 AM
+1, minus the iPhone...that thing looks like a toy in front of customers.

I have a netbook with mobile broadband- although I'm simply dying for a tablet for the sole purpose of the professional look.

The nice thing about iPhones is it's hard for shoulder sitters to see what you're doing - perfect if you're stumped and you want to do a sneaky google ;) Most of the time I'll own up if I don't know, but there's the rare situation when I don't. :)

BryanLee
12-12-2009, 05:10 AM
I use PDA Sync with my iphone. Just plug it in and voila...internet on my laptop. My iphone is jailbroken, but i'm not 100% sure if that is still a requirement to tether with the iphone.

PcTek9
12-12-2009, 08:24 PM
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/i/z/rv/2004/09/nokia-9300-400x480.jpg

I can download directly to it, then save to the card, and remove that card and stick it in a pc, or i can enable the bluetooth. So I can just lay it by my laptop or at least have it in the same room.

The laptop makes a bluetooth connection to the phone, then the phone dials the internet, it's about 15 x faster than 56k on a slow day. :) Still plenty fast for me.

Then when I want, I can use it for irc, web, email, etc...

pccpr
12-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Who provides your cellular service do they allow tethering,or are you required to have a data plan?

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/i/z/rv/2004/09/nokia-9300-400x480.jpg

I can download directly to it, then save to the card, and remove that card and stick it in a pc, or i can enable the bluetooth. So I can just lay it by my laptop or at least have it in the same room.

The laptop makes a bluetooth connection to the phone, then the phone dials the internet, it's about 15 x faster than 56k on a slow day. :) Still plenty fast for me.

Then when I want, I can use it for irc, web, email, etc...

Computer Chip
12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I am able to tether my Motorola K1m Krzr to my laptop using bluetooth. I do not have a data plan so it costs me minutes during daytime but it gives me near 1Mbs, Perfect for the quick lookup or file download. BTW I am with Verizon

itwaskaisersoze
01-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi all

This was an issue I struggled with over the summer. I had a job contracted out to me in which I was to install a customer's new Dell. When I got there, I found that the only reason the customer bought a new Dell was because his MSN 9 software was telling him that he needed to upgrade to new software, and that his current computer would not meet the minimum requirements- I know, I didn't really have to include that, but I always thought it interesting that a free software title forced someone to upgrade their hardware...

The problem I encountered was that the customer only received an UPGRADE CD from MSN, and since he was on a new computer, we had to download the entire version- using a DIAL-UP connection.

After an hour and a half later (I promised this guy that I wouldn't leave until he was up and running... oops), and after watching the old guy suck down a half pack of smokes, I was done and out the door. I promised myself on that day that I would never put myself in that position again.

I jailbroke my iPhone, and I now use an app that converts my iphone into a wireless router. When turned on, I can surf in most areas if needed, anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 mb down, and print to my wireless work order printer in my van.

I know I know- you're not supposed to do that... but oh well. Even when I use my phone for internet, I bet I don't use a fraction of the bandwidth that the younger generation YouTubers use, and I flat out refuse to pay $30 for a data plan on my phone, and then turn around and drop $65/mo for an air card. This solution is perfect for me, and I don't abuse my bandwidth on my 'unlimited' (LOL) data plan.

itwaskaisersoze
01-03-2010, 06:30 PM
I use PDA Sync with my iphone. Just plug it in and voila...internet on my laptop. My iphone is jailbroken, but i'm not 100% sure if that is still a requirement to tether with the iphone.

I used PDA Sync for a while- got a little frustrated when trying to connect. The connection process took way too long for me. If your phone is already jailbroken, you should look up MiWi. You will love it. When it's installed, all you do is turn on tethering by the press of a button- instant hotspot.

As for tethering- the iPhone upgrade that gave us MMS messaging also gave us the option to tether. I have not tried to use it, but apparently you can tether using either USB or Bluetooth. The only stated stipulation is that "Additional Usage Charges May Apply". I guess you need to buy a data plan for your data plan, or something... :rolleyes: