PDA

View Full Version : ok guys i'm ready to be flamed

jj2000
09-14-2008, 07:21 PM
:D:D:D:D
what i am looking for is a linux distro that can be run comfortably on an old machine with the following specs...
intel celeron 1.1Ghz,256 meg Ram 60gig hd space,

i know the specs are crappy but i have been given a load of these from a business that has just upgraded, these machines currently have a VLK of win2000 pro on them but i am looking to sell these so i do not want the hassle of re-licensing the os, so i am looking for suggestions as to what if any version of linux will be happy on this level of hardware.

At the moment i have one of these running an old version of knoppix 3.9 i think but i dont think its a very apt OS for a newcomer to play with i am considering an early ubuntu with the xfce interface what do you guys think of 6.10.
any suggestions would be much appreciated.

seedubya
09-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Why flamed?

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/edgy/

jj2000
09-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Why flamed?

because i really should know the answer to this and it seemed such a silly question to be asking and normally asking questions that daft on linux forums tend to lead to some flaming even if goodnatured.
just a question about Ubuntu and its upgrades does it try to upgrade automatically a'la windows update or can it be turned off so that these machines can be kept at ubuntu 6.10

09-14-2008, 08:30 PM
XUbuntu 8.04 would run very well on those specs, no need to get an older version.

jj2000
09-14-2008, 08:38 PM
ok thanks for the suggestions guys i'm gonna look into both 'buntu`s and also i am looking at Zenwalk5.2 as i quite like the style of it.

any other suggestions would still be appreciated.

jj2000
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
a quick update, looks like it is going to be possible to utilise these machines as they are.
I was informed by the owner of the business that they were Vlk licensed but it turns out that each machine has its own code label on the inside of the case,each being different numbers as well so it looks like i can just do a clean reinstall of win2000 and get them on the shelf for sale.
thanks for the suggestions its always nice to try new stuff out but i gotta say that ubuntu 8.04 ran like a 3 legged dog on the couple i tried where zenwalk 5.2 and win 2000 runs fine so i wouldn't suggest anyone try to install 8.04 or above on this level of hardware.