PDA

View Full Version : The best Virus protection

ipodman
02-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Hello,

So which one of the above is the Virus protection out their right now?

Stealth
02-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Still voting for Other as I'm using Sophos SAAV. Hasn't ever let me down, and the heuristics don't act like a hair trigger and give false detections.

bongo
02-22-2006, 04:39 PM
i begin to disapointed in norton..at the beginning,they would catch a lot of virus but now the virus are clawing all over my disk..argh..how about avast?

hwang
03-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Norton is still my best choice for virus protection.
After I use F-Prot, I think it's not listed, but is another good software to use.

Jura
04-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I can't stand Norton. Never protected me. I found it to be bulky, too. Didn't help when it was ruined by this one virus I got. That sure wasn't fun. <_<

I use Avast.

Emperor
04-19-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm using Norton at the moment.

It's working okay, it catches everything I need it too. I don't go to any sketchy websites that would give me viruses, so it does enough.

I used to use McAfee, but it conflicted with multiple programs on my PC, so it was gone.

Neo
04-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Meh, been using NOD32 for the longest time now. Stays quiet, doesn't hog resources, and updates silently.

Kiwwa
05-16-2006, 06:47 PM
I use AVG-Free and recommend it to people ALL the time, however i'm also a fan of NOD32.

AVG-Free is... FREE and works just as well as anything else i've ever used, scans my computer every day after automatically updating itself automatically, it's just nice nice nice from the top to the bottom.

Bryce W
05-17-2006, 05:14 AM
I use AVG-Free and recommend it to people ALL the time, however i'm also a fan of NOD32.

AVG-Free is... FREE and works just as well as anything else i've ever used, scans my computer every day after automatically updating itself automatically, it's just nice nice nice from the top to the bottom.
I second that, I recommend it to all my clients.

Michael S.
05-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I am currently using McAfee, I haven't had any problems with it yet, although I haven't had it that long. When I was using Norton, I had a lot of thing popping up on my computer, one of which was a keylogger. Whenever it was found, I could never remove it, no matter what program I used because whenever it was found, my computer restarted, and my Norton antivirus was just blocking the information from being sent (if I remember corretly) and Norton was expiring in like 10 days, so I had to reboot the whole computer to make sure none of the information the keylogger retrieved was sent out.

Duality
05-28-2006, 05:05 AM
I hate Norton Antivirus. It's slow, it takes up a lot of memory and it doesn't even find half of the viruses that are actually there. I like Panda a lot more.

MysteryMan
05-31-2006, 09:31 AM
I am a big fan of NOD32 too. I am glad some people here mentioned it. Many people haven't even heard about it. It does its job well, is easy to use and is really light on memory. AVG is a good option if you are looking for a free antivirus. I hate norton and don't understand why so many people use it.

A Guy
06-03-2006, 10:00 AM
I am a big fan of NOD32 too. I am glad some people here mentioned it. Many people haven't even heard about it. It does its job well, is easy to use and is really light on memory. AVG is a good option if you are looking for a free antivirus. I hate norton and don't understand why so many people use it.

i went to www.freedownloads.com and searched up NOD32 and to download it i have to pay where can i get it for free?

JapanimemanDO
07-01-2006, 05:46 PM
I am currently using McAfee, I haven't had any problems with it yet, although I haven't had it that long. When I was using Norton, I had a lot of thing popping up on my computer, one of which was a keylogger. Whenever it was found, I could never remove it, no matter what program I used because whenever it was found, my computer restarted, and my Norton antivirus was just blocking the information from being sent (if I remember corretly) and Norton was expiring in like 10 days, so I had to reboot the whole computer to make sure none of the information the keylogger retrieved was sent out.

I'm using McAffee right now and I'm starting to hate it, everyhting was noticeably slower and it's so annoying with its own pop up "alerts" on how I should buy new versions.
:confused:
I need help though because I think this problem is caused by McAffee...
Whenever I shut down my comp this message comes comes up named "End Program - XPCOM: Event Receiver" and I hate this because it slows things down. It says that it is ending all programs and ending now will make all unsaved data be lost, and a little load bar comes up. After the load bar is full it always says "this program is not responding". I don't know why it comes up because I've made it a habit of closing all programs before shutting down, even disconnecting my internet connection.

Can someone help me fix this?

Blues
07-01-2006, 10:48 PM
of the brands listed I am happy with Trend Micro's PC-Cillin for my machines in the past though mine did run out of date and just have yet to update it in about 6 months Im jobless and the machine has become rather dormant since the end of the semester anyhow other wise there are many good alternatives out there

I personaly hate McAfee and Norton both are system hogs and just feel bulky I like light simple and plenty of options that are avialable for knowledged users but not in the way to confuse the rest that is an ideal anti-virus or any program really

A Guy
07-03-2006, 03:54 AM
I use AVG

i hated Norton i scanned my computer a long time ago and it came up 65 infections ,i clicked the delete button and it sayed "cannot delete 65 viruses"
plus it takes up alot of memory:p

JapanimemanDO
07-07-2006, 09:17 AM
After reading all of these, I ditched McAfee, and now I'm looking into some new ones.

This is what I plan on downloading:
-AVG-Free (as opposed to Avast)
-ZoneAlarm
-and of course AdAware SE

Is this a good plan? I'm no techie, in fact I'm kinda new to this and I need your guys' help, especially Knuckles'.

Bryce W
07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
-AVG-Free (as opposed to Avast)
-ZoneAlarm
-and of course AdAware SE

Is this a good plan? I'm no techie, in fact I'm kinda new to this and I need your guys' help, especially Knuckles'.
Without a doubt, go AVG. Uses barely any resources, doesnt put crap files in critical system areas (unlike Norton and McAfee), can be run off a USB drive, detects more than Norton (havent compared side by side with McAfee yet) and best of all, its free.

Zonealarm is fine, most of the firewalls out there are pretty similar.

AdAware is a good product as well, however not downloading adware/spyware in the first place is the best method.

JapanimemanDO
07-07-2006, 07:21 PM
I just got rid of McAfee, and installed AVG and let me tell you, I'm so much more pleased with it. It detected (in a virus scan) a couple thousand more files and luckily they were virus free.

It's good having a program like AVG to keep the comp. clean but I also need a firewall to protect it in the first place. I was thinking of ZoneAlarm because I heard it works with AVG (even tho AVG has its own) but I was also thinking of using Kerio.

Which do you guys recommend?

Goob
07-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Personally I hate Norton, and like both AVG and McAfee, but the downside is now that I've got vista none of these work, except for pc-cillin beta, which hesitantly I had to install

Bryce W
07-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I havent used Kerio but I have used Zonealarm. Seems to be a solid product when I used it. Of course, it does rely on you knowing what things are.

For example, if it said "msimn.exe is trying to access the internet" you will need to know what that file actually is and choose an appropriate action for it. msimn.exe is part of Outlook Express so you have got to allow it internet access.

Also, if/when you buy ZoneAlarm, if you use the banner to the left here, you'll get $10 or $20 off.

ebittner
07-16-2006, 05:19 PM
I am going to have to say that Norton is the best becasue I is the only program that I have ever used for virus protection

Netman
07-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Macfree and Norton are the two that I have used and they are both pretty good but Macfree has done more for me so it is going to have to be my favorite.

shimmeringgraphix
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Personally I think Norton is the WORST. I prefer Macafee

gunslinger
07-15-2007, 10:23 PM
I hate Norton Antivirus. It's slow, it takes up a lot of memory and it doesn't even find half of the viruses that are actually there. I like Panda a lot more.

Norton is a resource hog from hell, plus you are right it picks up very little. Panda is pretty good until you try to remove it. I use kaspersky and have been very happy with it. I also like AVG.

Simmy
08-12-2007, 08:39 PM
My two cents - NOD32 is the dogs danglies :D

Just incase you lot are interested, it's easy to become a NOD32 reseller. Simply sign up on their website and you can benefit from a 30% discount, going upto to 40% depending on how many you sell. You get a web login aswell, so you can buy a license for a customer whilst onsite.

gunslinger
08-13-2007, 12:25 AM
I think the best protection against viruses/spyware/maleware is to use your head and be careful what you open.

rurbaniak
08-13-2007, 01:03 AM
For the residential client I always recommend Free AVG, For the business client we recommend Norton Antivirus Corporate or Small Business. Norton's business version is pretty good, and alot less instrusive than the residental versions of Norton and Mcaffe.

jsmith773
08-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Hello,

So which one of the above is the Virus protection out their right now?

Best Software is Nod32 made by eset ( eset.com) when downloading updates it only has 2 percent cpu spike and only takes up 30 mb you can also run it from a flash drive. Its not free but it worth every penny.

gunslinger
08-21-2007, 08:34 PM
I still think its more a factor of browsing habits and common sense. I know people that have been running there computers with no protection at all for months and have no problems at all, i know others that no matter what they use they still get infested with all manner of crap. If you stick to one of the top 4-5 antivirus softwares out there, keep it up to date and at the first sign of trouble stop everything and run it you should be fine. I think most people get into trouble when they visit shady sites and click on things the should'nt. Its a personal thing. If its your computer, and everything is backed up lets say its a gamming rig, and you are up on what you should and should not do, then you might use the very minimum protection. If on the other hand you have teenagers or older people using the system you might want to install something super sensitive like avast that will almost not let you do anything.

thecoldone06
08-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Does Free AVG offer real time monitoring or scanning only?

gunslinger
08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
It offers real time protection and is one of the better ones out right now. As long as you stay away from norton you will be ok.

thecoldone06
08-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Thats what i currently am using is norton. Well, symantec enterprise edition which is still as much of a hog as norton. I'm definitely going to give free AVG a try.

gunslinger
08-22-2007, 03:14 AM
As a test I once installed a keylogger on my kids system. Norton was ok with it, I remove norton and installed AVG , it went crazy and would not let me do anything until I removed the keylogger.

darren1270
08-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Actually I have been using AVG now for about a month or two on my own systems and I find it to be very light on resources as apposed to Mcafee or norton. I infact started a back to school special where if the customer does not have antivirus software or wants to free up some of the system I will install it for them. And feel free to check out my site and give any sugestions... LOL but I guess I can't post my site yet... Oh well I have a few more posts to make.

breadtrk
08-23-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.browerpc.com/1.html

There ya go.

rurbaniak
08-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Best Software is Nod32 made by eset ( eset.com) when downloading updates it only has 2 percent cpu spike and only takes up 30 mb you can also run it from a flash drive. Its not free but it worth every penny.

Yea, I'm just starting to test out NOD32, and really like it. How do you make it portable for a flash drive?

thecoldone06
08-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Yea, I'm just starting to test out NOD32, and really like it. How do you make it portable for a flash drive?

You can use NSIS which is a free download. Haven't tried it yet but have it downloaded. I've been looking at the instructions and it seems involved. There is also Thinstall which is not free and I'm not sure how much it costs as they don't list the pricing on their website. However it seems like its a little easier to do with Thinstall.

gunslinger
08-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Its much easier with thinstall. You just run the setup capture let it scan your system then install the app you want made portable. Next you scan your system again and save the changes to a dir. There will ba a batch file in the folder you saved to. Run this file and you will see it creat a "bin" folder, inside that is your portable app. This does not work with all programs, but I have only had it fail maybe 3-4 times after having done maybe 150-200 apps.

basic
09-05-2007, 05:24 AM
NOD32 for the win.

Mac
09-09-2007, 01:39 AM
kaspersky internet security....

KAV is by far the best. Its updated once every hour 24/7

What more can you ask for? ;)

gunslinger
09-09-2007, 01:46 AM
I agree, Kaspersky is my fave as well.

The Goatboy
09-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Actually I have been using AVG now for about a month or two on my own systems and I find it to be very light on resources as apposed to Mcafee or norton. I infact started a back to school special where if the customer does not have antivirus software or wants to free up some of the system I will install it for them. And feel free to check out my site and give any sugestions... LOL but I guess I can't post my site yet... Oh well I have a few more posts to make.

The website (browerpc.com) looks good but it seems your only method of customer contact is your email address. There is no physical or mailing address and no phone number; if your doing this business on the side I guess I can see it. I only knew that your located North of Pittsburgh based on your info in this forum.

As for the thread topic concerning AV; if you're looking for free then AVG is the hands down winner. I've used AVG for awhile and recommend to most friends/family/side customers. I'm starting to play with Kaspersky, but I haven't used it enough yet to make a recommendation on.

I work as a consultant for a solution provider and for corporate customers we sell Trend 99% of the time and Symantec/Norton the other 1%. I was using Symantec's Internet Security 2006 version because it came with my laptop; I've manually updated since the usual demo is only 90 days. It wasn't too much of a hog, but I've just recently uninstalled it and tried Norton 360; I am seeing considerable slowdown of my laptop and it won't be much longer before it annoys me to the point that it is also uninstalled. I may try Kaspersky or NOD32 on my laptop sooner than later. I've also used Trend's Internet Security products in the past and I still like them as well.

idiot_savant
09-12-2007, 01:49 AM
I use AVG-Free and Clamwin both are good :)

gunslinger
09-12-2007, 03:09 PM
The problem with the top 3-4 brands of antivirus software is that they have reached the point of diminishing returns. The programs have gotten so resource hungry they slow your system down more than the malware they are protecting it from.

bubba zen
09-30-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm a Kaspersky believer and reseller. It's my GOTO product for disinfecting client computers. Clients who run other AV scanners are easily sold once they've seen how effective Kaspersky really is and usually purchase a two-year license through me. It's a great upsale and I leave confident my client's computer is well protected.

nonchalant
11-02-2007, 03:25 PM
TrustPort for 32-Bit..Avira for 64-Bit..

jazz
11-02-2007, 04:29 PM
I vote for Kaspersky too.. We're resellers of most major AV Companies, but when it comes to personally using, recommending or disinfecting clients pc's i ONLY use and Recommend Kaspersky !

Nothing beats the effectiveness and speed of Kaspersky...

goto http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ to see reviews of most AV's out there if still in doubt.

We resell Bitdefender too, but i still recommend kaspersky.

DarkEdge
11-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I use Avast both on my systems and on my clients. Its light and reliable.

dipper
11-07-2007, 10:39 AM
If you are putting an AV onto a clients computer that is used for business purposes then you better check the license if you put on a "free" program. Most free AV programs are not to be used on business machines.

FYI My recommendations are Kaspersky or CA Antivirus.

jkieran
11-21-2007, 07:54 PM

Agreed, Nod32 is the best!

greggh
11-21-2007, 08:08 PM
I definately agree with Kaspersky, next up I would say CA. Norton is one of the first things I uninstall when I see it on a system. Hell, uninstalling norton a LOT of the times actually fixes the problem.

Blues
11-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I set up Kaspersky and testing it out on my parents, I can't test myself that well I have run a PC with out any security and been clean so Im a bad guinea pig. I have to fix plenty of issues for my parents so I think getting them setup on it is a good way to test it and it is rated well enough and so far but time will be the better answer. For retail so far I am liking Kaspersky Internet Security Suite I know many who like Trend Micro and I had good luck with them in the past so they are up there on my list but I think they are still more bloated then Kaspersky. Norton is a system hog it works by making so much either not work or run so slow you can't get infected. I am curious though what are good solutions for a corpate environment we use Symantec here and it runs great Im curious how the others compare in this world where you install a central management server console and then a client protection app.

JohnR
11-21-2007, 10:01 PM
I use Avast Free on my home PC, Avast Professional on my work laptop, and I use AVG Network for most of my clients - reasonable price for corporate use, effective, doesn't cripple their system performance.

I see no reason to change, really. And I can't stand Norton - it's unreliable, unstable, and it really hammers performance. And for that, they want you to PAY for a home license?

GraemeP
11-21-2007, 10:09 PM
I voted other becuase NOD32 was not on the list .

gunslinger
11-22-2007, 06:18 PM
I definately agree with Kaspersky, next up I would say CA. Norton is one of the first things I uninstall when I see it on a system. Hell, uninstalling norton a LOT of the times actually fixes the problem.

I agree 100% Norton IS the problem. The norton removal tool is one of the best things on my flash drive.

TechnoKelvin
04-17-2008, 06:23 AM
This may sound stupid... but I don't get it.

If AVG is so good why wouldn't Norton, Mcafee, NOD32, Kaspersky, etc. go out of business. Why wouldn't everyone use a free anti virus tool that is better than paid ones?

What do the others have that AVG doesn't that you would go and pay for one?

Besides the name brand, free is bad, and other stigma (Is that even the right word? :p) associated with paying for something.

I was thinking of installing AVG on all computers I remove spyware/viruses from but I want to make sure if a customer asks me "Why not actually buy one?" I can come up with a good enough reason other than "Because Technibble said so". :D

Nathan H
04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Basically Norton used to be one of the best A/V on the market, they then got bought out by Symantec.

Symantec have added a lot of other apps to it, and it now hogs resources, and really slows down your PC.

AVG does not have any of the added apps and therefore uses far less resources, and its Free.

I used to be of the group of people you thought "if its free it can't possibly be as good as one i pay for."

I read up on avg from various forums and found amongst other techs this wasn't the case, 99% of them rated it very good in fact better than Norton and mcafee...

I now use AVG and have a portable version on my USB drive

Hope this helps

Crgky127
04-18-2008, 05:10 AM
Also, Norton and Mcafee have deals with computer companies and retailers. People stick with what they know, which is furthered with their renewal options.

Dominic
03-10-2009, 11:53 PM
yes i too use and recomend AVG free to all my customers

ProTech Support
03-11-2009, 12:44 AM
I am def. a huge fan of AVG, but for some reason it never seems to pick up anything unless I run scans in safe mode. On about 4-5 clients I ran a scan in Windows; found nothing, then went to Safe Mode and found a ton of infections...

At that point I started looking at alternatives. I like Avast, but for some reason not really anything to rave about. I still like/recommend AVG, maybe it was just a coincidence on the safe mode thing.

ProTech Support
03-11-2009, 12:46 AM

AVG also has a decent resellers program if you recommend them a lot. I believe you get something like a 20% discount on everything.

l337
03-11-2009, 04:21 AM
im a huge fan of Eset

ifelloutofatree
03-11-2009, 07:42 AM
I just lurrve Kaspersky security suite - but version 7 - don't like the 09 changes, though I have clients who find it too difficult to use and want a simpler interface - oh and of course norton sucks big time - :cool:

Blues
03-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I just lurrve Kaspersky security suite - but version 7 - don't like the 09 changes, though I have clients who find it too difficult to use and want a simpler interface - oh and of course norton sucks big time - :cool:

I have a few people with kaspersky and while sure the interface has some issues I think it is actually easier for someone not familiar with it all. I also find that those who have it almost never have to do anything with it. I check it anytime I work on thier PC to see if it logs any trouble to be worried about. Everyone I have using it has upgraded to the 2009 and might be little heavier on resource but ultimately it works great.

gunslinger
03-11-2009, 03:00 PM

Agreed. Kaspersky is still my all time fave antivirus. Set it up and forget it, and it actually asks if you want to delete the tools from your mobile kit. :rolleyes:

ashwin
03-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I have been using kaspersky v7.0 for an year.It works fine,it catches most of the viruses..

Galdorf
03-11-2009, 07:32 PM
I recommend avg free to customers for pay av I have yet to see anything beat Kapersky.

Malware and zero day threats i use ThreatFire free with any av it catches just about everything it uses cloud computing to find zero day threats.

Menaice
03-15-2009, 05:48 AM
Symantec End Point 11 is probably the best IMO. Everyone will tend to lean towards what they use the most and what they think is the best. I deploy End Point on all the SBS-Servers and so far its been great no problems at all.

seedubya
03-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Endpoint has two issues 1) it's made by Symantec, an immediate turn off for many 2) I find the server module a bit of a memory/processor hog - it needs a reasonably beefy server to run on.

Blues
03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
I use End Point 11 becuase work provides it free to use on my home PC. I must say I just keep debating between buying Kaspersky or sticking with a product I dislike. My biggest issue with End Point 11 is that it like all Symantec porducts has a horrible detection rate. I have seen month old viruses easily slip through a fully updated Syamntec product including End Point 11. I have seen the same virus stopped by Kaspersky and I seen it stop a week old virus.

jimllfixit
04-15-2009, 02:51 PM
I did have a hatred for Norton but 2009 is very good, however I use Panda I have found that to be very good at doing a lot.

CharleslRay
04-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Same here with Norton, although I've heard the corporate edition runs the smoothest. I do find myself removing norton more often than not from clients comps based on other conflictions with speed, auto updates or other apps/antivirus programs, both stock and freeware.

john222
04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
What about BitDefender Internet Security 2009? That is what I have been using and selling to my clients. It seems to have a good reputation if you google it.

Has any one else used it? What are your thoughts?

John

K007
04-17-2009, 06:50 PM
About a month ago I got a bad m/f virus.
At the time I was using ESET home security (NOD32 antivirus)
That virus stopped ESET from starting up. It would just not start either at startup or manually.
So I decided to clean my own PC using Kaspersky.
Uninstalled ESET and tried to install Kaspersky.. you guess right it would not let me install Kaspersky.
Few months back I did some sort of helping out work for some small IT company and the guy I was working with on that day mentioned NORTON 2009 as being excellent. I hated Norton since 2001, so you can imagine I was looking at him with suspicion.
However, after lack of success in installing Kaspersky, I remembered that guy. He was a very exeprienced and qualified person, MCSE, CCNE, A+, etc.
So I downloaded Norton 2009.
It has installed with no problems, and cleaned the hell out of the virus.
On top of that, it uses less resources than Kaspersky but more than ESET.
ESET is not anymore what it used to be 3 years ago.

So, all the points go to ..... NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2009.

Blues
04-17-2009, 08:46 PM
it uses less resources than Kaspersky I would just like to know how you determined this? Did you use the same PC? Did you check another PC running Kaspersky? I can see where you could tell for ESET since it was on the machine before.

K007
04-17-2009, 10:20 PM
I used the same PC of course because I wanted an antivirus that would not be stopped by a virus.
If I was to clean it remotely I would have not known that Norton could be installed while Kaspersky not.
This is my own laptop I am talking about. So I spared no efforts in choosing the right antivirus to clean it and to avoid same problem in the future.

And yes, I have installed Kaspersky before on diferent computers as well, it takes more resources than Norton Internet Security 2009.

Now Norton Internet Security runs on all my PC (5) in the lab that includes the laptop.

eric76
04-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Norton isn't what it was four years ago, it's one of the best on the market. I use Norton Security Suite 2009 and I've never had any problems. In fact, they have one of the best recovery tools (The Norton Recovery Tool) out there for systems that are really infested.

iptech
04-18-2009, 07:27 AM
I use Norton IS 2009 and it's very good indeed, way better than the bloatware they've been peddling for the past few years.

rballard77
04-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I currently use and recommend AVG Free. It has worked well for me with automatic scans and updates. I used to use McAfee, but got rid of it when viruses were not getting detected. AVG Free might not be the best, but it is the best when it comes to my personal experience.

gunslinger
04-22-2009, 12:21 PM
I still dislike Norton, even though it uses less system resources now. It still deletes files off of my flash drive without asking me first. No program should do that. Kaspersky is running on my system right now and using 32 mb of RAM. I have 4 gigs in this system, I'm really not bogged down...lol. Compare this to another program I use every day, firefox is using 127 mb.

Fixedathome.com
04-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Eset for me although I'd be equally happy with Kaspersky. For freebie I tend to go with Avast or Avira.

I still dislike Norton, even though it uses less system resources now. It still deletes files off of my flash drive without asking me first. No program should do that. Kaspersky is running on my system right now and using 32 mb of RAM. I have 4 gigs in this system, I'm really not bogged down...lol. Compare this to another program I use every day, firefox is using 127 mb.

Yup that annoys the crap out of me.

Blues
04-22-2009, 06:12 PM
We have the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Security, the corperate/enterprise/domain AV solution, you know what issue I still have with it is detection rates. The memory utilization is fine but on the PCs we use, which are sadly about 5 years old, it still has a CPU utilization on boot hitting atleast 30% and on up to 60%. It is much better then what is was but it needs improvements if this is any show of what the commercial/residential/consumer client is.

holyspidoo
05-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Don't forget that the RAM usage is not a good indicator. Kaspersky slows down a machine. Period. And it has many conflicts with certain applications. I never recommend it for fear of having clients callbacks.

I advise to get Avira these days. Light, doesnt slow down if you disable webguard in premium version (not a problem in free version) and I've yet to see it interfere with anything else (except the webguard thing).

Very eager to see how well Panda Cloud performs.

eggy53
05-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I have heard good things about Avira, I currently use and love Avast, But have been thinking about AVG. What you guys think

Avast - AVG - Avira?

DanF
05-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Used AVG and Avast in the past. Both are very good software. But at the moment I'm using Avira AntiVir, prefer it over the others.

CPCR
05-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Avira Free is my preferred choice for installing on client home systems, I use the Premium security suite on my desktop and it is the best I have come across so far.

The system I use for cleaning uses GData as this uses 2 virus engines and is really effective at cleaning.

This site keeps me up to date on the AV software suites out there and is worth a visit.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

gunslinger
05-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Don't forget that the RAM usage is not a good indicator. Kaspersky slows down a machine. Period. And it has many conflicts with certain applications. I never recommend it for fear of having clients callbacks.

I advise to get Avira these days. Light, doesnt slow down if you disable webguard in premium version (not a problem in free version) and I've yet to see it interfere with anything else (except the webguard thing).

Very eager to see how well Panda Cloud performs.

Kaspersky does not really slow my machine sown that much. Products that do are AVG, Norton, Mcafee, avast ect. Kaspersky and Node 32 don't seem to at all. Plus with a combo of Kaspersky internet security and Spywareblaster you would really have to try hard to get infected. I think RAM usage is a good indicator as the more RAM a product is using the less RAM left over for other things to use. If two computers both have 512 RAM and one has Norton on it using 200mb and the other has Kaspersky using less than 30 the kaspersky machine will be faster all else being equal.

Blues
05-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Im not sure how you concluded Kaspersky slows down systems becuase it doesn't I have tried it on all kinds of systems and none have slowed down. They might just a hair in terms of noticable slow down and just at boot but nothing that is even anywhere near annoying or a hassle. I do think RAM has a big impact on preformance but its not the only indicator look at how often the app spikes the CPU for the 2nd factor. I will say it is not out of the box 100% compatible with everything but it is simple enough to configure and I haven't had any call backs due to the software except maybe when it comes time for renewal.

Vetal
05-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Kaspersky is my weapon of choice,

then maybe Avira or Bitdefender

although I'm not using an antivirus right now)))

M0rph3u5
05-14-2009, 11:04 PM
for me the best is nod32 :) it has detected viruses that the past mentioned av in this thread :) nod32 have save me alot

MM PC Solutions
05-15-2009, 07:01 AM
I use Avira Antivir Premium.

ASDCR
05-16-2009, 06:07 PM
first thing i do, if they're calling me out because of a virus..

i yank off whatever a/v *is* there - and then run MBAM

MBAM *usually* does the trick

and i show them - right there - norton or mcafee or whatever WAS there, with ALL THOSE VIRUSES, and wasn't able to do anything about it - therefore, FIRE THEM!!

i tell them the MBAM i'm using is the free "one shot" version - but i recommend the "pay version" so its running all the time

plus, its only $25 so its cheaper than the main-line a/v out there

and they usually go for it too

(did i mention i'm an MBAM reseller!)
;)

if they don't like MBAM, i'll usually slap on antivir

i just like it - its easy to configure - update and scan automagically w/ little-or-no end-user involvement

so... my vote is for "other"

Daifne
05-20-2009, 02:15 PM
I trust on Norton Antivirus.

www softwareqatestings com

Good for you. I love Norton because of how much business it brings me. I wouldn't put it on any machine.

nj_computer_repair
05-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Trojan Magnums have kept me free of viruses. No but seriously, if it's free your looking for, AVG is the best. If you are looking to protect a network of computers, Trend Micro Client/Server/Messaging is what you want.

Norton is a piece of garbage!

MBF
05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm a fan of Avira.

5starpctech
05-22-2009, 01:17 PM
I also use the free version of Avira. I switched after AVG became bloated. The only thing I don't care about is the "nag screen" when it downloads updates. However, it is a nice little reminder that your AV is working.

Emockler
05-22-2009, 03:08 PM
This is a moving target.
AVG was great for so long, but is becoming more bloated with it's popularity. I ran the enterprise level product for years, though. I have read about an AVG removal tool existing. ANY av that needs a removal tool would not be recommended. Norton is harder to remove than the virus sometimes.

They are using TrendMicro at my current gig, which happened to be up for renewal when I got here. Have to admit it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Nod32 is the current choice for personal use. But you need to have a few of these in your arsenal for cleaning + MBAM.

I was recently called by the makers of a product used mostly in schools and other public sector pc's. It's Smart Shield from Centurion. At $100 per seat it's a little expensive, but it locks down system files requiring a password to install applications (or anything else). User data is saved however. The way it works is you can actually install whatever you want, but it only persists past a reboot if you unlock your pc first.

It can be controlled from a central server. I was thinking of this type of thing for those repeat offenders who insist on engaging in unsafe behavior, but can't be taught to use a VM for dangerous surfing.

I tested the trial on a VM, and a short search for windows media plugins had me infected with that nasty superduper antispymalware2009, which was gone after the reboot. so far so good....

I would like to test it some more before I recommend it, but it may be worth checking out. my trial is unfortunately over.

GeeksInKhakis
06-10-2009, 09:44 PM
We go one of 2 ways...

1. We resell AVG (because it's best, IMO). I've scanned drives with Norton, McAfee, Avast and then still had issues so scanned it remotely with AVG and found (and removed) more viruses and was able to boot. The AVG reseller program is good and their licensing is good. You can get 'sales' licenses that aren't tied to a single customer till you install it and get paid. Handy for tech's out in the field to carry a few licenses with them. You can also print off a full graphic 'certificate', which makes the download more legit without having a CD.

2. McAfee, if the customer is a Comcast user. It's a free download from Comcast and that makes the customer feel good. It's usually installed as part of our Virus/Spyware Removal package, which includes a virus tool assessment. And if it's free, then it will keep updating. A fully updated McAfee is better than an expired AVG/Norton/etc.

I never recommend Norton, but I often make money having to remove it after part of it breaks. Norton is too bloated and anything that so many removal tools / articles on fixing itself is bound to break. Then, you get blamed, since you 'recommended it'.

Same kind of flakiness with Trend Micro, I've had it block it's own update program and also block the entire Windows operating system shell from being able to run ANY program. On one machine, could not ran anything, all .exe's would give an error when running. Removed Trend Micro and everything went back to normal.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth!

- Rob

GeeksInKhakis
06-10-2009, 09:46 PM
We go one of 2 ways...

oops... we also use MBAM, not as the only defense, but as an added helper in addition to a full antivirus program.

joe25
06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I find that for customers, many let their AV subscriptions expire, so AVG being free addresses that issue. I am also checking out now avast.

0gr3
06-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I have used both AVG free and Avast Pro. I found AVG quite nice I don't remeber if it had an exchange/email client scanner but for my wife the website scanner was good. Avast was nice program a bit resource intensive but nice non the less. Had the exchange scanner that I liked and worked nicely with Outlook. I am now taking a look see at Avira, I had a client come in and I ran AVG and Avast and after those two Avira still found more viruses so as of now I am rather impressed.

usacvlr
06-11-2009, 06:15 PM
avira consistently rates highest in terms of detection followed by bitdefender. Avira has low resource usage. Bitdefender has very very little as it's not really meant as an active guard. Avg is a bloated hog.

ProTech Support
06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
avira consistently rates highest in terms of detection followed by bitdefender. Avira has low resource usage. Bitdefender has very very little as it's not really meant as an active guard. Avg is a bloated hog.

I recently made the switch from AVG to Avira and I am pretty satisfied. Really I am disappointed in the direction that AVG has gone, but that is another story.

seedubya
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I've now gone back to NOD32. The margin is crap but at least I don't have ANY technical doubts about it.

joejoe
06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Eset NOD32 is the product I have on all the computers at work. easy to setup and quiet.

I personally am using norton internet security at home and have no issues. Norton 360 is on my wives and mother-in-laws computers. They dont notice the slowdown because facebook and outlook express arent too processor intensive in todays systems. It also does the backup for me and that means I dont have to:)

I have put Avast on a few systems that needed something free and got frustrated with the HOURS required to complete a scan.

Overall if you have Any antivirus and practice responsible computing you will be fine. If you do stupid stuff you will be infected even with the best protection money can buy

ProTech Support
06-11-2009, 11:14 PM
If you do stupid stuff you will be infected even with the best protection money can buy

I wish some people would understand that, I have had a couple turn around after I sold them anti-virus not wanting to pay for virus removal because I sold them "faulty" software :rolleyes:

krutoi
06-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Over the years i have used/installed quite a few - my current favorite is Avast

Usually will do avast/zone alarm/spybot for clients as well unless they are really married to some other product

BerthaControl
06-21-2009, 05:48 PM
i went to www.freedownloads.com and searched up NOD32 and to download it i have to pay where can i get it for free?

someone probably already answered this for you, but you can go to their website and download a free trial. Also, their one-year (one-computer) licenses are good on multiple computers. I highly recommend Nod32

pusz4frog
07-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I had problems with AVG so I switched to CYberdefender. FIrst I got the free download version. It scanns for spywares, malwares and trojans. When it found a virus on my comptuer, I boght the upgrade to clean my systems and it has been worth it. It runs quicker than other antivirus softwares, and it takes up less space. It's great!

MrUnknown
07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Cyberdefender sucks.

<insert rant about it>
No, I don't feel like backing up my answer.

thebeardedone
07-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Avast for free and NOD32 for paid.

Bryce W
07-10-2009, 03:52 AM
Avast for Free and Kaspersky for paid.

By the way, this thread just wont die. It was started on the 21st of Feb, 2006 which is pretty much Technibbles birth.

Blues
07-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Avast for Free and Kaspersky for paid.

By the way, this thread just wont die. It was started on the 21st of Feb, 2006 which is pretty much Technibbles birth.

I didn't even realize how old this place was wow

cfultz
07-11-2009, 06:25 AM
AVG Free. I mean, come on, it's free and it works really really well!

iisjman07
07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
You'll never get a right answer, because choice of antivirus is merely a matter of preference. Right now I'm using avast! home, and I like it. The best protection is to use some kind of HIPS application, like SandBoxie or DefenseWall. These block 99.9% of threats automatically, and don't require updates. Amazing...

NickCat11
07-18-2009, 04:07 AM
NOD32 gets my vote.

TazUk
07-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Avast!, because it can run a scan before Windows is fully loaded so before a virus can become memory resident :)

Larry Sabo
07-18-2009, 01:19 PM
This poll is pointless, as it doesn't provide an objective basis for selecting an A-V. It's a popularity contest, which proves little, IMHO. Better to look at AV-comparatives.org test results over a number of years. They user rigorous procedures which they explain, and provide a basis for an objective comparision. Go to...

---> xxx.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

(replace xxx with www) and click on the "On-demand comparative" link for latest results. For a multi-year comparison of the main A-V players, go to...

---> xxx.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests/summary-reports

and click on the latest summary report, which provides an aggregated comparison and a nomination of the best for each year.

They are now penalizing products that have a high false-positive rate, so AntiVir is rated lower than it used to be. I still find it the best value of those that are top-tier products. As they say, an A-V program could have a 100% detection rate by saying everything is a virus. NOD32, Kaspersky and Symantec are also superior.

With their 2009 products, Symantec has fixed their resource-hogging ways and their products are now supper fast, yet also have among the highest detection rates and lowest false-positive rates. They are still too expensive, IMHO, but are great at transparency and effectiveness -- customers can install them and forget them, and still be well protected. Honestly, it's a toss-up between NOD32, Kaspersky and Symantec for "paid-for" A-V programs, in my view. For freeware (non-commercial-use) versions, AntiVir, Avast! and AVG would be my choices, in that order.

Cheers.

gunslinger
07-18-2009, 02:30 PM
I heard all the good things about the "new" Norton 2009 both on here and on a few podcasts that I listen to. I figured I'd give it a fair shot.
To make a long story short, it is faster and much less a resource hog than it used to be. Its also ugly and still deletes things without me telling it to.
I would say you can still do about as good with a few free AV programs and if you just have to pay for it you can do a hell of a lot better. I'll be sticking with Kaspersky.

K007
07-23-2009, 12:43 AM

Last time I checked, AVG FREE was FREE for non comercial purposes.
If you use it on your business computers you are in breach of EULA.