PDA

View Full Version : A very sad day for me. (closing down)

Nach0
12-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Hi guys,
I have come here now and then asking for help and have tried to give where possible, i have really enjoyed the site and all the people here.

But due to a family issue, i have to close my little computer shop that i have been running for 5 years and move.

I wont have the capital to start another shop, so ill just go work for someone else.

I am/was an Apple service agent, not something easily come by and worked my ass off to maintain Apples high standards.

Im very proud of my achievements but sadly its all ending, in a little over a week (next friday) I will shut my doors for the last time.

Thank you to everyone for your help and support

ill try to frequent the boards here, but it just depends whatever job i get if it allows me time :/

Take care everyone

Nach0-

Richard

Tony_Scarpelli
12-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Sorry Richard.

Good Luck. Best wishes to the family.

MikeLierman
12-07-2011, 07:06 AM
You have the experience, the equipment, the website, and everything else right? Why not just move your location to where ever you're going... unless your family issues involve financial aspects. Makes more sense to me. Just rebrand to what you are going to be. That's what I'd do, but that's just me.

Rob
12-07-2011, 07:39 AM
You have my sympathies Richard, it's certainly not easy times atm and I know a lot of us are walking a knife edge. I've come close to pulling the plug recently, but made the decision to push through the dip.
Are you trying to sell your business, or are you closing it down? Please excuse me if this is insensitive, I'd just like to know if there is much of a market in computer businesses in Aus.
Good luck.

wimwauters
12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I hop you can work as an Apple Tech from where-ever you are. Pay should be better then general PC/Wintel tech?

codegreen
12-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Don't let it get you down, Richard. I hope everything works out well for you.

bertie40
12-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Best wishes.

But you never know, circumstances can always change. Apple bods are few and far between. Good luck.

anonymous Mac Tech
12-07-2011, 06:39 PM
If its not Apple shutting you down, just keep in mind Apple isn't even accepting applicants for AASPs anymore (if that's what you mean by being an Apple service agent?). So, in other words, there is no turning back or second chances in regards to being an AASP.

Rosco
12-07-2011, 06:46 PM
man that stinks sorry to hear that. hope it works out.... maybe be a mobile tech out of your new house?

rsarceno
12-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Have you consider mobile support instead of store front?

This is my second company. First was a store front in mid's 90s with a partner. Then I work for a consulting firm, followed by a Government job. Now back to my own company but only mobile support with minimum hardware sale. It was about 10 - 12 years between my first and second but I wish I keep it.

Good Luck

ArtemusComputerTechnology
12-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I always live by "Things happen for a reason" and i know for sure that things will work out for the best. My prayers are with you and your family.

callthatgirl
12-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Good luck! I hope you land a sweet job! With Mac skills, you will be fine.

:)

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Sorry Richard.

Good Luck. Best wishes to the family.
thank you very much!

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:44 PM
You have the experience, the equipment, the website, and everything else right? Why not just move your location to where ever you're going... unless your family issues involve financial aspects. Makes more sense to me. Just rebrand to what you are going to be. That's what I'd do, but that's just me.
Its the family issues thats making me leave too much time working at my shop has cause me and the wife to split, the only way to be near my kids is to move to the city, i no longer have the strength to start again, working for someone else will be a smoother path :/

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:47 PM
You have my sympathies Richard, it's certainly not easy times atm and I know a lot of us are walking a knife edge. I've come close to pulling the plug recently, but made the decision to push through the dip.
Are you trying to sell your business, or are you closing it down? Please excuse me if this is insensitive, I'd just like to know if there is much of a market in computer businesses in Aus.
Good luck.
the decision to move was family, but i was planning on restructuring anyway and work from home doing callouts only, i had the client base but the costs of owning a shop are astronomical and this is a small town but has like 12 computer shops in it, very tough.

i was hoping that being an Apple repair agent would give me some selling potential, but the contract between myself and Apple terminates if there are any changes (new owners etc) and the new owners would have to re-apply on their own merit, and there is no guarantee that Apple would accept them.

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I hop you can work as an Apple Tech from where-ever you are. Pay should be better then general PC/Wintel tech?

It depends, a windows server qualified admin can earn big $$, I'm hoping to work directly with Apple, see how we go :)

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Don't let it get you down, Richard. I hope everything works out well for you.

thank you very much!
its been very stressful as mentioned above, its cost me my family, so I'm moving to be closer to them and working for someone else just means less stress (hopefully)

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Best wishes.

But you never know, circumstances can always change. Apple bods are few and far between. Good luck.

thank you very much!
yeah, we aren't spread out everywhere like PC guys ;)
at least i have the proven qualifications behind me for both PC and Apple

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Have you consider mobile support instead of store front?

This is my second company. First was a store front in mid's 90s with a partner. Then I work for a consulting firm, followed by a Government job. Now back to my own company but only mobile support with minimum hardware sale. It was about 10 - 12 years between my first and second but I wish I keep it.

Good Luck

I was actually planning to do what when the shop leas ran out (in about 3 months time) wanted to let another reseller the next town over be the Apple repair agent and i could just do the mac repairs for him as a contractor and id run my own business from home.
sounded perfect for me, but the strain on my marriage was already too much.

sucks..
thanks for the kind words :)

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:54 PM
man that stinks sorry to hear that. hope it works out.... maybe be a mobile tech out of your new house?

thank you, i don't have the energy to start again, I'm moving from a small town to a large city, there are already thousands of mobile techs, i just don't have the capitol to start again, working for someone else will be my goal now.

i tried and i failed..

but i tried.

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:57 PM
If its not Apple shutting you down, just keep in mind Apple isn't even accepting applicants for AASPs anymore (if that's what you mean by being an Apple service agent?). So, in other words, there is no turning back or second chances in regards to being an AASP.

Apple is not shutting me down, but to reopen as an AASP (which i was) i have to get a new shop, setup everything to their now EXTREMELY touch standards.
i just don't have the funds.
this business has basically set me back 40k and my marriage, I'm done with it :(
i mean i have great customers and at some points made decent money, but now the small town has too many other shops and mobile guys, and apparently the highest unemployment in the state.
over it, want out :)

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:58 PM
I always live by "Things happen for a reason" and i know for sure that things will work out for the best. My prayers are with you and your family.

Thank you very much, I'm hoping there is a light after all this :)

Nach0
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Good luck! I hope you land a sweet job! With Mac skills, you will be fine.

:)

thank you, I'm actually hoping to work with Apple, already applied and god called in for an interview but i said i haven't made the move yet.
the guy from Apple gave me email address and said when you do, email me :)

so I'm hoping!

Mr.Mike
12-08-2011, 11:03 PM
As a divorced survivor who had a steady government job and was "let go", I share your feelings and concerns. The previous post has it right. "One door closes, another one opens" sounds trite but it works. Give it some time and you'll see, you will be happier soon. Cheers m8.

Nach0
12-08-2011, 11:14 PM
As a divorced survivor who had a steady government job and was "let go", I share your feelings and concerns. The previous post has it right. "One door closes, another one opens" sounds trite but it works. Give it some time and you'll see, you will be happier soon. Cheers m8.

Thank you, its really nice to know that you can have support from people you don't even know :)

the plus side to this is that ill be moving in with one of my best friends, so some late night zombie killing will be mandatory :)

cmonova
12-08-2011, 11:30 PM
This pretty much sums it up "but the strain on my marriage was already too much"...There are more important things in life than running a business.

As far as "I tired and failed"...No reason to think of it that way. Things happen, events change and we change with them.

I have no doubt the things you learned from your business will carry over and you will be successful in your new endeavor.

Nach0
12-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I have no doubt the things you learned from your business will carry over and you will be successful in your new endeavor.

Thank you very much!

I have gone from sad and depressed about it to excitement!

Bring on 2012!!

ell
12-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi guys,
I have come here now and then asking for help and have tried to give where possible, i have really enjoyed the site and all the people here.

But due to a family issue, i have to close my little computer shop that i have been running for 5 years and move.

I wont have the capital to start another shop, so ill just go work for someone else.

I am/was an Apple service agent, not something easily come by and worked my ass off to maintain Apples high standards.

Im very proud of my achievements but sadly its all ending, in a little over a week (next friday) I will shut my doors for the last time.

ill try to frequent the boards here, but it just depends whatever job i get if it allows me time :/

Take care everyone

Nach0-

Richard

ah, thats sad, til you land something else, is there any way to work out of your home? I've been doing it for years, no over-head, all my advertising is word of mouth and all the free search engines, especially google places. Do alot of remote stuff too. Don't give up doing what you love.

128 Computers
12-16-2011, 02:26 AM
Nach0,

I know its hard to keep positive at a time like this, but good things can come from this its up to you to make it happen.

Good luck.

myPCTechs
12-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad news. I wish you all of the best in whatever new adventure you find!

Lefty
12-18-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm sorry you had to move on. I wish you the best of luck...

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

Nach0
12-18-2011, 05:33 AM
I was originally planning to work from home when the lease ran out in my current shop, but with the family split and the wife taking the kids to the city, 3.5 hour drive away, i have no choice but to move too.
where i will be staying will not have the space for at home repair work.
maybe if i get a place of my own one day i may start back up.
see how life goes!

Nach0
12-18-2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks Kevin, I'm certainly trying :)

ell
12-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Try remote support, I know its not the same, but its easy, just put a pay pal button on your website, I'm doing more and more of it. I think Lisa (Call that Girl) has the majority of her work from it.

parker.casey
12-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Hi guys,

Take care everyone

Nach0-

Richard

I think you'll find yourself to be a useful value to any IT outfit ... goodluck, friend.