PDA

View Full Version : Stress test on a mac

4ycr
12-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I have a mac to replace a hard drive but their original hard drive failed after being on for 2 /3 days so I would like to try and speed it up.

I am new to macs and my customer does know this so any help would be good.

Cornerstone Technologies
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
The hard drive failed. Why would you want to stress the other components? It seems unneeded. If you were to stress test a hard drive by constantly reading and writing from it, basically making it spin without a break, Im sure it would be a matter of time before you would burn the drive up. And by stressing a new drive, I imagine that you would shorten its life needlessly. The computer being on for days and the hard drive failing are coincidental.

4ycr
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I am not convinced it is the hard drive. And for it to fail after being powered on for 2 days and then all smart status checks out fine.

While I don't rely on the smart status I would like to make the drive work while it is powered on to try and get it to fail. So when I put a replacement drive in I can verify that I have fixed it. I also don't want to just leave it idle encase it needs some stress from normal use but I don't want to keep on using it while I could be working on something else.

Keegan
12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
if you have the recovery media, you can use the applications dvd for testing.
Boot from it while holding down button d.
then you can do basic testing of the hardware.
Not a stress test tool though

4ycr
12-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I only have the install cd, thanks for the reply

wimwauters
12-06-2011, 08:01 PM
if you have the recovery media, you can use the applications dvd for testing.
Boot from it while holding down button d.
then you can do basic testing of the hardware.
Not a stress test tool though

Agreed, use the Apple hardware test. for older Macs, there's separate cdroms/DVDs for this.