PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys stick on computers?

Dameize
12-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Hello everyone,
Ill be starting my pc repair business in the coming weeks so at the minute im developing my business plan and gathering the things I will need a bit at a time.

Anyway, I remember at my old job my boss would put small stickers on a pc that was serviced probably those little return address sized ones with just the logo and serviced by xyz if you get my drift.

What do you guys use for this? just print your own? ive been scouting ebay found these but the one shown looks pretty crappy to be honest although they apparently make custom ones. I know like 3gbp isnt a lot but how much would it cost to print that many of your own? I cant see it being far off..

Heres the link to it tell me what you think. If thats now allowed can the mod just post the item number or something as im looking for feedback as im considering trying it out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350507243382&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Cheers.

nesrinamb
12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
I never done that but what i do place is a anti-tampering sticker since I provide a 30 day warranty for hardware repairs (software isn't covered under any warranty).

Dameize
12-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I looked at those, and will probably get some for if i get that kind of business.

I do think though that having a sticker on the pc would work as most people wont be bothered to move it and next time they have an issue they will have your name in mind from seing it all the time :)

Cadishead Computers
12-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I use return address labels. They have space for my work order #.

Name, Address, tel no's.

You can get them from almost anywhere. Vistaprint are good for these. Although I wouldnt recommend vistaprint for your business cards.

Dameize
12-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I got some business cards a while back for my website stuff, they were alright but definitely not as good as some others ive seen. Ive priced some up on ebay from vendors there and you can get 5k 350gsm ones for like 50gbp so ive asked for some samples and if they're good ill just get them there.

Martyn
12-04-2011, 08:54 PM
I use PCRT for my main job logging etc and part of that system is an asset label printing feature that I use to print from my Dymo Labelwriter printer. On that label is my company name, phone number, job bar code and ID. All computer and assets get a label stuck to them so I keep track what belongs to what. I leave them on and it's up to the client to remove them if they want(easily removed).

FoolishTech
12-04-2011, 09:26 PM
All I put on them is the product key sticker...

Now I've been meaning to change that and just haven't researched a good place to buy some nice ... not quite stickers, but not quite case badges, (been a long weekend, whadda ya call em?)

I worked for a company once that only serviced business clients, and would put a bar code (with numbers) thing like I described above, a really stiff sticky badge, on each workstation we serviced.

Along with that, all software, hard copy of licenses, and other items belonging to that particular workstation were placed in a nice plastic folder with the same bar code / numbers on it.

This was so when the customer piled all of their misc junk in a closet, we could easily determine which workstation the package of stuff belonged to - things never got confused that way.

Naturally they also did some inventory/tracking of the workstations through these numbers as well. We typically included the numbers in the COMPUTER NAME when setting up the workstation, so we could track the who/what easily with our remote monitoring software.

The sticker things were small and discrete enough that I wouldn't have any objection to placing them on home users systems either. Normally I'm against that sort of thing... putting stuff on home PCs, like those stickers that are extremely cheap, tacky, LARGE, and impossible to peel off without a heat gun and patience that Best Buy / Geek Squad put on people's PCs. That's just offensive to me.

rsarceno
12-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm not against anti-tampering sticker, but I felt in doing so force the customer to limit on who can service the computer. If we are going to push this mentality, then most of our clients will go to Best buys, Frys electronic and so on because that's where they bought it.

There are so many products that are now DIY. If you have a sticker, then you have to emphasize no DIY like a memory upgrade. Just imagine what a Geek Squad technician would say, "I cannot service your computer because it will void the warranty." Then they might say big companies like Dell, HP etc doesn't work like this anymore I don't understand.. just bad rep...

I understand the importance of, the sticker because I use to do it 20 years ago when building clone machine, but I am not sure if it's a good idea to stay competitive.

FoolishTech
12-04-2011, 10:32 PM
I understand the importance of, the sticker because I use to do it 20 years ago when building clone machine, but I am not sure if it's a good idea to stay competitive.

Oh yes, anti-tampering / void warranty sticker. I don't believe in that myself...

However on the anti-tampering subject... not sure if it's urban legend or not, but a fellow tech once told me he knew/worked for/(or something) a tech shop that taped a cheap rubber chicken on the inside/bottom of the computer case with their custom builds.

If a client ever called up and asked why there was a rubber chicken in the computer, they then knew that customer just voided their warranty. More precise than looking for a sticker that has been peeled back. *shrug*

Maybe that was urban legend... but the guy was a little whacky... anyone ever heard of that?

Dameize
12-04-2011, 11:21 PM
I understand completely but what about in the upgrade prospective.

If it was me and I was offering a 30day warranty I would probably want to put a warranty sticker on it but I would date it. Say I serviced it on the 1st of may I would put a sticker on saying 'Warranty void if removed before May 31' that way they can remove it after the 30 days and it doesnt matter.

NETWizz
12-05-2011, 01:59 AM
I understand completely but what about in the upgrade prospective.

If it was me and I was offering a 30day warranty I would probably want to put a warranty sticker on it but I would date it. Say I serviced it on the 1st of may I would put a sticker on saying 'Warranty void if removed before May 31' that way they can remove it after the 30 days and it doesnt matter.

I could always tell I was the last person who worked on a computer and how much warranty is left... if the bottle isn't emtpy, the warranty is just fine.:D

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff367/jbirkhofer/100_1695.jpg

phaZed
12-05-2011, 02:09 AM
I use PCRT for my main job logging etc and part of that system is an asset label printing feature that I use to print from my Dymo Labelwriter printer. On that label is my company name, phone number, job bar code and ID. All computer and assets get a label stuck to them so I keep track what belongs to what. I leave them on and it's up to the client to remove them if they want(easily removed).

+1
I have even customized my label with my logo, phone, etc. The labels are clear, fast, and stick very well. I like them because they are also easy to remove without ripping or residue. The only problem I have found is that you should try to keep the stickers away from heat-sinks and fans on laptops. Anywhere very hot and the sticker gets darker and washed out (The labels are thermal). PCRT has been a great experience and continues to develop at a rapid pace (in the right direction as well).

I also don't believe in the warranty stickers. I feel it is not correct to "lock" someone out of their own equipment. It IS user-serviceable. If and when a problem arises that an end-user broke something, then we as techs should be able to point to the problem and determine the hows and whys.

BryanLee
12-05-2011, 03:39 AM
I leave behind my LogMeIn Rescue Calling Card. It is just an icon that sits on their desktop. I tell them it's there in case they have any problems. They can click on it and connect to me remotely in less than a minute. If I am unable to connect to them, the calling card also has my email and phone number on it.

Works like a charm.

Dameize
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Like I said though, if you specified on the warranty sticker its void if removed BEFORE a 30 day period (specify date) then its void then do you all think thats appropriate?

Although Im also against not locking the customer out of their own pc, why would they need to go into it in a 30day period if its covered anyway?.

Cheers.

red12049
12-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Like I said though, if you specified on the warranty sticker its void if removed BEFORE a 30 day period (specify date) then its void then do you all think thats appropriate?

Although Im also against not locking the customer out of their own pc, why would they need to go into it in a 30day period if its covered anyway?.

Cheers.

Why get so bogged down in minutiae? Truth is, if it's a good customer you'll warranty the system even if you can't point to a specific cause, and if it's a not so good customer your warranty process may be a bit different. Sticker really isn't going to make much difference.

Rick

dgast
12-05-2011, 01:24 PM
I do habitually put a sticker on the machine that has the business name and phone number usually next to the sticker that the product code and serial number is on, I figure if they look that far they probably need to call me anyway. I also ask permission to place a desktop shortcut for my "branded" remote service on their machines and usually get permission to do so. It's all personal preference.

Dameize
12-05-2011, 03:31 PM
I actually remember being about 10 and my parents using Jims Computers in Australia. Looking back now I just laugh, I remember him spending like 3 hrs telling them about how already installed games when we got the computer were viruses etc and could damage it he spent a few hours removing all the bloatware and then installed his service where you could SMS his mobile via your pc. I think he charged like $280 or something.

BryanLee
12-05-2011, 05:40 PM
I actually remember being about 10 and my parents using Jims Computers in Australia. Looking back now I just laugh, I remember him spending like 3 hrs telling them about how already installed games when we got the computer were viruses etc and could damage it he spent a few hours removing all the bloatware and then installed his service where you could SMS his mobile via your pc. I think he charged like $280 or something.

How old are you now?

Dameize
12-05-2011, 08:08 PM
18 almost 19 that was a good while back.

nesrinamb
12-06-2011, 12:21 AM
I always tell my customers that the warranty is void if they remove the sticker before the thirty days but tell them that afterwards it doesn't matter.

I understand the point that many of you are saying about not putting the sticker, but the reason i place it is that when I got back computers back for thirty day warranties I would open the case and the RAM or something else was placed about only halfway in, the client decided that it must be a hardware problem so they tried to fix it. But each and every time it was brought in it was them trying to add a new program or attempting an update and not installing it correctly.

I know this because every time the computer levees me I sit with them and make sure everything is to their liking. Even though they had a 30 warranty they still sometimes try to do a repair themselves. Of course I would ask if they opened the computer and they would say no but again the RAM or something would be unplugged. The main reason for the sticker as that if i am covering them with a warranty for 30 days then just bring in the computer and i will fix it for free but don't try to fix it yourself because I makes it worse for me.

Anyways. I also have been thinking about placing stickers with name and phone number and would likely go for just putting a return address label.

Dameize
12-06-2011, 12:26 AM
I was just looking at those return address labels but with custom logo and info etc.

1aComputerServices
12-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I could always tell I was the last person who worked on a computer and how much warranty is left... if the bottle isn't emtpy, the warranty is just fine.:D

Haha that is awesome. :D:D:D:D:D

Dameize
12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
The awkward moment when its diagnosed the house was burnt down due to a computer fire as alcohol inside of it ignited.

peachypc
03-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Well, personally I think all the badge stuff is pretty tacky, and tamper proof seals just make me wonder what they are trying to hide.
In 22 years I have never really had any problems with someone swapping out good parts for bad etc. ( Now, my parts do have small coded labels on them indicating where and when I bought them for warranty replacement should it be necessary.)

What I have done all these years however is use magnets to hold my invoice to the computer case. These magnets are my business cards in magnet form. Customer can put them on the fridge, leave them on the case or hand them out to a friend. This has always worked well for me, In fact they usually ask if they can have another one or two.
:)

HawkinsPC
03-24-2014, 01:44 PM
I use them for more asset tracking than anything else. I put the MHelpDesk ticket number on them barcoded along with my logo. I don't remember customers very well, but I can quickly key or scan in the number.

I bought clear address labels and printed them myself. It worked well on desktops, but they wear off on the underside of laptops. I haven't done any lately because I'm lazy.

GCS
03-31-2014, 03:39 AM
Name/Number/Serial Number of the item (if it has one).

I did get the vistaprint cards, though now that you think of it... Anyone who's ever been to vistaprint would know where you got them.

If you use vistaprint (they are a good company) just DON'T get the free ones.
DONT

pceinc
03-31-2014, 01:24 PM
We use a Dymo label printer with a small 1"x2" asset tag. Has our contact info, serial number, customer name and number. We use the same for our new builds and add the build date and warranty info.

deachus
03-31-2014, 02:46 PM
We use a Dymo label printer with a small 1"x2" asset tag. Has our contact info, serial number, customer name and number. We use the same for our new builds and add the build date and warranty info.

I have the Dymo Industrial RhinoPro 3000 that I use for label Servers, Towers, network hardware, cables, etc. I've never used it for label new workstations and have currently been looking for a solution to asset tag.

What Dymo do you use to make the 1"x2" asset tag and can you provide me with the exact label cartridge you are using? Do you have any issues with the label coming off over time?

Thanks for your help. I may have just found my asset tag solution.

3ft
03-31-2014, 10:50 PM
I've used the PCRT asset tag feature with a Dymo label printer for several years now with good success. I don't think anyone's torn off a label yet.

pceinc
03-31-2014, 11:05 PM
I have the Dymo Industrial RhinoPro 3000 that I use for label Servers, Towers, network hardware, cables, etc. I've never used it for label new workstations and have currently been looking for a solution to asset tag.

What Dymo do you use to make the 1"x2" asset tag and can you provide me with the exact label cartridge you are using? Do you have any issues with the label coming off over time?

Thanks for your help. I may have just found my asset tag solution.

The labels are printed from our work order tracking software called NewWayService. We created the label using NWS report designer. When we checking a new piece of equipment we can print the label or we can reprint if we need to replace a worn label. The labels do turn and fade over time but we have been more than happy with the solution for about 8 years now.

I just ordered more labels but I can't remember the number. I'll check when I go in tomorrow. I ordered from Amazon since they are cheaper.

Found it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=HRCDYBQBSVRF&C=3T5MUR8F9569O&H=EOFZCEVVYBWSG204V1E48PKF7OUA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB00919Q5VE%2F ref%3Dpe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

mikeroq
04-01-2014, 01:14 AM

I think I worked on one of your computers, I think I used up about a week of warranty.