PDA

View Full Version : Free Software - FOR CORPORATE USE

geekhelp4u
09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
I love SuperAntiSpyware, but it is not free for use in a corporate environment.

Of all your portable aps... especially for spyware... what can you recommend I use in a corporate environment. I know all the good ones, and have them all, but I want to know what i can legally use on a company machine.

In other words... if I used the computer repair utility kit, what is legal to use in the corporate world... what do i need to remove, and what can I add (even if it is worse than the home use version, so long as it does something) to help me out?

Thanks all!

seedubya
09-10-2008, 03:15 PM
A general rule of thumb will be that anything with an open source license can be used anywhere e.g. ClamAV

IME, almost all "freeware" are definitely not free for business use.

In point of fact, any tech using most of the freeware apps in the course of their business, even to clean a domestic system, is breaching licence conditions.

geekhelp4u
09-10-2008, 03:36 PM
A general rule of thumb will be that anything with an open source license can be used anywhere e.g. ClamAV

IME, almost all "freeware" are definitely not free for business use.

In point of fact, any tech using most of the freeware apps in the course of their business, even to clean a domestic system, is breaching licence conditions.

That is exactly what I figured... that is why I am asking for a list of stuff that can be used! If anyone out there knows of anything that is good, let me know!

seedubya
09-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Autoruns, Process Explorer and anything else by (formerly) Sysinternals. JK Defrag and GUI, HiJackThis can't think of anything else.

geekhelp4u
09-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks, looks like your the only commenter on this thread. Trying to get something i can use at work together on the portable platform. Here is what I have configure so far... let me know if you see anything that be be a legal issue on my list:

HiJackThis
ClamWin
Rootkit Detector
Spybot S&D
CWShreeder
CCleaner
ATF Cleaner
Dial-a-Fox
LSPFix
Undelete Plus
Restoration Trash
Process Explorer
System Information
Revo Uninstaller
Symantec Removal

Or if you see anything that you would suggest I add!

Thanks in advance
Chris

Blues
09-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Well I just noticed this and most the tools have it stated on thier site by advertising a "professional" version or mention on the download page something along the lines of not for business use. I figure though if the tool is truely a good tool and frequently used then yes I will buy it. I will use the non-business versions as trials though I do not know the legality there my guess would be it is illegal.

seedubya
09-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Dial-a-Fox

So what business is it you're in again?:D

seedubya
09-10-2008, 09:33 PM
HiJackThis OK
ClamWin OK
Rootkit Detector OK if you mean Rootkit Revealer (Sysinternals)
Spybot S&D NOT OK (commercial version)
CWShreeder OK (I think)
CCleaner OK
ATF Cleaner NOT OK (must contact author, no specific licence)
Dial-a-Fox OK
LSPFix OK (GPL)
Undelete Plus NOT OK (non-commercial use only)
Restoration Trash OK (if you mean Restoration 2.5.14)
Process Explorer OK (Sysinternals)
System Information NOT OK (Tech. licence available)
Revo Uninstaller OK
Symantec Removal OK

HTH