PDA

View Full Version : Water damaged MacBook Pro

quinnlaup
11-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Hey folks

I just got a MacBook Pro in which was water damaged and no longer powers on. I am not sure exactly which model it is as the model number has worn off the base. What i can tell you is that it is one of the newer uni body types the spec is 2.26 Ghz Core2Duo cpu with 2GB DDR3 PC8500 mhz RAM and a 160GB HDD. The laptop charges normally but will not power on i believe that the power button on this model is connected to the keyboard and because the water was splilt over the keyboard that this is the reason why it wont power on. I realise this is "guess work" but i have removed the logic board and there are absolutely no signs of water damage the board is still quite dusty. I would love to get a second opinion on this job thanks for taking the time to read this post.

kind regards

quinnlaup

Encrypted Existence
11-25-2011, 09:23 PM
If possible try shorting out the pins (I have no idea which ones but they could be labeled on the mobo) that connect the keyboard (power button) to the mobo and turning the machine on that way.

quinnlaup
11-25-2011, 11:08 PM
If possible try shorting out the pins (I have no idea which ones but they could be labeled on the mobo) that connect the keyboard (power button) to the mobo and turning the machine on that way.

That sounds like a good plan i will take a look on monday when i get back into the shop.

kind regards

quinnlaup

dgast
11-26-2011, 02:15 PM
First and foremost "Make sure it's dried out" we do a lot of this in the depot I have been working at, we generally take them and set them aside for a week to dry out. When we are sure they are dried out we plug them in and let it charge for 2 days before even trying to turn it on, getting a little heat from the charging circuit into the case. After that most of them power up fine.

With the Mac cases being so tight I would look at opening it up especially if you are going to anyway to check that switch.

Good Luck with it!

quinnlaup
11-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Hey folks

Just wanted to update this thread by saying that i decided to go ahead and order up a replacement keyboard. I fitted it today and luckily enough the MacBook fired up left it running over night so hopefully we will get a good result on this one.

kind regards

quinnlaup

pcrepairtech
12-11-2011, 03:17 PM
take out the mobo and clean it with alcahol gel then wipe it and stick it in the oven on about 180 for 10 mins that should do the trick :)

PC Guide (http://www.pcrepairtech.tk/blog)

Cornerstone Technologies
12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
take out the mobo and clean it with alcahol gel then wipe it and stick it in the oven on about 180 for 10 mins that should do the trick :)

PC Guide (http://www.pcrepairtech.tk/blog)

Don't dry it in the oven! Let it dry over a period of a few days after cleaning it.