PDA

View Full Version : remote control for games what client to use

Galdorf
11-17-2011, 02:16 PM
I have a few customers that want to remote control online games , i have tried all of remote software none can show decent framerates there must be something out there that can do this?.

Mushin
11-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I can think of no good solution for many reasons.
It is just not efficient to try to "remote" games due to the latency, banwidth, resolution, and so on.

Not even sure why someone would want to do this.

Now... if it were something like solitare or slots or poker... have at it any solution should work but not high res games.

jbartlett323
11-17-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.onlive.com/
only way...
Remote control software has to much latency. Also, bandwidth is a serious issue... if the host isn't running ~5MB upload (download dont matter in this instance) your gonna have a really crappy time because it cant uplaod as fast as your machine can draw it... Maybe it would work if you set resolution to 600x400 and all uber low settings in game, but i doubt it...

Mushin
11-17-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't think the onlive think is exactly like what was being asked but that is kind of neat. Essentially they stream the video to the device your are using and all you have to transmit is the control input. Still I wounder about lag of the video compared to user control input.

jbartlett323
11-17-2011, 05:49 PM
yeah its not exactly what OP wanted, but its the only thing close that i can think of... and yeah lag is still a big problem, according to reviews...

Galdorf
11-18-2011, 04:49 AM
I can't see why it could not be done realtime capture video at lower res stream it like video then overlay a control program over the video where you click on picture is where the mouse goes.

Mushin
11-18-2011, 11:37 PM
I can't see why it could not be done realtime capture video at lower res stream it like video then overlay a control program over the video where you click on picture is where the mouse goes.

Its called LAG and then there are also frame rates to consider.

For Frame Rates:
-------------------------
In the case of straming video the content is buffered thus you prime the pump with lets say 10 seconds of video so initially before the play back stats you wait a little bit to keep it simple we will say you wait 10 seconds.

Now... if the internet connection is able to keep up that buffer fills at the same rate or faster than the play back speed resulting in no interrruption. If the connection drops or play back occurs faster than the buffer can be filled eventually you will either drop frames to keep up or the playback will stall until the buffer is filled back up.

With video games you can't buffer the content because it can change in real time. In the case of a first person shooter even with low res you cant buffer the image. So if I am turning right we can think of each degree of movement from the mouse as a command to render and display the next frame. The computer then has to compute the image and send it.

This leads us to the topic of lag.
The time it takes to send a command (degree of mouse movement) to the computer through a network connection is x ms per command. In this case a command is probably a very small packet of information. When that is received, very large and numerous packets of video information have to be returned. This leads to a situation where you will most likely request infromation (video) faster than it can be created.

In traditional gaming on a computer all commands are sent though the system, processed and returned (I/O) very fast becasue all the recources are local but frames can still be dropped if your computer is not fast enough to process all the requests in a timely manner.

When you add online play to a first person shooter in traditional online play you ad the element of needing to communicate with a server that is taking in request from other computers as well as yours. It job is to return to your computer all the positions and actions of the other players in as close to real time as possible but no video is sent.... that is left to your computer to compute. Even though these packets of information are going to be smaller than video the time it takes to send and receive the constant flow of information causes your computer to run out of data needed to render the correct graphics for the scene. The end result is that your computer freezes or drops frames to keep in sync and keep up.