PDA

View Full Version : Raid controller help

numnutz
11-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has raid controller experience..I have a client with a pci scsi ultra 320 raid controller card connected to 2, maxtor atlas 15k 73GB hard drives raid 0 mirroring.

Controller started beeping yesterday. No error or warning messages when system boots up. Controller is detected, both drive detected...Nothing in even viewer. System seems to be running fine other than the controller one slow beep continually within about 1 or 2 minutes after you log into server.

could it just be beeping for no reason or is something else going on that I do not see? Any help would be aprieciated. also cant seem to find a decent replacement for the controller card its about 6 years old. Thanks

silvano
11-14-2011, 02:46 AM
could have a battery backup feature that is detecting either no battery or battery dying. Whats the make/model on the raid controller card?

MobileTechie
11-14-2011, 07:04 AM
It's not gonna be beeping for no reason. You need to get the make and model and look it up.

It's likely to be a warning of one of things it monitors: drive failing, array problem, temperature problem or something else.

numnutz
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
server is about 7 years old the info on the card says Lattice ISPLSI2064E, PBA99426-001A, IIRRZ1CHLS. Cant find much info about it online at all.

krtechsolutions
11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
i would go with battery on the card if failing

YeOldeStonecat
11-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Wonder what the outcome was? Warning beeps on a RAID 0 volume....no redundancy...a small failure would be catastrophic.

...maybe that's why we never saw an answer...he can't boot up anymore! :eek:

numnutz
12-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Wonder what the outcome was? Warning beeps on a RAID 0 volume....no redundancy...a small failure would be catastrophic.

...maybe that's why we never saw an answer...he can't boot up anymore! :eek:

actually have not done anything yet, plan on getting there this week though. its a small retail store and they bark at cost of everything. the raid is mirroring and they back up to an external drive every hour. not very worried about a catastrophy but it does need to be fixed asap

YeOldeStonecat
12-01-2011, 10:40 AM
the raid is mirroring p

That would be RAID 1.....mirroring is 1. Common for servers, where uptime is desired. 1 drive fails..the other maintains the work, redundancy is not there..it's now just like a regular computer...running on one drive. Replace failed drive, mirror rebuilds...redundancy has returned.

RAID 0 is striping. No redundancy. Half of your data on one drive, half on the other. If one drive fails....you're screwed! Done for performance gains because it's faster than single drive. Usually see on gaming computers. Bad idea for servers.

numnutz
12-01-2011, 11:46 AM
That would be RAID 1.....mirroring is 1. Common for servers, where uptime is desired. 1 drive fails..the other maintains the work, redundancy is not there..it's now just like a regular computer...running on one drive. Replace failed drive, mirror rebuilds...redundancy has returned.

RAID 0 is striping. No redundancy. Half of your data on one drive, half on the other. If one drive fails....you're screwed! Done for performance gains because it's faster than single drive. Usually see on gaming computers. Bad idea for servers.

you are correct sir, sorry for my typo the server is Raid 1, thanks

numnutz
12-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I am trying to get my clients server back up and running again and I am definitly out of my element and any help would be greatly aprieciated. As I said before I was not getting any errors when the system booted up but within a minute or so after you log in the system would beep continually.

I went into the intel stoage console by pressing ctrl G when booting up and I did see one message that one of the two drives was in fail state. I backed out of the console and it said are you sure you want to exit only one drive is configured or something I unfortunatly didnt pay attention. I said yes and now I am getting error messages when booting up and it forces me to hit Enter to continue. Interesting enough though the system boots up ok and it is no longer beeping at all. but there is obviously one or more issues and I would even be willing to pay someone off line for phone support if you really have solid experience. I do have an image of the system and other physical backup of the data but do not want to have to resort to that if at all possible.

the messages on boot are as follows.

BIOS at 0x000C8000-0x000CD1FF
1 Controller(s) found, Selftests OK, scanning SCSI Bus...
[PCI 3/1] DPMEM (B BBS) at 0xF47FC000-0xF47FFFFF, INT A = IRQ 11.
[PCI 3/1] SRCU42L - HWL0 - 64 MB SDRAM/ECC - 4096kB Flash-RAM
[PCI 3/1] SN 39C08609 - Firmware-FW-Version 2.34.05-R043 - Dec 9 2002
[PCI 3/1] ECC support enabled.
[PCI 3/1] SCSI-B ID:0 LUN:0 -- MAXTOR ATLAS15K_73WLS 320MB/s
[PCI 3/1] SCSI-B ID:0 LUN:0 -- MAXTOR ATLAS15K_73WLS 320MB/s
[PCI 3/1] Failed mirrordrive fragment of drive 0 recogized: not mounted
[PCI 3/1] RAID-1 Drive 0 installed as Host Drive 0
[PCI 3/1] RAID-1 Drive 0: 1 Drive(s) missing
[PCI 3/1] Turn offi system and reconnect missing drives
[PCI 3/1] Or press RETURN to continue
[PCI 3/1]

Press Ctrl G to enter Intel R storage console

If you press enter system boots into OS
thanks

pceinc
12-03-2011, 08:26 PM
If you enter RAID utility you should be able to tell which drive is missing.
Have you read this?
ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/raid_tsg.pdf

numnutz
12-03-2011, 08:44 PM
I get a message saying missing drive could not be identified replaced disk manually. press any key

YeOldeStonecat
12-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Odd working on that particular RAID controller error.
One thing that I find odd...it shows 2x Atlas drives....I am guessing it sees two drives...but notice both drives are the same SCSI ID? 0? (Zero)

Older and more basic SCSI systems, you had to manually assign the ID of SCSI drives on the parallel ribbon connection. Using jumpers on the drives. 0-12 or 0-15 or something like that. Each drive had to have a unique ID.

SnoSalmon
12-04-2011, 10:48 PM
What YeOldeStoneCat said - check the SCSI ID's on the drives to ensure they are unique (one would assume so seeing they have been running for X years).

A continuous beep is normally a RAID alarm indicating a failed drive. Replace the drive (if you can find a SCSI drive ok) and things should rebuild and work again.

numnutz
12-05-2011, 03:18 AM
gave my client a quote on replacing the drive waiting to hear back on what they want to do. If I can even find someone who as it in stock.....not sure dumping money into a server that is almost 7 1/2 years old is prudent but its there money not mine. also gave them quotes on a new system etc....thanks for all the help guys.

YeOldeStonecat
12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure of your location Numnutz.....but for some older server hardware, notably drives, we've used serversupply dot com
They often have great prices on older 3.5" SCSI drives that we can't get through normal wholesale channels anymore. Ranging from used, to reconditioned, to brand new still in the shrink wrapped farraday cage bag.

numnutz
12-05-2011, 05:23 PM
thanks for the resource I am on the East cost so they might work out perfect, thanks again

YeOldeStonecat
12-05-2011, 06:22 PM
thanks for the resource I am on the East cost so they might work out perfect, thanks again

Ahh you too? What state? CT here.