PDA

View Full Version : Recover data from bad hard drive

computerdoc
11-11-2011, 04:15 AM
The drive in my laptop crashed. It would not boot so I booted from an XP cd and got into the recovery console.

I ran a chkdsk /r which ran for a long time and finally got hung at 50% for a whole night. The laptop or perhaps the drive started making popping and clicking noises near the end of the chkdsk.

What is the safest way to extract data from the drive?

If necessary, how much would a recovery service charge?

Xander
11-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Safest way to extract data from a possibly-bad hard drive is NOT to run chkdsk on it overnight. Seriously. The fact that, by the end of it, it was popping and clicking means you (yes, you) probably killed it.

Image that sucker ASAP and, once the data has been backed up, -then- muck about with the drive.

Pricewise, I have a data backup rate (copy/paste within Windows); a 'basic' data recovery rate of $39 (boot with a live CD and copy over) and an 'advanced' of $79 which means I throw everything else I have at it.

MobileTechie
11-11-2011, 06:51 AM
The drive in my laptop crashed. It would not boot so I booted from an XP cd and got into the recovery console.

I ran a chkdsk /r which ran for a long time and finally got hung at 50% for a whole night. The laptop or perhaps the drive started making popping and clicking noises near the end of the chkdsk.

It depend whether you can mount the drive or not. Try mounting with a linux disk or with it slaved to another computer, and if you can see the data copy it off. if you can mount the drive but see no data then various data recovery tools might help.

if the drive has physical problems and you can mount it or worse you can't even see it in the BIOS then you have to send it away. The cost of that is unknowable at this point. Most of them will quote you for free.

gikstar
11-11-2011, 07:32 AM
You may have to get down and dirty with the freezer trick to help you get the data off the drive.:D

irishtech
11-11-2011, 09:05 AM
i have had lots of success with spinrite and getdataback., only if the BIOS is detecting the hard drive though

gikstar
11-11-2011, 06:31 PM
The problem with programs like Getdataback... your hard drive must be able to continue running. With his hard drive clicking as it is, I suspect that the hard drive may freeze up at any time making it even more difficult (expensive) to get his data back.

Karlin High
11-11-2011, 07:02 PM
My current favorite data recovery program is ddrescue, mainly because it doesn't quit if the drive gives an I/O error. If you need to send the drive off to recovery service lab, the one time I got prices I was seeing $700 to $2,000 USD. So far, none of my customers have been willing to pay that much.

Xander
11-11-2011, 07:31 PM
I just had a customer go through 300dollardatarecovery. His Outlook PST was in a dead sector and nothing I tried would pull it out. Brian (300ddr) has already recovered it and, last I heard a few days ago, they were just finishing off payment/shipping arrangements.

ZenMike
11-11-2011, 07:51 PM
The problem with programs like Getdataback... your hard drive must be able to continue running. With his hard drive clicking as it is, I suspect that the hard drive may freeze up at any time making it even more difficult (expensive) to get his data back.

Second SpinRite. I've had the most luck with SpinRite in exactly this scenario.

parker.casey
11-11-2011, 09:12 PM

If a drive is questionable, ALWAYS make a bit-for-bit image before continuing. I like RedoBackup.

computerdoc
11-21-2011, 05:38 PM
parker.casey,

I tried redobackup but it gave me an error on every sector and didn't give me an option for ignoring errors.

I can't get Spinrite to work on this drive because it says invalid sector 0.

It comes up as drive F on my DriveWire connector but I can't get at any of the data.

It looks like recovery services are the next stop

300DDR
06-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Second SpinRite. I've had the most luck with SpinRite in exactly this scenario.

FYI techs: DO NOT RUN SPINRITE IF DRIVE CONTAINS IMPORTANT DATA!

It's VERY risky and can end up destroying the data. For more info, just do a search for "spinrite" on forum.hddguru.com.

sys-eng
07-04-2012, 04:16 AM
I have ran SpinRite several times (often for hours and hours) but never recovered anything with it. It seems to be real busy and trying to do stuff but just doesn't quite recover anything for me.

300DDR
07-04-2012, 04:38 AM
It seems to be real busy and trying to do stuff but just doesn't quite recover anything for me.

It's probably destroying (or further damaging) the drive.

sys-eng
07-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I do image the drive first but just disappointed that I paid for this program that just hasn't worked for me even after letting it run for several days. Once I find bad blocks, I replace the drive anyway.

300DDR
07-05-2012, 03:03 AM
I do image the drive first but just disappointed that I paid for this program that just hasn't worked for me even after letting it run for several days. Once I find bad blocks, I replace the drive anyway.

Although that sucks, consider that you paid to learn that it's not a tool you should be using. Ever seen "A Bronx Tale"?