PDA

View Full Version : Wireless-G on a Wireless-N network

Stu
09-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Can Wireless-G devices take advantage of the increased range of Wireless-N networks?

I understand that to gain the speed and throughput improvements I would need Wireless-N adapters.

But what about the actual reach of the network?

JohnG
09-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Unfortunately, no. While N devices are compatible with G and B networks, the devices operate at their respective speed and range (G and B standards). So, if you were to purchase a N router, and own an older laptop, upgrade your wireless card to take advantage of speed and range.

The range of wireless N is up to four times the distance of G.

TimeCode
09-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Unfortunately, no. While N devices are compatible with G and B networks, the devices operate at their respective speed and range (G and B standards). So, if you were to purchase a N router, and own an older laptop, upgrade your wireless card to take advantage of speed and range.

The range of wireless N is up to four times the distance of G.
I use my 302.11n laptop on a 302.11g wireless network and I get no benefits. Does anybody here have a completely 302.11n network installed? How does it REALLY compare to 302.11g network speeds?

Checkmate
09-06-2008, 09:48 PM
My home network is completely N. Have upgraded all my wireless cards on two laptops to N. On average all machines that are wireless (2 laptops, 2 desktops) are running at about 275Mbps... sometimes when no one else is around I hit 300, lowest I've ever hit with the N setup is 125.

I advise my customers to defintely upgrade to N when they are looking at new laptops.