PDA

View Full Version : Windows xp wont start in safe mode or normal

bagellad
09-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi got a call today and my brain just isn't working. What is the best way to fix a laptop where it wont go to normal xp and when trying to go to safemode it freezes up at iabfihi.sys, any ideas?

tartis
09-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Try running chkdsk /f to try and repair any corrupt files, then try doing a repair using the Windows disk.

seedubya
09-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Exactly as Tartis said except that I'd run chkdsk /r just in case it's not booting because of a bad sector or two. Much more likely on a laptop. Takes longer though. Sometimes much longer.

It may start properly directly afterwards. If not it's a repair install.

For anyone else who's reading that doesn't know, you can run chkdsk on a computer that won't start Windows by booting to the windows CD and selecting R for the Recovery Console, a DOS like environment that allows you to interact on a limited level with the filesystem. You do however need to know the Administrator password.

bagellad
09-04-2008, 12:08 AM
as always you guys on this website are the best, Its running chkdsk now. Do you think I would be able to do the repair with my bootcd or another copy of windows xp? or would I require their copy? Its a Dell so probably has some special windows cd thats required.. What do you think?

cleanwithit
09-04-2008, 12:17 AM
as always you guys on this website are the best, Its running chkdsk now. Do you think I would be able to do the repair with my bootcd or another copy of windows xp? or would I require their copy? Its a Dell so probably has some special windows cd thats required.. What do you think?

You should be able to use any Windows XP disc, to repair it. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Pc Fixed Right
09-04-2008, 12:48 AM
chkdsk /f /r will also do the trick

bagellad
09-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Yeah Chkdsk /r did the trick, Thanks guys.

tartis
09-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah Chkdsk /r did the trick, Thanks guys.

If it now boots, you may want to check the drive for problems. There is usually a reason why the hard drive became corrupt. Hard drive failure may be just around the corner.

NWPhotog
09-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi got a call today and my brain just isn't working. What is the best way to fix a laptop where it wont go to normal xp and when trying to go to safemode it freezes up at iabfihi.sys, any ideas?

Computer repair 101. Argghhh.

XFalloutX
09-04-2008, 07:43 PM
You should be able to use any Windows XP disc, to repair it. Correct me if i'm wrong.

As long as it is a Dell OS CD it will work. Thats the thing I like about Dell's. As long as it is a Dell OS CD you can load a Dell with anything.

seedubya
09-04-2008, 08:07 PM
chkdsk /f /r will also do the trick

/r implies /f
every keystroke counts...:D

Pc Fixed Right
09-05-2008, 12:56 AM
chkdsk /f /r will both fix errors and recover lost data :D

seedubya
09-05-2008, 10:11 AM
What I meant was "there's no need to type both /f and /r as typing /r runs both scans i.e. there is no advantage in typing both"
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/prork/pref_tts_ffgh.mspx?mfr=true