PDA

View Full Version : Server Backup

mobiledudes
10-25-2011, 08:49 AM
I have a customer whos using qbooks, few other accounting programs to backup their database the are currently using Symantec BackUp Exec I'm not familiar with backup servers with those type of databases.

controlfreak
10-25-2011, 12:49 PM
not entirely sure what your question is in regards to backing up quickbook files but symantec is image based and can backup the specified volume which can include the quickbooks database.

Check this thread might give you more info on server backup

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28204

MobileTechie
10-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Yes, what is the question?

krtechsolutions
10-25-2011, 01:34 PM
backup exec is not an image based backup, that is there old school file level program that have been around for years.

They do have an image based backup software called system restore which I personally don't like.

now to answer you question as long as you are backup up the folder that the quickbooks database is in your are backing up the database, as there is no special backup package needed to backup a quickbooks database like an exchange or sql database, however I would have the customer shut down quickbooks every night so that the database is backed up correctly.

If you are looking for an awesome server image based backup check out shadow protect, its a great product and works well.

controlfreak
10-26-2011, 07:15 AM
wasn't it just changed from backup exec system recovery to just system recovery if my memory serves me right and system recovery was actually apart of the back exec family???

Sorry for not being specific as backup exec had more then one flavour

krtechsolutions
10-26-2011, 02:33 PM
wasn't it just changed from backup exec system recovery to just system recovery if my memory serves me right and system recovery was actually apart of the back exec family???

Sorry for not being specific as backup exec had more then one flavour

really is was called that but it was to different products and both needed their own license.

system recovery was a software that was bought by symantec to compete in the image based backup world. i can't remember the name before

Trenatos
10-27-2011, 06:57 PM
You back it up just like anything else..

dipper
10-29-2011, 11:28 AM
If you just want a plain old file copy I'd recommend Cobian Backup!

mobiledudes
12-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Sorry guys I was on vacation they have 8 works stations I would like to create an image of each every week or so and they all share the same database right now they have several hard drivers on the server with databases from intuit etc and I would like to image those as well.

YeOldeStonecat
12-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Have them do native backups WITHIN Quickbooks....and copy those files to the server...allowing the servers backup software to grab those backup files.

Always best, IMO, to do native backups within accounting software...rather than just let some backup software to copies of live files. Doing a native backup within accounting software itself prepares all the necessary data, in a package that you can easily restore the company from.

Slaters Kustum Machines
12-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Have them do native backups WITHIN Quickbooks....and copy those files to the server...allowing the servers backup software to grab those backup files.

Always best, IMO, to do native backups within accounting software...rather than just let some backup software to copies of live files. Doing a native backup within accounting software itself prepares all the necessary data, in a package that you can easily restore the company from.

+1 ^^^ what he said.