PDA

View Full Version : Problem Resolution Database?

Mushin
10-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Does anyone know of a datase solution (Already Existing) that is setup for our type of business that would be well sutied for documenting resolutions to problems.

As an example:
We all run into problem that need to be researched on the internet. Often time I find that the vast majority of "fixes" are already something that may have been tried but after some digging we find that "key" piece of information that sets up on the right path to repair. This is where good documentation of the problem and steps used to resolve the issue become key.

I want something facilitate that documentation process.

thun
10-23-2011, 02:07 AM
Just do a search for any ticketing software. Helps keep track of issues with comments, file uploads and more.

Jeffreynya
10-23-2011, 02:26 AM
I have asked about knowledge bases and looked for solutions but have not found anything really great yet.

I would love to see a web app. Maybe a WIKI type site like we have here. The downfall of that is that anyone can edit it. There are hundreds or thousands of solutions to issues just on this forum. But they are hard to find and you have to drill down through sometimes useless info. Posting the final solution somewhere after its found would be great and easier to search.

allanc
10-23-2011, 02:51 AM
I have asked about knowledge bases and looked for solutions but have not found anything really great yet.

I would love to see a web app. Maybe a WIKI type site like we have here. The downfall of that is that anyone can edit it. There are hundreds or thousands of solutions to issues just on this forum. But they are hard to find and you have to drill down through sometimes useless info. Posting the final solution somewhere after its found would be great and easier to search.
I agree.
I may be going against the flow here but I think that that section of the Web site should be limited to actual technicians and/or be subscription based (nominal annual fee).
Flames off please.

K007
10-23-2011, 01:26 PM
really usefull knoledge base is built-up slowly during years of work.
companies who do have that will not be willing to make it available.
While looking for the one you asked here, start building up your own.
It only has to have 2 parts:
1.Simptoms (problem)
2.Resolution.

Just a note
I wouldn't start filling up the knowedge base with articles found on the internet.
They are not always the right resolution for the problem they describe.
I always record the resolution after I fix it myself.

Edit.
I built up my KB using TS Man's "Knoledge Base" feature.

NerdHouse
10-23-2011, 04:21 PM
I started a blog with issues/fixes. I shared it with people just because. If I was to do it again I'd just use a private wiki and document it there.

FoolishTech
10-23-2011, 05:01 PM
As above, I keep my really weird issues on a blog.

But I've also used MS OneNote to keep track of problems/resolutions. Mostly for the nice SEARCH feature, because I am horrible at organization. It's also nice to be able to drag n' drop files to OneNote so I can store reg files, batch files, zip files, whatever right along side the notes. Problem is if you set it up to base your notebook on the web so you can access it anywhere via web browser, it doesn't support having the files in your notebook... only notes :(

I haven't tried Evernote, but that's another option.

You could also google "portable wiki" or "usb wiki" or similar and come up with some useful alternatives.

MikeLierman
10-23-2011, 11:52 PM
I use Evernote! It's awesome! Only thing I'm concerend about (and this isn't a problem at the moment), is that I am constantly thinking ahead and thinking, "okay when I get employees, how will this work?" The fact is that I'm a bit concerned that I can only upload 60MB during a 30 day period, unless I pay extra (which is expensive). If you're taking pictures of the work you do, it can easily add up. For $45.00 a year, you get up to 1GB upload per month, which seems very reasonable. They currently have no size limits for the total size of your account.

Right now, I have a 50GB free box.net account, and I have CamScanner Pro on my Droid X2, I scan all engagement forms and take pics of all equipment and it's uploaded to box.net, and I keep that window open on my computer, and use the Evernote clipper to quickly grab the link of the box.net file/page and add it to the client's notes.

I love Evernote because everything is searchable. I use it for all of my client note taking.

Speaking of all of this, I have an Android tablet and the MobileBiz Pro app, it takes care of all my invoicing needs, I bought a capacitive stylus for $7.99 on Amazon and the app lets clients sign and includes that on their receipt/invoice, which get's emailed to them as a PDF (I have it BCC to a special gmail account as well so I know there is always someway to get a hold of invoices (sent to customer, stored on my tab, and sent to private email). I no longer print my invoices--unless they specifically ask me to. I'm thinking of having my invoices all emailed (BCC'd) to a special folder in box.net. Or maybe ditch the gmail and have them uploaded to box.net.. hmm.. I don't know, I'm still thinking about this one.

When I am repairing PCs I use D7, and it allows to send a system report of system information like ram, hd, processor, software, name, etc, and I have that emailed to my Evernote account. Eventually, everything except the invoices get put into a special notebook for each client. Ideally, I would like to be able to have my invoices emailed to my everynote account, but at 1mb or more a pdf, that adds up way too quick.

Larry Sabo
10-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Right now, I have a 50GB free box.net accountHow did you manage that? Their pricing page mentions $19.99/month for 50GB.

MichaelsComputerServices
10-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Are you thinking along a knowledge base type setup? This is a good one:
http://www.comm100.com/knowledgebase/ (I use their php chat system)

Jeffreynya
10-24-2011, 02:12 AM
That looks pretty good. Will check it out.

Where I work now we have 70 to 80k employees and probably about 300 or so level 2 techs. So knowledge is huge. When someone comes across a problem and resolves it, it goes to knowledge authors who look it over and format it for the app we use. Then they contact the team in control of the app to see if there are any issues with the fix and if not its gets published for all to use. So now everyone can spend less time fixing this issue and moving on to the next.

This is what I would love to see in a community like this. It happens often in the forum, but once the solution is found the thread ends and gets buried. The search feature is ok, but will still have a hard time sorting through everything.

I know its probably unrealistic, but would be very cool and help each an every one of us.

kmeyntz
10-24-2011, 03:21 AM
I have been using hesk for a bit and it allows you to setup a public knowledge base as well as create a private one for tech only use.

allanc
10-24-2011, 03:27 AM
That looks pretty good. Will check it out.

Where I work now we have 70 to 80k employees and probably about 300 or so level 2 techs. So knowledge is huge. When someone comes across a problem and resolves it, it goes to knowledge authors who look it over and format it for the app we use. Then they contact the team in control of the app to see if there are any issues with the fix and if not its gets published for all to use. So now everyone can spend less time fixing this issue and moving on to the next.

This is what I would love to see in a community like this. It happens often in the forum, but once the solution is found the thread ends and gets buried. The search feature is ok, but will still have a hard time sorting through everything.

I know its probably unrealistic, but would be very cool and help each an every one of us.
I don't know if it is or isn't realistic right now.
However, it doesn't have to be in the future.
I would get involved in any way that I can be of use.
Such a waste of time to reinvent the wheel over and over again.

sudo
10-28-2011, 09:46 AM
I am actually working on a project that does this. It is a Wiki format so the only difference from the one on this site is Me and some volunteers/friends will be working hard to populate it with information. I was going to keep it private on a server but I can host it if people are interested in volunteering. :)

MyComputerHero
10-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know of a datase solution (Already Existing) that is setup for our type of business that would be well sutied for documenting resolutions to problems.

I want something facilitate that documentation process.

I'm a big fan of ExpertsExchange. I've had a membership for years. It's not perfect but it saves me a tonne of time. However you may want something a little more formal and private. I know ConnectWise has such a feature (among others).

dipper
10-30-2011, 10:32 AM
I would love such a kb and would be willing to pay a fair price for it too!

fixitdaz
10-31-2011, 01:13 AM
You could use this ms access database, Trackfixmsa2000.exe (http://www.mediafire.com/file/g9qlmrv4w2nykn3/Trackfixmsa2000.exe) This is how i keep a log of odd repairs, Hope it helps

allanc
10-31-2011, 01:51 AM
Are you thinking along a knowledge base type setup? This is a good one:
http://www.comm100.com/knowledgebase/ (I use their php chat system)
Slightly off topic ...
Would you also happen to be using Comm100 chat on your smartphone (BlackBerry)?
We are also using their chat and are considering their smartphone version.