PDA

View Full Version : Is there a simple way of resetting windows 7 folder permisions?

joydivision
10-22-2011, 11:41 AM
A customer has downloaded that DHL virus and as a result it hid all the folders. I have now made them all not hidden but I now need to reset the permisons back to where they were.

Rather than going through every folder on the C: drive is there a way of automatically resetting this?

I did have a look at google but didn't find anything.

Thanks

Martyn
10-22-2011, 12:16 PM
I had something like this recently and I just run a file called unhide.exe and it did the lot

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

Cambridge PC Support
10-22-2011, 12:47 PM
I read somewhere here a while back that unhide is a bit ott although I don't know of a good alternative

never used it myself, but would something like subinacl be useful for something like this?

ie run it against a filesystem on a fresh install of 7 (or other WinOS) - fully updated with all the patches & SPs - to produce a definitive list of permissions and then run it on the affected system to duplicate those permissions

Encrypted Existence
10-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I believe Foolishtech's D7 has a feature that repairs or resets permissions.

Edit: D7 uses subinacl.

FoolishTech
10-22-2011, 04:28 PM
A customer has downloaded that DHL virus and as a result it hid all the folders. I have now made them all not hidden but I now need to reset the permisons back to where they were.

Rather than going through every folder on the C: drive is there a way of automatically resetting this?

I did have a look at google but didn't find anything.

Thanks

D7's Repair Permissions feature (on both the Repair and Malware tabs) gets every file/dir on the target partition, also does the registry. Takes a while, but works great!

I had to add that in as I've been seeing a LOT of permissions issues after malware removals lately.

Hope that helps!

I believe Foolishtech's D7 has a feature that repairs or resets permissions.

Edit: D7 uses subinacl.

Yep! As of a recent version it does, and beats the pants off the old secedit way, because it actually works hehe.