PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba, Vista and Need Pwr Bttn Pressed Constantly To Work

nightkingdoms
10-22-2011, 03:29 AM
I have a client's laptop right now. It's a Toshiba A205 running Windows Vista Home. Original complaint was that the client spilled about half a glass of water on the table it was sitting on and into the keyboard. Client removed battery (smart), soaked up as much as they could with paper towels (also smart), then left it in the sun for 2 days (not so smart lol).

Client tried starting it after leaving it in the sun and it would start for about 2-5 seconds then quickly the power would be cut off. Client found that it will start and work just fine as long as the power button is pressed. If they take their finger off the button it shuts off either immediately or within 10 seconds.

First thing I did was the most complicated which was disassembling it. I went through it with a high powered flashlight to see if there were any shiny spots (aka water) and went through it with a can of air. I went through the thing with a fine tooth comb, especially the power button area. I found nothing. I've got the battery sitting vertically on the power button to keep it running and I'm hoping that the internal heat will cook off any water (if that's the case) from the power button/top keyboard bevel. There was nothing wrong with the actual button on the board it pushes nor any liquid whatsoever that I could find.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

phaZed
10-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Sounds like some liquid got on the mobo or connectors. I usually take out the motherboard and give it an alcohol scrub (91% isopropyl) with a soft toothbrush. Usually clears these weird issues.

nightkingdoms
10-22-2011, 05:12 AM
I broke down the laptop as far as I was comfortable with and was able to access the motherboard, etc. I did clean the inside with alcohol and cotton swabs just to be sure, but I'm getting nowhere with this thing. What I think is really odd is that if you keep the button pressed on a normal-acting laptop, it would turn back off.

I had it running for an hour and removed the battery from holding down the power button, turned off in about 10 seconds. Restarted by pressing the button again and it stayed on for about 30 seconds which is much longer than before. I'm going to leave it on over night to see if it can resolve itself that way with the button pressed down the entire time. Try again tomorrow. *shrugs*

atlanticjim
10-22-2011, 10:29 AM
The power button is on a separate daughter board as is commonly the case.

Replace it.

New $40
Used $20

TechLoopPC
10-22-2011, 09:11 PM
is there a separate wire running to the power button or is it part of a board? Sometime you can disconnect the power button circuit board and just jump the wires with a paper clip --- this will determine if the problem is before the button. If you're lucky you'll just have to replace the daughter board.

nightkingdoms
10-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys. Sorry about the delay, been a little busy. I've decided that seems everything else is functional in every way that I recommended replacing the daughter board. I've ordered it and we'll see what happens when I get it and put it in. Hopefully that's the cause because I'm at a loss for what else it could've shorted out when it seems the only part of the computer seemingly affected is the power button. lol

BTW @TechLoopPC, tried jumping it with a paperclip and it didn't work, so I guess we'll just see once I get the board in.

nightkingdoms
10-28-2011, 12:52 AM
Well the replacement power button board came in and I replaced it with the new one including a new ZIF cable. Nada. Same as it was. I'm at a loss of what to do now.

As far as I can tell with all of the internal components there's wrong with this laptop. I'm just thinking the water shorted out something on the motherboard itself that's not showing physically. But like I said, with the power button pressed, it works just fine. I'm about to hand this thing back to them and tell them to buy a new one. Which is sad, because it does work, just not correctly and I'm not finding it. Grrr...

Slaters Kustum Machines
10-28-2011, 04:13 PM
At this point I think I would replace the motherboard if the laptop is worth the cost.

nightkingdoms
10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
That's what I recommended. I stripped the laptop to bare essentials and it still does the behavior. I advised the client that the only possible parts left would be the processor and motherboard.

Because the processor works fine while the power button is pressed it leads back to the motherboard. I gave them an estimate on the motherboard replacement and it's not cost effective so I recommended not to go forward on it.

So that's it! Thanks for everybody's help!