PDA

View Full Version : T1 to Wireless router?

Checkmate
08-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Had a customer walk up to me today, asked if it was possible to hook up a standard wireless router to a T1 interface box (you know the box where the line comes into the building). I told him I would do some research and find out. I personally don't see why you wouldn't be able to use something along those lines to work as the router and switch, but then again, I'm not used to working with a T1. Any help would be appreciated.

hawks5999
08-29-2008, 05:43 AM
If he already has Cat5 coming out of "the box" then yes, you can put a wireless router on the other end. When you have your T1 installed, it's best to have the installer punch it down so that You have a Cat5 cable as your interface to the T1.

NWPhotog
08-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I think what your customer is calling the "box" is the smartjack at the demarc. Quite honestly I am not sure if you can directly connect from that to a wireless router. All the installs I've done have been to a Cisco router. My hunch is you can.

thecoldone06
08-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't think you'll be able to. the routers in question to my knowledge do not support BGP or any other external routing protocol. The smartjack and T1 lines connect the border router at your ISP to the border router at your location. These two routers must talk over a protocol which can be routed over the internet (such as BGP, border gateway protocol). If you can find a router that supports something like this then you should be good to go. I'm not an expert but I don't think it would work.

NYJimbo
08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Normally a ISP is not going to let you hook up anything between their CSU/DSU (often integrated into modern routers) and the smartjack. So what I am guessing is that the client has either fiber or copper (pairgain probably) coming into the office then going to a smartjack then going to the router (perhaps something like a Cisco 1721) and then that going to a switch or hub which has all the office cat5/5e based stuff hooked up to.

In theory you should be able to hook another router to the switch or to the ISPs router/modem but you would have to know enough about the ISP's unit and understand all of the routing, available protocols and if there are any limitations on the switch or if a firewall is in place.

Checkmate
08-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Good morning all, and thanks for the answers. I talked to the client a little this morning and here is what he has told me.

Technician came out yesterday afternoon, installed T1 line. Terminated at "box", said box has a RJ45 and client took that cable and attached it to a PC to see if he could get out to internet. That was a no go.

Install tech told him he needed a switch. Now I'm not positive, but after the answers here and my own research, wouldn't you use something like a Cisco router, not a switch? (Or SonicWall for those that like them).

But from what he's described to me, there is nothing that is translating protocols, so that's where I'm confused. I've set up networks before, but mostly small business, home office. He's wanting to either go wireless if possible, but thinking for speed he may just want to stick with wired.

Hope that helps clarify a little.

thecoldone06
08-29-2008, 02:52 PM
He will need a router that supports the border protocols to talk to the ISP router. From the router at the border, he can connect anything he likes. He could connect a PC, switch, wireless router, anything he likes to the bordering router. But, yes, he will need some sort of router connected to the smarjack that can talk to the "internet".

Checkmate
08-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Thank you all. Will explain it to him in layman terms of: Cisco router will act like your standard home modem. Then from that router, can add say a Linksys WRVS4400N wireless, if client decides to continue on wireless path.

If not, I should be able to just use the Cisco to run cable to PCs. Please correct me if I have anything wrong.

And once again, I appreciate the help

thecoldone06
08-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes, you are correct. Does he have more than 1 device to connect to the network? If so, you will need a switch or have all devices to be wireless.

TimeCode
08-29-2008, 04:28 PM
If the T1 terminates at an ADTRAN box you NEED a crossover cable coming out of the Adtran into your router or computer. I know, from a networking perspective it makes no sense but that is the way that Adtran boxes are wired.

NYJimbo
08-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Bottom line, he needs to contact the provider that got the T1 provisioned and ask them what needs to be hooked up to the smartjack.

It's amost unheard of to just order a T1, it has to be specifically setup to talk to something and that something has an IP address and will provide further routing. So it's likely he either already has a router and doesnt know it or he just has a T1 going nowhere, which I cannot imagine is true.

A T1 is not just like a POTS copper voice circuit, you must have someone on the other end who is going to handle your data, which means your unit/router/csu-dsu will have an ip, there will be a gateway address and so on. Like I said before almost anyone providing T1 will DEMAND nothing sits between the jack and what they consider to be their demarc (isp not telco), usually a router/modem combo.

He really needs to contact the people who sold him the T1.

Checkmate
08-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Well unfortunately the person never got back to me today. I will wait and see after the holiday.

I learned alot with this little question thanks go out to everyone who answered.

TimeCode
09-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Is there any update?

Checkmate
09-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately I have not gotten any response back from this guy. So I've pretty much checked him off as a dud. I do appreciate all the help from you guys on this, and I've been looking at the Sonicwall T180 line for the future.