PDA

View Full Version : Preped HDD with XP

i2omani
08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Guys,

I was just wondering if any of you did/doing this:
I thought in my down time to go buy 2 or more laptop HDD "different sizes", Format them and install Windows XP and have then ready for future customers.
This way if I got called by a client and they say I need to replace my laptop hard disk, I can surprise them and say "Sir / Mam I could come over at your place and replace and have your computer ready in 1hr!!!"

thecoldone06
08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Are you going to buy XP and give them a new COA?

i2omani
08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Are you going to buy XP and give them a new COA?
No use their COA

thecoldone06
08-26-2008, 03:14 PM
This might be a stupid question but how do you pre-install XP without giving it their key?

i2omani
08-26-2008, 04:14 PM
This might be a stupid question but how do you pre-install XP without giving it their key?
Using OEM copy, don't activate it , and when its time to install in client machine then you can activate it using their COA;)

thecoldone06
08-26-2008, 04:17 PM
sweet. Let us know how it works out for you! :)

i2omani
08-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Will do... I just thought to share my idea and see if anyone have thought of doing this and if they had any success :cool:

NYJimbo
08-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Someone please confirm this for me as I am not sure if I understand the activation process completely:

If you prep a disk with XP and then shelve it for a couple months, the instant you try to bring it up on a PC it will look at the clock and say "You must register RIGHT NOW or the machine will be shut down".

I think you can prep a drive and not activate but after 30 days (is it 30?) you must activate or it will not come up all the way.

Prepping a drive and storing it beyond that date makes the XP loaded drive useless. Is this true or will you be able to continue to load stuff and then finally activate it.

thecoldone06
08-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes, it is 30 days. When he installs it into the clients machine the first thing I would imagine he would do is activate it. It will allow you to get into the OS, it will just tell you every 30 seconds you need to activate and I believe that is all it will allow you to do. So it will allow him to do so after the 30 days.

Azz
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
There may also be some driver issues, just like if you install a new motherboard and have to do a repair install.

Aaron

i2omani
08-29-2008, 02:08 PM
There may also be some driver issues, just like if you install a new motherboard and have to do a repair install.

Aaron
Well yes, you can't prep a HDD in on Laptop/Desktop and expect it to just pop it in another Laptop/Desktop and hope it will work! each machine have a UID(Unique ID), it will look for it when it boots. So after you install a prep HDD in another machine you will have to run a Repair to update that UID.

can someone confirm this for me please? i just do want to be guiding him the wrong direction.

Regards
Romani

Crgky127
08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
The driver issues and time spent repairing wouldn't be worth it to me. IMHO you'll save more time with Nlite.

MrMille
08-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Using OEM copy, don't activate it , and when its time to install in client machine then you can activate it using their COA;)

which OEM copy?
a dell OEM won't install on a HP for example

thor999
09-16-2008, 03:23 AM
No, I've tried this before; full version XP installed on a computer's HDD, then I just moved that HDD to another computer, and was prompted to reactivate XP due to a hardware change. Also, I didn't even get the full 30 days to activate after that! No, sorry but I believe this idea of yours will cause you much suffering, and implore that you do not waste your time and sanity with such a venture; also, do you really want to deprive yourself of that extra $$$ for onsitre reformatting?

Bullfighter
09-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Depending on how old the laptop is or who the vendor is you will have HAL issues. Most newer laptops use a ACPI Uniprocessor HAL, but older ones will use an Advance Config hal (I'm not sure what the differences are, I just know I've seen the problem). You can put Advanced Config hals on newer machines, but going the other way you risk blue screening.

You could run the initial file copy phase (light blue screen), then shut it down and let the rest of the process continue once it is in the new host machine.

EP

Bullfighter
09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
However... :-) Vista is a different story. If you install Vista and run sysprep on it (sysprep -generalize -oobe) you could actually capture an image of vista and lay it down on your laptop hard drives and just slap them in.

It will start up just like it was just installed and it should prompt you for a license code (if you remove the license key from the unattend.xml).

... of course then they'd be using Vista and I don't wish that on my worst enemy :-)

EP

MrMille
09-21-2008, 10:05 AM
In laymans terms, what can be achieved with nlite?

Bryce W
09-21-2008, 10:19 AM
There are far too many variables to make this worth your time. Other than the driver issues the others mentioned. What version of XP will you be installing on these hard drives? XP Home or Pro, then there is OEM/Retail/Corporate/VL versions. Really just doesnt sound worth it.

Besides, I'd rather install XP on the clients billable time than my unpaid time before hand.

ootuoyetahi
09-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Besides, I'd rather install XP on the clients billable time than my unpaid time before hand.

Nicely put.