PDA

View Full Version : After the Cleanup

stevenamills
08-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Just wondering what others leave on a computer when they return it to the customer after delousing.

I generally add:

1. Antivirus
2. Antispyware
3. Firefox (if not already there)
4. Junk cleaner such as CrapCleaner
5. Manual Antispyware program (e.g. Spybot)
6. Some sort of startup manager
7. A card explaining the cleanup process and what they are getting back.

Comments?

Steve

seedubya
08-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Crap Cleaner and JK Defrag GUI

Nothing else, unless they specifically asked for it or are paying for it.

NYJimbo
08-25-2008, 09:04 PM
I leave HJT and CPUID's HWmonitor or something similiar. Helps me over the phone to make some checks.

I always install Spybot and AVG Free but I put those icons on their desktop and explain them so I dont consider it to be something stealthy I leave for my use.

koonter
08-25-2008, 09:16 PM
avg and spybot. its not enough but if i would install any more then i couldnt really charge them to customize their pc. does anybody else here offer that or a similar service?

compudoc
08-25-2008, 09:58 PM
I leave avg (easiest customer interface), and adaware 08. I like spybot, but avg and it will see each others quarantine folders and give false positives. Everything else i use i remove. I then go into program files and delete left behind folders from the software i used and the c drive if i used smitfraud or combo to delete the logs, lastly i use ccleaner, then remove it, then i use eusing free registry cleaner to clean the registry. I get lots of failed virus removals after geek squad tries and fails, and ive noticed the junk they leave behind, my goal, when u get your computer back, not to leave tracks behind of what ive done!

stevenamills
08-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I get lots of failed virus removals after geek squad tries and fails, and ive noticed the junk they leave behind....

I had someone ask me last week why I could do something the Geek Squad couldn't. I told her "because I know what I'm doing!".....

TimeCode
08-25-2008, 11:12 PM
I had someone ask me last week why I could do something the Geek Squad couldn't. I told her "because I know what I'm doing!".....
That's great!!!!!

Pc Fixed Right
08-26-2008, 01:13 AM

Its funny cause its true...:D

Crgky127
08-26-2008, 02:03 AM
On topic: AVG if they have nothing else, firefox w/ adblockplus, and lately I've been leaving HJT with a little autoit program to FTP the log to my server. I don't leave anything else unless they ask.

Geeksquad: A customer came to me the other day with AVXP08 and said geeksquad had it for a week and couldn't take it off, and had 15 others with it. I thought it was impossible for them to be that dumb (honestly all the 08 variations I've come across are very easy to remove, and rely more on social engineering), so the other day I called them up and pretended to be a customer with the virus. They said they haven't had a 100% success rate and recommended a backup and restore, I asked if my programs would still be there and they said no, they could try a virus removal though. They said it would be about a week and $200. Apparently I am the only tech in my area that can use google :rolleyes:.

ootuoyetahi
08-26-2008, 02:17 AM
well, I dont really consider the geek squad to be techs.

gunslinger
08-26-2008, 02:38 AM
I leave avg (easiest customer interface), and adaware 08. I like spybot, but avg and it will see each others quarantine folders and give false positives. Everything else i use i remove. I then go into program files and delete left behind folders from the software i used and the c drive if i used smitfraud or combo to delete the logs, lastly i use ccleaner, then remove it, then i use eusing free registry cleaner to clean the registry. I get lots of failed virus removals after geek squad tries and fails, and ive noticed the junk they leave behind, my goal, when u get your computer back, not to leave tracks behind of what ive done!

Why don't you just use portable versions of these programs instead of installing them and uninstalling them?

See my mobile kit here: http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3114

compudoc
08-27-2008, 10:57 PM
thanks gunslinger, i actually have started to do that after reading some posts on here. Just havent had the time to update my zip drive with all the programs. Gotta do it though, maybe tonight, will save time in the long run!:)