PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on EEEPC 901 - span the SSDs?

MobileTechie
09-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Is there an easy way of installing Ubuntu 11.04 on an eeepc 901 (the one with 1x4GB and 1x8GB SSD) so that the 2 drives are essentially spanned / joined.

I'm asking because when I use the installer it's asking which drive to use and for mount points (for which I'm not sure I really understand the full ramifications). I've said to use the 4GB one for the OS on a mountpoint of / and set a mount point for the larger one as /home.

However it occurs to me that the whole thing would be more efficient if linux would just treat the two drives as one 12GB drive thus maximising the use of space for both the OS and user data.

BurlingtonITGuy.com
12-22-2011, 06:05 PM
One thing that you could look into is LVM (Logical Volume Management) in Linux.

It's been a bit since I've had to deal with it, but I believe you can create an LVM partition on each of the drives, then you can combine both drives into a Volume Group, which you can then create a 12GB (ish) partition on top of, so it ends up being a lot like creating a RAID 0 array of your two unmatched drives. It might sound a bit complicated, and it is somewhat confusing doing it in command line, but I imagine Ubuntu has a nice wizard as an option during the initial install, you probably just need to click advanced at the drive setup screen.

Hope this helps, or at least steers you in the right direction.

mouse
12-24-2011, 09:30 PM
You can just use the / as a mount point. Linux uses mount points a drive is mounted in a directory instead of C: or D: usually in /media or in /mnt but you can mount them anywhere you like. If you have multiple drives or partitions you can use one of them as your home directory /home, but it is not mandatory, just makes it easier if you need to reinstall you dont loose your home directory and data. If you need to combine drives into a large one just use software raid.

TechLady
12-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Full Ubunbtu may not run that great on that system (I know, I tried)...though maybe the new version is different. You could give Jolicloud a whirl on it--it is based on Ubuntu but a little easier on underpowered netbooks.