PDA

View Full Version : repair install help.

Encrypted Existence
09-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Hello all. Is legal for me to use any windows 7 installation disc to do repair installs on win 7 machines? Would it work? I believe it would but plz correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

PaulRome
09-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Give this a read.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Best of luck

shamrin
09-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Hello all. Is legal for me to use any windows 7 installation disc to do repair installs on win 7 machines? Would it work? I believe it would but plz correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

To be legal, the owner has to have a valid license and, in all cases I know of, the Windows install media. This means either a disc, an installation partition on their drive or re-installation discs from the computer manufacturer. If these criteria are met, then you should be OK.

Encrypted Existence
09-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks PaulRome. It says I need to repair install using an install disc that is the exact same version of win7 that I am repairing. Now suppose I use the eicfg removal utility on any win7 .iso. Would I then be able to use that .iso to do a repair install on any version of win7? Thanks.

PaulRome
09-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks PaulRome. It says I need to repair install using an install disc that is the exact same version of win7 that I am repairing. Now suppose I use the eicfg removal utility on any win7 .iso. Would I then be able to use that .iso to do a repair install on any version of win7? Thanks.

Not really positive, think it may work. Don't see why it wouldn't. I would clone the disk first in case it doesn't.

Best of luck

FoolishTech
09-26-2011, 06:57 PM
To be legal, the owner has to have a valid license and, in all cases I know of, the Windows install media. This means either a disc, an installation partition on their drive or re-installation discs from the computer manufacturer. If these criteria are met, then you should be OK.

It will work, yes. But it will not be legit. Using any means to modify Microsoft's Windows media is a violation of their terms. Only Microsoft Licensing (which is a separate company from Microsoft proper) has the rights to create/modify Windows installation media; with the exception of creation of media by the end user as a direct result of the method the OEM provides (i.e. burning a restore CD as some OEM's will prompt you to do as part of, or after, the OOBE).