PDA

View Full Version : What is the latest and greatest stress tester ?

NYJimbo
08-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Guy brings in a laptop. He says he can't get anything to work, can't reload the o/s, etc..

I try it here in the shop and can do anything and reload the o/s, so I am thinking it could be a thermal issue at his house. I used memtest86+ to slap around the ram for a couple hours and didnt get it to die but I would like to try something that really beats the crap out of this machine before I give it back to him.

Anyone recommendations, really want it to be something I can leave running for an hour or two and not have to keep hitting "enter" or something.

08-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Passmark Burn in Test might fit the bill

NYJimbo
08-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Man I hate repairs like this. Everything is working perfectly, full restore, beat the heck out of it. Not one error or weird issue.

When the customer tried to do it himself and took it to his "tech friend" and they couldnt do anything. It's not that I am better, I mean I just did exactly what they did.

I just know this damn this is going f-ck up as soon as they take it home.

:mad:

seedubya
08-21-2008, 06:02 PM
All you can do is tell him exactly that and charge him your lowest rate, diagnostic fee whatever. In cases like this CYA is the only way to go.

Crgky127
08-22-2008, 03:41 PM
And show it's working when he picks it up.

NYJimbo
08-22-2008, 04:07 PM
He is sending his young daughter to pick it up. Fantastic, I'm sure she is going to tell him everything I tell her. :rolleyes: