PDA

View Full Version : First time getting my bank account hacked any one gone through this? Heres what Idid

MMAUY
08-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Well I am pretty pissed was gonna fill my car with gas today and I got declined, I had some cash and I payed and had some things to do so decided to check my account at night. Well turns out some one bouth some stuff from scholastic and just a few minutes ago also bought something in a Vegas based company. Now if her was a good hacker he would have covered his tracks or at the least not purchase something that would stand out in my account balance. So I know he is not that good and is most likely a script kiddy. But he was good enough to get my account info and use it. I called up the vegas based company. They are a educational company selling educational dvd's. He gave them his name and shipping address so they have that. I have his name now I need to see if he used the same name for scholastic. If he did then its most likely that is his real name. So I got my money back from that company, Scholastic is closed right now so there is no way of getting a hold of them till morning and the company I bank with is also closed. I cant sleep because I am pissed and I want to get this behind me. Is it recommended to change the whole bank account number or just the card number? I know he has my card info but I dunno if he has my account info. Well that is what is going on so far with my situation. I would like to hear the experiences you have had and what you did. Thanks I will update tomorrow.

cleanwithit
08-21-2008, 09:03 AM
There should be a 1-800 number on the back of your card, call it and report it stolen.

MMAUY
08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Finally got through to them I canceled my card and I am getting issued a new one, I am pressing charges on this guy I know who he is and have his shipping address I just hope it is his name and it is his address, I got most of my money back I need to call scholastic, from there its not much I think its like 10 bucks but I mean that at least a quarter tank of gas lol if that.

mh348
08-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Doesn't your bank offer a text message (sms) service? My bank has that so if there are any withdrawals, electronic payments, transfer or any activity on my account I get a message on my cellphone as well as an email.

tartis
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Most of the time it is just a drop off address where UPS will just leave a box, and the scammer will pick it up later. Then again, you could be lucky.

gunslinger
08-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Most of the time when something like this happens its not some sophisticated hacker getting into your computer. You could pay with your card somewhere and they jot down the # real quick when you are not looking, all they need is the card # the expiry date and the security code on the back to make purchases.

Double check your security for sure but don't forget the simple things like giving the # out on the phone and letting the girl at the restaurant walk off with the card.

I had my verizon account hacked a few years ago. Now I have it set up were its all double password protected, I keep my phone locked, and to make any changes to the account I have to answer a series of questions by phone or in person and have a pass phrase and ID.

08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
I had this happen late last year. I have no solid proof, but it was a company that I used to buy lcd screens from. I know it was them, because they were the only ones that had both credit cards numbers that were used....that, and all of the stuff was shipped within three miles of their office.

One card was a bank visa, the other an american express. Dealing with the bank was a pain in the ass...they made me submit multiple copies of paperwork, then acted like I'm an idiot for using the card.
I asked both the Bank and American express how something was ordered if it wasn't going to a confirmed address. The bank accosted me for such a thought, American Express said 'you're absolutely right, the charges are reversed. We'll keep monitoring your account for anything suspicious.'.

I only use the Amex now. :D