PDA

View Full Version : Imaging OS

i2omani
08-20-2008, 01:04 PM
i am new to this and i was hopeing if someone have a tutorial on how to image a system and restore it again!

What software you use?
What media you backup you img too

* I will also search google and if i gathered and handful of information, i will try to make my own and posted here.

Regards
Romani

JayTech
08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
I use Acronis true image, It is a very easy program to use both as creating and restoring images but also as a complete back up solution.

Please check out the link, will show you various tutorial videos from youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=acronis+image&search_type=&aq=f
Hope that helps :D
J

NYJimbo
08-20-2008, 02:20 PM
It's really a shame that after so many years Microsoft cant see that many of these tools are so important and either bundle them with the O/S or offer them as a "Power Pack". MS has the manpower to create all these things themselves and make their O/S's so much more user friendly.

solas
08-20-2008, 09:49 PM
ive used g4u - Harddisk Image Cloning for PCs www. feyrer.de/g4u/
g4u ("ghosting for unix") is a NetBSD-based bootfloppy/CD-ROM that allows easy cloning of PC harddisks to deploy a common setup on a number of PCs using FTP.
Once set up i was able to do a school dells with 10GB hd's in 6 min each. takes a while to take the image. But fairly quick to deploy after.

Crgky127
08-21-2008, 03:01 AM
I use DriveImageXML for partitions and Acronis for the whole drive (both on UBCD4Win, Acronis you have to add though).

dipper
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
I use Acronis on all drives before I start to do any major work on them.

stevenamills
08-26-2008, 02:50 AM

Just curious - do you install it, run from the boot disk or install the plugin in UBCD4Win. I tend to do the latter, as I can do some preliminary scans after the imaging.

Later.....
Steve

NYJimbo
08-26-2008, 02:56 AM

I use Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 which I bought about a year or so ago. It just clones drives using a boot cd. Very easy to use, hell you can be drunk off your ass or have major brain damage and this thing just works.

Basically you just connect both drives to the system (customers and a blank) and boot with the cd, then a colorful GUI comes up showing you a one-click copy/clone or you can do partition resizing, it has few options and then you just "go" and it clones the drive in a few minutes.

But I only do this when a drive is flakey or if the client is really antsy about the data.

dipper
09-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Just curious - do you install it, run from the boot disk or install the plugin in UBCD4Win. I tend to do the latter, as I can do some preliminary scans after the imaging.

Later.....
Steve

It depends upon what we are doing with the system.

If we are removing viruses the hard drive gets put into another system and we then do the image and scan for viruses on a totally different system. This system has Acronis loaded plus other antivirus / antimalware programs.

Otherwise we connect a USB hard drive to the system and use an Acronis boot disk.

Bullfighter
09-10-2008, 12:46 AM
If you aren't afraid of command line utilities there is always Microsoft's ImageX - it captures WIM files. The great thing about wim files is they are file based and can be mounted if you need to extract a file or two. You don't have to apply the image to get individual files.

ImageX is free and can be found in the Microsoft WAIK. Works on XP and Vista.

Just to note: Wim files have the capability to store more then one image in a wim file, but this is not supported for images that have not been syspreped...

Edit to add link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=993C567D-F12C-4676-917F-05D9DE73ADA4&displaylang=en

EP

Wheelie
09-10-2008, 03:20 AM
... hell you can be drunk off your ass or have major brain damage and this thing just works ... Basically you just connect both drives to the system ...
Now that's just funny as it gets! (wouldn't that qualify as drinking and "driving" ? http://www.blokessportbike.com/images/smilies/crackup.gif

jaross18
10-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I've had good luck with G4U, DriveXML, and Roadkil's Disk Image.

kz1000
10-05-2008, 03:25 AM
I still use Ghost 7.

If I need to do a complete OS reinstall I create a 2nd partition [D:] and move "My Documents" there.

I then image the OS [C:] Partition to DVD - just before it goes back to the customer.

If a reinstall is needed again in the future - I can then restore the OS from DVD without having to move their data.

Sometimes I get a same/close model PC - and I just use the same clean ghost.

I have a collection of images on DVD ready to go.

Tempted to try Acronis out.

pmcross
10-06-2008, 04:13 PM
I use Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost. I have a extra hard drive in my PC that I store all of the images to.