PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Desktop Case Do You Like?

RichmondTech
09-19-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm looking to build a desktop computer for some gaming and it's been forever since I've had to buy a case. Call me crazy, but when I think of computer case I tend to lean towards something inexpensive. After all, it's going to sit out of the way under a table or desk. I don't need anything with LED lights or window cutouts.

Do you find there is anything to a computer case other than a standard 8-10 bay case? What cases do you like? Something available from Amazon would be preferred since I have some gift cards I could use.

RichmondTech
09-19-2011, 12:27 AM
As an example, this is kinda what I had in mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Tower-Chassis-Computer-Case/dp/B0057YIUVK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e1

TopLevelComp
09-19-2011, 01:32 AM
I've been a fan of Coolermaster cases for years. Absolutely love them.

Rosco
09-19-2011, 02:01 AM
i usually buy rosewell. never had a problem with them and the price is right!

ATTech
09-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I've always had Lian-Li cases for my gaming machines back when I was really into it. They were slightly more expensive than the run-of-the mill ones you can find on Newegg/Amazon, but they were sleek, and better for cooling.

dgiles79
09-19-2011, 07:29 PM
I like the Antec cases (in particular, the Dark Force ones). I have the DF-35. It might be a little expensive for what you're looking for (around $100), but I like it for the built in hot swap drive bays, and fan speed controls etc.

ProTech Support
09-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Newegg just posted up a sale of some Antec gaming cases. Figured you might be interested. When I was building custom PC's, they were the only cases I used.

http://promotions.newegg.com/Antec/092611/index.html?cm_mmc=SNC-Facebook-_-na-_-na-_-na&nm_mc=SNC-Facebook

I follow them on Facebook, which is where I got the link. Might want to do that, they usually post some good deals.

RichmondTech
09-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm looking to build a desktop computer for some gaming and it's been forever since I've had to buy a case. Call me crazy, but when I think of computer case I tend to lean towards something inexpensive. After all, it's going to sit out of the way under a table or desk. I don't need anything with LED lights or window cutouts.

So I linked to a case that costs about $25 and everyone likes cases that are $50 - $150. I know I'm gonna catch some heat when I ask this but what's the difference?

The Antec link for example. I like Antec and all, but $100 - $140 for a computer case is crazy. I can get my case, a power supply, and maybe some memory for that kind of money. While I will be doing some gaming, this is not going to be a gaming rig and I'm not looking to dazzle people with my LEDs and carry it to LAN parties (do they even still do those?)

I guess another question is "do companies make $140 cases because people will pay $140 for it?" or are there significant improvements over my $25 linked case? I guess the common answer would be "you get better airflow" which I will say right now does not count as a quality answer.

ProTech Support
09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
The $25 cases are usually nice when it comes to cosmetics, but they are not very rugged. Usually they consist of plastic inner parts that tend to snap very easily. For example, early in my building days I used to order those cases, and the hard drive bays would always give me problems. Specifically the ones that the hard drive just snaps into. Too much force and the mount snaps...now you need to rig the hard drive or deem the case useless.

That being said, the $100 cases are usually all made of stronger material that do not snap or bend. Which makes me happy. :)

So I linked to a case that costs about $25 and everyone likes cases that are $50 - $150. I know I'm gonna catch some heat when I ask this but what's the difference?

The Antec link for example. I like Antec and all, but $100 - $140 for a computer case is crazy. I can get my case, a power supply, and maybe some memory for that kind of money. While I will be doing some gaming, this is not going to be a gaming rig and I'm not looking to dazzle people with my LEDs and carry it to LAN parties (do they even still do those?)

I guess another question is "do companies make $140 cases because people will pay $140 for it?" or are there significant improvements over my $25 linked case? I guess the common answer would be "you get better airflow" which I will say right now does not count as a quality answer.

16k_zx81
09-19-2011, 10:24 PM
The $25 cases are usually nice when it comes to cosmetics, but they are not very rugged.

^ what he said.

Budget cases are not worth the few dollars you save. I'd go for a mid-range brand name case: coolermaster, antec, lian-li, avoid the cheapo units as they are fine to put things into, however they dont take knocks and bumps well, and if you have to take things out and put them back in cheap cases will start to break/bend/dent/snap .... just not worth the hassle IMO

rudger
09-20-2011, 03:45 PM
I tend to base my decision on the amount that the customer is willing to pay, if they want a budget system then I get a cheap Case 20-30 if it is a business then I will spend a little more, then if it is a gaming Rig (or My own) I will not think twice about spending 60-100 on a case alone.

even the Cheap cases have come on leaps and bounds over the last 10-15 Years I remember a guy I used to work with getting blood poisoning from cutting himself on the inside of a case all because the purchasing department decided to save a few pounds by buying dodgy cases.

sassenach
09-20-2011, 06:11 PM
If you're using it for gaming, think about what is going to be in the case before you even consider what case to put it in.

Which CPU and Cooler, how many rear slots will the Graphics card/s need and how long are they, what size PSU, will it be modular, do you want it at the top or bottom of the case, are you liquid cooling, do you want tool less drive caddies, what do you want available at the front of the case etc.

When you've sussed all these out, then you know where the minimum is and can go from there.