PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of time

TechMonster
09-17-2011, 10:10 PM
First off I bill by the hour. I am wanting to know how everyone keeps track of there time working on projects? To explain a little more how do you mark your start and stop times so keep your time straight and don't short yourself or the customer. Do you have a process of using a stopwatch? Write your start/stop times down? I just worked for about 2-3hours and not sure the exact time.

Thanks
Travis

RichmondTech
09-17-2011, 10:41 PM
I use a stopwatch program on my Android phone. Easy peasy.

TopLevelComp
09-17-2011, 11:52 PM
For onsite stuff, I use Time Recording.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dynamicg.timerecording&feature=search_result

Able to set it up to an hourly rate, and gives it to you right on the spot.

cprompt
09-17-2011, 11:58 PM
I've played around with Time Recording, but I also came across Freshbooks. In addition to everything else I do, I've also contracted with a textbook publisher to write quizzes and tests, and they pay me by the hour. Using Freshbooks, either on the phone or online (the phone app will easily sync to your online account), I found that I can sit down for 20 minutes here to do some work, and then 30 minutes later on, and simply start and stop the timer on the phone (or the website). The time is then tabulated and I can create reports and even send out invoices.

I'm certainly no expert on it yet, but it might do exactly what you want. You can get more info on their site - www.freshbooks.com.

TechMonster
09-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the replies. Never thought about an app on my android. I am trying Time Recording - Timesheet App. I like how I can add Clients and just pick who I did work for.
Thanks
Travis

angry_geek
09-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Check out togl. It's a great time tracker with an Android app.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

edit: toggl

kevinjhaag
09-18-2011, 03:55 PM
I use Kitchen Timers in the shop... But when I'm onsite we bill for every minute we are their so we don't use a timer. We just use a regular watch/clock to keep track of time spent. The kitchen timer we have can count up or down. And they are so easy to use because their is no getting on a computer to access software. All we do is hit a button to start when we are at the computer and hit the same button to stop just before I walk away from the computer. I found that using software was just taking more time to do. Well thats my 2cents. Have a good day and take care.

Kevin

TopLevelComp
09-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I've played around with Time Recording, but I also came across Freshbooks. In addition to everything else I do, I've also contracted with a textbook publisher to write quizzes and tests, and they pay me by the hour. Using Freshbooks, either on the phone or online (the phone app will easily sync to your online account), I found that I can sit down for 20 minutes here to do some work, and then 30 minutes later on, and simply start and stop the timer on the phone (or the website). The time is then tabulated and I can create reports and even send out invoices.

I'm certainly no expert on it yet, but it might do exactly what you want. You can get more info on their site - www.freshbooks.com.

Wow, thank you for FreshBooks. This is a beautiful application.

tobey
09-18-2011, 08:10 PM
www.freshbooks.com.

I love this! Exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks!

TechMonster
09-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Some really good options.

kevinjhaag: I agree software is more time consuming.

Thanks Guys
Travis

supporter
09-28-2011, 02:34 AM

Is there an Android phone time tracking app from freshbooks that syncs with the online freshbooks? Or, is it a 3rd party app. I couldn't find anything about phone apps on their website.

cprompt
09-28-2011, 02:46 AM
I downloaded TimeDroid from the Android market. There is both a free version and a paid version that syncs with the freshbooks website.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk