PDA

View Full Version : server 2003 folder redirection

4ycr
09-15-2011, 07:24 PM
I am having trouble with a client running Xp pro SP3. His my document are redirected but all the files show as being offline.

His user profile has his profile path as \\server\user\%username%

His documents are redirected to the same location.

When I started to look at this the user permissions looked funny so I backup his files and then renamed his profile folder so it would be forced to recreate it when he logged back in.

This worked and his folder was recreated, all his desktop files were pushed to the server but then I went to get his my documents, I copy/pasted into his my documents folder from the backup and all of them got the offline folder icon. I tried manual synchronisation but it says all files are up to date but if you go into the offline files all of his files show up.

I have verified that his desktop has been redirected but I cannot got his my documents to do the same.

There are another 30 employees and this does not affect them but one thing I did notice was when using his computer to check permissions it always displays his SID for 20 seconds before it changes to his username.

Also the shared user folder has offline files turned off and his complain before I started to look into this was a long log off time.

I was not the one who set this up so any suggestions on where else to look would be great.

NETWizz
09-15-2011, 09:21 PM
You might want to disable offline files if you want to make sync manual...

Have you checked his "Effective Permissions?"

Also, have you looked into gpresult & rsop.msc to verify the GPO is applying properly to the workstation? Is the workstation up-to-date with the most recent Service Pack & Windows Updates?

4ycr
09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks, I will be going out later and will check these.

Paul Rodgers
09-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Back up the data/copy the profile and delete the profile and set a new one up.

Document all of the permissions first.

NETWizz
09-17-2011, 01:00 AM
The Server, Group Policy, and the Workstation all work together to automatically create the folder and set the permissions.

I have never seen it be a problem.

4ycr
09-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I have not been out yet as been away. what I found strange was that some folders like desktop were created fine it was just his my documents that didn't.

I will try a few things when he gets back.

wimwauters
09-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Probably corruption in the local file cache. Microsoft has reset procedures for this on technet.