PDA

View Full Version : Website on SBS2011

AlbuquerqueCSA
09-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Okay nibblers.... I have another weird problem I just cant seem to figure out.

Client has a website, hosted on SBS2011. They are hosting there own DNS, when you enter the www.domain.com.... it goes strait to the website not problems.... however if you do not enter the www. you go to the mail.domain record.

how to I make it so that the default site when you dont enter www. goes to the www. record and not the mail record?

teksquad
09-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Sounds like the default record for that zone points to mail.domain. You can add another A record under that zone with a wildcard * pointing to the web server. That will make it so anything *.domain.com will default to the web server. Check out the entry in dns for mail.domain and see how that is configured as it may be using the * already.

Also take a look in IIS and see if there is a host header for domain.com if not add it. I would assume there is one for www.domain.com there.

ProTech Support
09-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Basically what he said. Best practice is to make sure you have three A records on the DNS server:

1) domain.com >>> IIS server for website
2) www.domain.com >>> IIS server for website
3) *.domain.com >>> IIS server for website

teksquad
09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
After you make the changes in DNS, I would then clear the cache on the DNS server and also on the clients.