PDA

View Full Version : Working with Nonprofits

livpie
09-10-2011, 07:24 AM
I just started working with a new nonprofit and they introduced me to techsoup.org. The website provides software, hardware, etc. as fantastic prices for non-profit organizations. Hopefully you will be able to help out some of your clients by introducing them to this site.

Best to all,
Tom

Thedog
09-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Great idea, to bad im not in US! Can anyone give me a greencard and I might move? :D

livpie
09-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I could probably work to get you a green card but when you got here you would probably find out that people who have a green card are not eligible for any type of non-profit status. :)

Thedog
09-10-2011, 01:29 PM
I could probably work to get you a green card but when you got here you would probably find out that people who have a green card are not eligible for any type of non-profit status. :)

Nah, It wasn't that I wanted to do some non-profit stuff I Just think that so much more things such as this site exists in the US and my country got nothing... so just want to work in US overall lol :)

Xander
09-10-2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.techsoupcanada.ca/
I've signed up but that's it so far.

I'm waiting to hear back from the non-profit my wife works at to see if they have any budget at all. They've got a 25-seat computer lab for kids and, from what I can see, nothing in place at all for security, maintenance, anything; just 25 donated laptops on a wifi router. I'd like to pitch them a proper setup, some regular maintenance, and get an image done for backup but, if they have zero budget, I can't afford that much time.

FoolishTech
09-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I just started working with a new nonprofit and they introduced me to techsoup.org. The website provides software, hardware, etc. as fantastic prices for non-profit organizations. Hopefully you will be able to help out some of your clients by introducing them to this site.

Best to all,
Tom

Something your non-profit clients should know about Techsoup:

Say you need 10 copies of MS Office, great. However, you can only make the purchase ONCE A YEAR.

So if they plan to expand and you will need more copies of MS Office before a year is up, you'd better plan ahead for that and order all you *think* you are going to need.

Discovered that the hard way when my main N-P client needed to expand. We ended up having to pay quite a bit more to get them from TechData's non-profit program when Techsoup told us we couldn't order any more until next year!

So just remember, order more than your client will think they need. Even a strapped for cash non-profit shouldn't care if you got a few extra copies, as incredibly cheap as they are!!! They will thank you for it later.

Xander
09-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Excellent point, Nick.

Also worth knowing that you can create separate accounts for each non-profit you represent.

CarrobesIT
09-10-2011, 06:32 PM
However, you can only make the purchase ONCE A YEAR.

Nope, the rules have changed - TechSoup Blog - MS Changes (http://tinyurl.com/435lhbe)

You can now order as many times as you like during the year, you no longer have a 5 license minimum ( so no more buying the cheapest CALs just to make up the extras) and the maximum title groups has been increased from 6 to 10.

Along with this, if you have already purchased MS software from TechSoup, your two-year cycle has been reset so it starts again on the date of your next purchase.

For those of you in the UK, the MS, Symantec & Cisco donation programs are run through the Charities Technology Exchange (http://www.ctxchange.org) but the rules remain the same as for TechSoup.

Hope that helps. :)

RobC.
Carrobes IT.

FoolishTech
09-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Wow, thanks for the info! That's great to know. My N-P might want to expand again soon and that will help a lot!