PDA

View Full Version : Small Bus server 2008 1 pc or 2?

Tony_Scarpelli
09-09-2011, 03:58 AM
I am wondering what is the best practice for implementing a SBS server 2008? With under 10 workstations would you still want to segregate any of the servers from the single equipment model?

I heard that the license now allows you to migrate some of the servers into a 2 server domain (where originally you can only put all of it on one hardware server).

I am wondering what limitations you might have if you had the DC, File server, exchange server, SQL server, Terminal Server, Web-server, proxy all on the same equipment rather than migrating the exchange or SQL servers?

What have you guys done? In different situations.

EnigmaTech
09-09-2011, 05:17 AM
Obviously there are no hard and fast rules. For under 10 workstations, everything can easily run on the 1 server EXCEPT Terminal Services, which cannot run on the same server as the other SBS components.

So pretty much if they need to use Terminal Services, they need to get seperate hardware. If you purchase a SBS Premium license, it includes a 2nd server license that you can stick TS onto.

We have many clients running SBS 2008 off a single server (with Exchange and SQL) some with up to 30 seats, with no probs at all.

Small Business Computer Service (http://www.enigmatechnologies.com.au)

krtechsolutions
09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
i am going to add on to EnigmaTech's answer

I will have to agree, i mean you could have 60 users that barely use the server or you could have 15 users that kill the server, its all going to be based off of work load, you can start with 1 server and grow to 2 servers

however with sbs2008 and sbs2011 the sql server is part of the premium package and once you purchase the premium package you have higher price cals but you are given a windows 2008 server license and a sql standard server license, so i guess in theory microsoft recommends you but the sql server on the 2nd server.

if you run it all on a single server except to have at least 12 to 16gb of memory in the server

Tony_Scarpelli
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks for your answers. With Due 2 Quad servers available I would suspect that hard drives are the source of bottle neck and there is plenty of cpu cycles and memory to run everything else.

I setup 2000 SBS with sql/exchange/dc and the works on 1 gig systems with 2 gig of memory, and 4 scsi 160 drives.

I have built some high powered, high priced scsi raids and I am not convinced that raids are significantly faster nor significantly more through put than stand alone drives.

We used to put the NOS on one drive and everything else on a raid. If the client didn't want raid we'd put several small drives and seperate the OS/Swap file/exchange on three drives. Or we'd have 2 solo drives plus a raid for data.

With this in mind would you think that putting Exchange /dc on one drive and every thing else on another drive. Probably SATA. I know we can get 15k scsi or other fast HD drives but I am unconvinced of their value/use in small office environments.

What are your opinions on drive configurations?

Lets assume 10 workstations or less, doctors or lawyers office with typical use (not paperless office;no voice/IP)

krtechsolutions
09-09-2011, 03:52 PM
for setups like that i would just go with a 10k sata drive and be done with it, its not like your going to have high i/o

of course make sure you raid the drives