PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: Human Revolution on Xbox 360 or PC?

RichmondTech
09-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Loved the first Deus Ex, so I'm gonna snag a good deal from Amazon. On one hand I've never been any good at FPS games on consoles. On the other hand my only computer is my HP dv4 (AMD Turion 2 dual-core @ 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, ATi Radeon HD 4200). The most recent game I have on it that works fine is Team Fortress 2.

What do you think? Either way, I'm sure it's going to be an enjoyable 30 hours.

16k_zx81
09-05-2011, 12:08 AM
I dont get why anyone would ever play an FPS game on a console if there's a capable PC nearby. Unless you can plug a mouse into it, its not going to be as fun.

Just my 5c

RichmondTech
09-05-2011, 02:20 AM
I hear that. My main concern with console FPS games center around aiming fast enough, but if the Halo and BF3 people can get it I don't see why I couldn't.

16k_zx81
09-05-2011, 05:03 AM
I hear that. My main concern with console FPS games center around aiming fast enough, but if the Halo and BF3 people can get it I don't see why I couldn't.

Its because they are freaks of nature who should be feared and despised for their bizarre and unnatural habits. I fear that if you are recruited into their cult you may never return.

Your aspiration is, frankly, disturbing to me....

RichmondTech
09-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Went ahead with the PC version today. Installed fine and ran smooth until you get to where you actually start playing. I knew I should have gone with the console version. I don't see why designers spend so many resources on graphics effects that bog down a computer.

Methical
09-06-2011, 02:37 AM
I was debating the same thing when I decided to jump on the band-wagon, and purchase Black Ops ..

Watching Youtube, clips, I don't know how ppl can be so fast, and accurate on a gamepad with their aiming. Freaks of nature is right lol.

So I went PC version; and went all out and bought a new kb, mouse, headset and mousepad from Razer. It really does make a difference having the new gear; its tripled my KDR :D

Fixedathome.com
09-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Went ahead with the PC version today. Installed fine and ran smooth until you get to where you actually start playing. I knew I should have gone with the console version. I don't see why designers spend so many resources on graphics effects that bog down a computer.

A laptop is never going to cut it for playing the latest games unless it is a dedicated (and usually expensive) gaming laptop.

16k_zx81
09-06-2011, 09:08 AM
A laptop is never going to cut it for playing the latest games unless it is a dedicated (and usually expensive) gaming laptop.

"gaming laptop" is an oxymoron

MrUnknown
09-06-2011, 09:40 AM

Because it makes them look nice.

Console games make heavy use of aim assist.

Anyway, I am about halfway through on the console version. Plays perfectly fine but I am used to FPS on a console now (used to be only a PC gamer). It does take a while getting used to, but it is perfectly possible and fairly easy once you get used to it.

However, a game pad is no replacement for a mouse and keyboard. I will be building a gaming PC as a Christmas gift to myself. At least I am hoping for it. Simply for Battlefield 3.

ptrinh1979
09-07-2011, 07:48 AM
RichmondTech,

I actually went and purchased the PC version of DX:HR on PC via Steam when it came out. Like you I was a fan of the original Deus Ex. I was actually torn between the two - the PC version, I heard had been given the TLC that a PC game deserves, unlike some of the recent triple A game titles released within the last couple of years. At the same time, the Xbox 360 version was appealing because I could relax in a comfortable chair and play it on a large screen.

I think you can get some more performance out of it if you tweak some of the sittings a bit. Lower the resolution a notch or two, and set the details to medium to start out, maybe turn off some of the nicer effects. Because it is a single player game, I am expecting lower frames per second than many other gamers - 30fps is enough for me.

There is definitely replay value here, as well as a good amount of side quests - much more than 30 hours that you are expecting. According to Steam, I have put in 31 hours so far since I purchased it on Aug 23rd; and I am only in the second city.

I hope you are able to enjoy the game, if you haven't already.

ZenTree
09-07-2011, 08:10 AM

I had the exact same problem, no matter the settings I put it on (QuadCore, 6 gig RAM, 9800GTX+). Update your graphics card drivers and direct X, I can now run on high settings easily :)

frase
09-07-2011, 11:30 AM
lol @ everyone complaining about deus ex HR not running smooth, get a decent rig!

RichmondTech
09-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I guess the main point I'm making is that for years computing has been trending towards mobility, first with laptops, now with smartphones and tablets. Yet PC gaming still requires you to have a desktop with a monster video card (excluding $2000 "gaming" laptops).

I think Angry Birds has great graphics and has sold a ton of copies. There are lots of other Android and iOS games out there with great graphics. Don't know why PC gaming needs to be so intense just to produce some shader or bloom effect that 99% of the users wouldn't even notice if it wasn't there.

Loved the first Deus Ex which made me buy my first PC game in 10 years, but "getting a decent rig" is not gonna happen just for this one game. Guess I'll just go back to mobile gaming.