PDA

View Full Version : Vpn 101

stevenamills
08-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I did a search for VPN and struck out.

I'm certainly not a pro here. Ive set up a few and used a DLink VPN router such as the DIR-330. It's been OK.

Just wonder if any of the poobahs here have other ideas.

Thanks for your time.....
Steve

TimeCode
08-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Steven,

What are you really asking? How to do set up a VPN? Where to learn more about it? What do other TechNibblers use for their VPN setups?

If you could give more details about what you want, we can assist you more easily.

mh348
08-14-2008, 07:16 PM
I have a LinkSys WRT54GL Router with DD-WRT firmware, it can act as both a VPN Server and Client. It's quite easy to setup a VPN using this Router.

Today I ordered a RouterBoard RB133c, it also has vpn functionality. When I receive it I'm gonna try setting it up, its a bit different from other routers but seems to have some nice features.

TimeCode
08-15-2008, 06:32 AM
My typical VPN setup is a NetGear VPN pass-through router and Windows Small Business Server 2003.

On the server I create a VPN connection under the Networking control panel. I create as many users need the VPN connection (usually not many since people love RWW) and then setup the user's PC a with VPN connection under the Networking control panel.

Maybe that'll help...

tartis
08-15-2008, 05:59 PM
My typical VPN setup is a NetGear VPN pass-through router and Windows Small Business Server 2003.

On the server I create a VPN connection under the Networking control panel. I create as many users need the VPN connection (usually not many since people love RWW) and then setup the user's PC a with VPN connection under the Networking control panel.

Maybe that'll help...

Which Netgear router have you been installing?

ootuoyetahi
08-15-2008, 08:44 PM
I recommend http://openvpn.net/. Its secure, pretty easy to set up, and free.

seedubya
08-15-2008, 08:48 PM
To repeat what TimeCode said, the question's kinda general. Could you elaborate?

stevenamills
08-16-2008, 04:23 PM
To repeat what TimeCode said, the question's kinda general. Could you elaborate?

You're right, but my needs are vague.

In general, I'm looking for a stable, reasonable cost, low maintenance way to allow several people periodic access to their office computer or server.

Many use Quickbooks, so I can consider working directly on the office computer or map the data drive to the local computer and run Quickbooks locally.

I'm working with OpenVPN today, per the suggestion above, and am anxious to see how it goes. Documentation is somewhat oblique, as far as I'm concerned, but it doesn't look too difficult. (Opinion - I wish the Open Source people would see the merit in describing a few simple examples, rather than reading like a Cisco manual!).

Hamachi (LogMeIN) seems to run very nicely, but has 2 drawbacks:

1. It depends on the intermediary being alive and active. (I've been on the Internet from the beginning and I've seen too many things disappear and die. This is my total aversion to web services).

2. They have a free and a paid version this leads to no good - invariably. Also, the paid version is a subscription - something I also resist.

This is where I am - thanks for the input.

Steve
www.foxvalleycomputerservices.com

seedubya
08-21-2008, 02:31 PM
In my experience almost every VPN situation is slightly different. What you're going to use will be determined by what the customer want's to achieve, how many simultaneous users there will be, bandwidth, what hardware and software is already available on site, what software are the clients running, client bandwidth etc. etc.

That being said, I've almost never had to go beyond the built-in Windows XP client for connections and either SBS or a good router for termination at the office end. The most simultaneous users I have had is 6. Almost all of my business customers would be running VPNs for road warriors, home workers and out of hours.

tauzin23
08-22-2008, 07:12 PM
You might want to check this out. Logmein.com has a software that called Hamachi and there is a free version too! I have this software installed for a few business clients and it works great and it's super easy to setup also!

Check it out here:
https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

mh348
08-22-2008, 07:23 PM
You might want to check this out. Logmein.com has a software that called Hamachi and there is a free version too! I have this software installed for a few business clients and it works great and it's super easy to setup also!

Check it out here:
https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

Hamachi is no longer Free for Commercial use, so you'll have to start paying. Also why use Hamachi, when its so easy to setup a vpn, use dndns and forward the require ports.

Heres what I got of another forum:
Hamachi free version says License expired!
For those useing Hamachi free version for your VPN/dynamic DNS, (like you have to do with Vsat)...and now today it suddenly says it has "expired"

https://forums.hamachi.cc/viewtopic.php?t=18607
(https - may need to be added to trusted sites in IE7)

Quote:
We’d like to clear up some of the confusion surrounding our latest Hamachi update.

With the update (version 1.0.3.0) that was released on August 18, 2008, we have implemented a new licensing model that has less differentiation between the features of paid and free licenses. As described here - https://secure.logmein.com/products/.../licensing.asp - we now require that those who fall under the Commercial category to be paid users. Non-commercial users may continue to use Hamachi’s free version.

When we say “less differentiation between the features…” we are referring to the features described here - https://secure.logmein.com/products/...advantages.asp - this explains the features available in both Commercial and Non-Commercial versions. As you will see in the “Features” page, “High-Bandwidth Relay” is still only available with a paid license, however, features such as “Run Hamachi as a System Service” are now available on both Paid (Commercial) and Free (Non-Commercial) licensed clients.

With the update, users who had a Basic (Free) license receive a message stating that their Premium license has expired. This does not mean that you need to purchase, but simply update to the latest version of Hamachi (version 1.0.3.0) and continue using Hamachi under a Non-Commercial license. Also, users who had a Premium (Paid) license will be prompted to update to the latest version, and upon upgrading, will receive a Commercial license automatically through the upgrade.

This doesn’t apply to the OSX or Linux versions yet, since they can’t support the new model (but will still remain functional of course).

Versions older than 1.0.2.3 will cease to function in the future.

stevenamills
08-22-2008, 11:11 PM

Thanks! I've actually been looking at that - surprised at the speed - very good.

Is there any disadvantage to a pure software solution, except that you depend on the integrity of the intermediary? I can't seem to find any.

Also, are you using the free or pay version. I like the local printing of the pay version, but dislike annual fees.

Thanks.....
Steve

tauzin23
08-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks! I've actually been looking at that - surprised at the speed - very good.

Is there any disadvantage to a pure software solution, except that you depend on the integrity of the intermediary? I can't seem to find any.

Also, are you using the free or pay version. I like the local printing of the pay version, but dislike annual fees.

Thanks.....
Steve

Hi Steven. Yes I am using the Free version and it works great. I am getting the warning that my premium license has expired though, but still functions properly. The program does work very well and sets up all the ports and configuration for you and would IMHO be worth paying for.

techoftheday
08-27-2008, 01:55 PM
LogMeIn Rescue is a good service, but too pricey for a small business like mine. I'm currenly using Techinline (techinline.com) which is a few times cheaper and is pretty much the same concept. I like their branding features and the ease of use