PDA

View Full Version : Vista Defragment

bnrr
08-13-2008, 10:19 AM
I would like to know if there is any way that I could view or make vista show details of disk defragment in progress. whenever I use disk defragment, there are no options as to view progress, or what exactly is going on, and when it is done, I have doubts if any has been done or did it really did the job.

acs
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I always use defraggler which has a visual display , is fast and configurable.
xxx.defraggler.com/

schwags
08-13-2008, 10:11 PM
I know you can get those details if you run the command line version, but not through the GUI. For that use a third party defragger. Maximum PC ran a review in the last few months comparing vista defraggers with mixed results. here is the link (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/the_disk_defrag_difference)

gunslinger
08-14-2008, 05:37 AM
I second defraggler, I also like JKDfrag. If you don't mind paying for a program the best I know of is Diskeeper.

DiskeeperRep
08-15-2008, 07:01 AM
I would like to know if there is any way that I could view or make vista show details of disk defragment in progress. whenever I use disk defragment, there are no options as to view progress, or what exactly is going on, and when it is done, I have doubts if any has been done or did it really did the job.

There is no GUI/drive map in the native Vista defragger to display defrag progress. You can however use run defrag from the command prompt to get a text output of analysis, as the poster above suggested. (You'll need to access cmd as an admin)

Also, just FYI for defragging Vista volumes (of formatted cluster size less than 16KB) that have the shadow copy service running, it's advisable to defrag in the VSS-compatible defrag mode of the third party defragger that you are using. It will minimize file movement (and unfortunately, the quality of the defrag too, to an extent) but try to preserve older shadow copies that may otherwise be purged due to creation of new ones.

Best regards:)

---------------------------
Representative
Diskeeper Corporation
-----------------------------