PDA

View Full Version : need advice on server upgrade

4ycr
08-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I need advice to see if I can install a SATA pci card into a Compaq ProLiant ML570 G2 Server

A customer needs more space and a new ultra160 hard drive on Ebay is about 300 for 146Gb. I tried all my normal suppliers but they don't stock any scsi hard drives now.

As you can see it will be much cheaper and better performance if I can use a SATA hard drive but as I have not done it before I thought I would ask first.

seedubya
08-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Can't see any reason why not. What OS?

4ycr
08-26-2011, 09:57 PM
sorry forgot to say.

Server 2003 standard

DCGPX
08-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Dont see why not either. End of day its simply a way to add drives, OS wont see it any different.

Not same but I put a SATA PCI into a WHS system and added two SATAs and it went fine and works Ok.

As its based on 2003 no reason it wont for your scenario.

4ycr
08-27-2011, 04:51 PM
just an update,

The BIOS picked it up no problem but now it will not boot from it's original SCSI hard drives no matter which order I put them in, in the BIOS. It always looked at the new SATA hard drive and as it was blank it assumes no OS was installed.

I ran out of time as the guy that let me in was in a rush so hoping to go back out tomorrow to investigate.

PR Tech
08-27-2011, 05:25 PM
We have a very similar issue on a job we are working on. Thanks for the updates. I will post results back here as well.

silvano
08-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Might need to install a bootloader on the SATA drive and point it towards the scsi.

wimwauters
08-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Doublecheck the list of 'hard disks' in the BIOS boot order and listing.

Also, you may have to tell the SATA card to work as RAID/JBOD and tell it to present itself to the BIOS as a bootable/interuptXY device.

4ycr
08-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the replies I will try them at the weekend when I can get access again.

The HP had 2 sections for booting up, the first was by dvice i.e dvd, floppy, hard drive & network. The second part was hard drive order, I put the new SATA card as last but it made no difference. I will try the other options when I get the chance.

MobileTechie
08-29-2011, 06:27 PM
It's worth bearing in mind why servers have SCSI drives - they are like 10x more reliable than ATA/SATA. So whatever you do, make sure it's RAIDed.

wimwauters
08-30-2011, 09:13 AM
It's worth bearing in mind why servers have SCSI drives - they are like 10x more reliable than ATA/SATA. So whatever you do, make sure it's RAIDed.

Yes, 4ycr is an experienced tech, but for you'all out there: ordinary SATA hard disks are no longer designed to run 24/7. This is partly why external hard disks are so cheap. This also explains why external hard disks have that annoying spin down feature, aka 'power saving'.

So when buying hard disks these days, you have to buy 'enterprise' or 'server' ones if you want to run them 24/7 or want better reliability for your customer.

EDIT: to clarify: I'm on about enterprise/server or 'high duty-cycle' versions of SATA hard disks, not SCSI.

AFAIK, in this day and age, you would only use SCSI for extremely fast small-packet random write scenarios, as in SQL databases. Everything else can be handled with RAID and SATA or SDD drives.

4ycr
08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Unfortunately I am restricted by budget given to me. A Sata hard drive and PCI raid card comes in at just over 100 an new SCSI hard drive comes in at over 300 and that was from Ebay.

My client is expanding rapidly and he got the server about 3/4 months ago, before I was involved. When he got it there were 2 directors and about 10/15 staff. When after the 5th of September there will be close to 100 staff over 2 shifts. I have already told him he needs to upgrade but he can't just now.

MobileGeeks
09-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Thats true but you will get more disk space. I suggest he runs with ES rated SATA drives, they also tend run faster as well.

Go RAID 1 or 5

4ycr
09-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Finally got access to his server yesterday as no one was working.

I moved the original SCSI card from the slot 7 (last one) to slot 6 and then moved the SATA card to slot 7. I was able to boot from the SCSI hard drives, so it looks like the card order was important.

Everything is raided but the SCSI is raid 0 so it is backed up regularly.

I hope this helps someone. It has just been spread out trying to get access to power down his server.