PDA

View Full Version : Terabite HardDrives

Netman
07-16-2006, 06:09 PM
What do you guys think about these?
Would you ever get one?
I dont think i would get one becasue I could never fill up that much space the most that I think I would ever get or need is about 250GB.

For those that did not know a Terabite is 1000GB

Arden
07-16-2006, 11:08 PM
I probably won't get one because it takes such a long time to backup, and I'm always so scared that all my hard work gets lots because of 1 HD crash.

Bryce W
07-17-2006, 01:13 AM
I once had the chance to get 4 terabytes of space for free. However, there were conditions.
1. I had to take them all
2. These were massive racks the size of fridges with 4gig harddrives in it and the power consumtion was crazy.

I had to decline, but it makes a good story to tell :)

As for having a 1T harddrive, I probably wouldnt have one (for now anyway) for similar reasons that Arden mentioned. You should never rely on a harddrive to hold 1T of your data without DVD Backups of whats on it.

ebittner
07-18-2006, 11:05 AM
I think that there is not point to have one becasue it would be putting all of your eggs in one basket which is to risky.

MrMille
05-17-2007, 02:09 PM
You need two 1TB drives :)
and a lot of money to pay for the remote online recovery business continuity strategy.

tkrabec
05-17-2007, 04:01 PM
I'll probably get a few. When the price is right I'll get probably 4. possibly 5 and set up a nice raid 10 (with a hot spare if I go with 5) for video editing. also to better back up the gigs of photos my wife has. I've got dual 320's now for the video editing and we're down to 50gb free, and that's after I off-lined a bunch of projects to a single drive backup. I need to get them out to my web servers, in a nice encrypted backup.

gunslinger
07-19-2007, 11:07 PM
I agree You need two 1TB drives, one for all your stuff and another exact copy just in case. As for not filling one up, thats funny, i remember saying the same thing when i went from a 4 gig hd to a 60 gig drive. I now have a 320 gig , 250 gig, 2X80 gig drives and 2X60 gig drives, and very little free space left. In about 5 years your typical wal-mart computer will come with 2 tb of hard drive space.

greggh
07-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Yeah gunslinger, me and my roomate have 3TB raid-5 in our fileserver and I just had to go prune it. We were down to about 300megs free.

Blues
07-20-2007, 08:02 AM
My work has a new server which can be expanded but currently has 2TB and we have a 2nd back up unit with as much or more space. They use a gigabit ethernet for the backup software to transfer the data over on and tape drive back up system in addition. We are only using about 500GB right now on the main box.