PDA

View Full Version : Email on Server

pcman2010
08-19-2011, 02:21 AM
My client is requesting to now have their healthcare scheduling application now have the ability to send email to clients to remind them about their appointment. It seems that the application needs to have a MAPI approved email client in order to send. Asking him to purchase Exchange isn't an option. Right now it's multi-site with users terminal serving in. My thought was to have it send only and block incoming email to the server. Then the admin could check the messages in the front. I explained the huge risk of an email client on the server, that all it could take is just 1 email from a compromised email and for someone in the office to open it.

Thoughts?

AdamP
08-19-2011, 04:13 AM
maybe google apps sync? works similarly to exchange, with sync i believe it has mapi support. might be worth looking into.

krtechsolutions
08-19-2011, 02:38 PM
The Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) is a proprietary email protocol of Microsoft, that can be used by Outlook (Microsoft's email client software) to communicate with Microsoft Exchange (its email server software). It provides somewhat more functionality than an IMAP protocol; unfortunately, as a proprietary protocol, it works only for Outlook-Exchange interactions.

Are you sure its not IMAP they are looking for, I can't see a software trying to lock you down to using exchange

rich

pceinc
08-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Why not use the SMTP server of the client's ISP? Could you use the virtual SMTP server in IIS?

e2346437
08-20-2011, 01:24 AM
The Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) is a proprietary email protocol of Microsoft, that can be used by Outlook (Microsoft's email client software) to communicate with Microsoft Exchange (its email server software). It provides somewhat more functionality than an IMAP protocol; unfortunately, as a proprietary protocol, it works only for Outlook-Exchange interactions.

Are you sure its not IMAP they are looking for, I can't see a software trying to lock you down to using exchange

rich

This is not quite correct. MAPI allows a client program to become email-enabled, i.e. it can call upon a MAPI-compliant email program to send email on it's behalf. Outlook-to-Exchange communication actually takes place using MAPI/RPC.

In other words, just install Microsoft Outlook on the machine, make it the default email program, and configure it for a POP3 account. It doesn't need to be an Exchange account to work.

Eric

MobileGeeks
09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I would go Google Apps, its safe and making small exchange systems redundent.

I price is so cheap as well and easy to setup.