PDA

View Full Version : meeting with other business owners

osho741
08-15-2011, 01:01 AM
One of my respones to my ad I posted on fb resulted in a local reality company owner asking if I wanted to join a meeting with other businesses about referrals and said a lot of small businesses could use a pc tech. So I will be going to this meeting on Wednesday. This is new ground for me as my business is fairly new. What kinds of things should I bring to this meeting and what should I do in preparation?

tminer
08-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Dress appropriate and probably wouldnt bring anything other than a handfull of business cards. Im asumming by the sound of it, that this is a business networking group that either meets for breakfast or lunch every wednesday. If so they usually cost a few hundred dollars to join but can be well worth it. Im in a group of about 23 members (no competing business types) and have easily made my money back the first month or so. I've been in for about 4 months and keep getting more new clients as others hear of my good work.

smmirza
08-15-2011, 01:26 AM
I would expect it to be a round table sort of thing where different professionals sit down and pass leads. I went to a couple last week and they were great. Everyone gets a chance to give their 30 second speel and they also pass out leads for you to follow up on. I would definitely take a stack of business cards and practise your advert.

RichmondTech
08-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Take a look here. http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28505

There is some good info there and I have a sample script that you're more than welcome to use. Have fun!

osho741
08-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Well its a private group she didn't say anything about a fee yet so I dunno. Thanks for the thread thread and take a look at the script.

kaiser715
08-15-2011, 02:05 AM
I used to belong to a group. Most members were small sole-props or similar business...many had only 1 or 2 pc's in the office, just not the type of work I was after. I dropped out several years ago.

If you are doing residential and very small business service, it's probably well worth your time for meeting folks and getting referrals.

Dues for the group I was in were only about $50 per year, no upfront 'initiation' fee or such.

16k_zx81
08-15-2011, 02:22 AM
Just take along yourself, a sprinkling of charm, and a few amusing business anecdotes (you know, the ones that people will find interesting AND say something about your personal business qualities).

Actually, this reminds me of the media training politicians do, and I think the idea has really useful application here. Basically what theyare trained to do, is to turn any conversation into an opportunity to get their particular message across on a specific issue.

Lets say there are three points about your business you need everyone there to know. Your objective in the meet and greet is to find ways to wiggle these into the conversation with each person, or en masse if there is a public speaking opportunity. Once thats done, mission accomplished. In amongst this, of course, are all the social niceities, but the idea is to be pointed in what you're there for and what you need people to know about you that will make them reach out or mention you to others when they need computer services. Thats your message and your goal is to get that out to everyone there.

Good on you for getting in and having a go. This is bound to lead to something interesting, im sure :)

osho741
08-15-2011, 02:24 AM
Yeah I'm doing residential right now but want to break into very small businesses to start. She did say it was not a bni group. So as long as the dues aren't super expensive ill get inon it as I don't have a lot of money to spend on it right now. Hence, posting on craigs list and fb as they are free.

osho741
08-18-2011, 04:29 AM
well went to the meeting today. i guess the group just formed but they will want a yearly due of 100 dollars. 100 bucks doesn't sound like much but im not really generating much work right now, as i've gotten only one job in the last week or so. So now i have to decide if the 100 will be worth it for the potential referrals it could generate. ill be pretty disappointed if it does not generate anything and im out a 100 lol.