PDA

View Full Version : Manual filing of invoices

DanF
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Never had any issues, but I felt like discussing this to see if I'm missing something, or maybe it can be done better.

I currently file invoices from my supplier (sometimes from retail stores) in a simple file by date. I do not save any information about these invoices digitally. All I do is keep a simple inventory in a spreadsheet, with these details:

brand, model, price I got it for, date of purchase, invoice number, and months of warranty.

Since my clients database is increasing, I am getting more and more invoices to file. Obviously the disadvantage is that you can't easily search for an invoice manually, just in case you have to RMA a device.

- Do you somewhat link the manual devices to a digital source?

- Lately I had to RMA a power supply. I could easily find the original invoice since I knew approximately the date I got it from the supplier. They didn't even requested the invoice, although I gave them the number. What if I had bought this item multiple times (separate invoices)? How do I know if it's still covered by the supplier's warranty? (since you I don't always sell the items immediately). Do you store any bar codes?

- How do you identify devices sold to clients? Do you list down the item's bar code on the client's invoice (obviously unique, not just the model number)?

I'm not asking because I'm having issues, again, it's something I thought of. Sometimes it helps thinking about bad things that could happen.

K007
08-10-2011, 10:50 AM
- How do you identify devices sold to clients? Do you list down the item's bar code on the client's invoice (obviously unique, not just the model number)?

Sold or used as replacement by serial number.
Most of them have the serial number barcoded.
Serial number goes on the invoice.

atlanticjim
08-10-2011, 11:34 AM
I use QuickBooks which allows me to tie individual purchases to my repair records and invoices. I also scan the purchase invoices into quickbooks.
In this way, if I have to find a purchase invoice for an item I used in a repair, I just find the repair invoice, click on the associated part used, pull up that item purchase and then print out a pdf copy of the original purchase invoice.

Tony_Scarpelli
08-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Never had any issues, but I felt like discussing this to see if I'm missing something, or maybe it can be done better.

I currently file invoices from my supplier (sometimes from retail stores) in a simple file by date. I do not save any information about these invoices digitally. All I do is keep a simple inventory in a spreadsheet, with these details:

brand, model, price I got it for, date of purchase, invoice number, and months of warranty.

Since my clients database is increasing, I am getting more and more invoices to file. Obviously the disadvantage is that you can't easily search for an invoice manually, just in case you have to RMA a device.

- Do you somewhat link the manual devices to a digital source?

- Lately I had to RMA a power supply. I could easily find the original invoice since I knew approximately the date I got it from the supplier. They didn't even requested the invoice, although I gave them the number. What if I had bought this item multiple times (separate invoices)? How do I know if it's still covered by the supplier's warranty? (since you I don't always sell the items immediately). Do you store any bar codes?

I'm not asking because I'm having issues, again, it's something I thought of. Sometimes it helps thinking about bad things that could happen.

There are better ways but what we did was this:

Every receipt of inventory, we put a label on it with the date of invoice and vendor. 06/19/11DH That would be June 19 this year from DH.

The customer brings the part in, it must have our label on it to be under warranty.

The customer is required to bring in their invoice from us, which saves us a great deal of time and seeing if it is within the 12 month or 90 day warranty period.

So we can check that invoice first to see if it is within the period, then we can check the purchase date on our added sticker if they don't bring in the invoice. I guess we demand the invoice to cover us if we cannot find our paper work or their sticker wears off is unreadable or is removed. Usually we can handle their requests.

We use NEBS with a manila hard copy which is our permanent record. That gets filed in larger folders for that client alphabetically.

Go to your dentists office and you will see a 5'x6' metal shelf which holds thousands of folders for clients and invoices for each job/service within each folder all filed alphabetical. This could be a good system for you.

BTW- using the stickers to trace back to the vendors invoice gives us the information we need to rma the product. It has the date, invoice #, brand and serial numbers on expensive items and brand on the other items like power supplies which don't get serial numbers recorded. So I can now process the rma easily.

You soon find with this process that it is easier to check in larger orders a few times a month than many small orders.

Tony_Scarpelli
08-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I use QuickBooks which allows me to tie individual purchases to my repair records and invoices. I also scan the purchase invoices into quickbooks.
In this way, if I have to find a purchase invoice for an item I used in a repair, I just find the repair invoice, click on the associated part used, pull up that item purchase and then print out a pdf copy of the original purchase invoice.

Jim I would think this works best with special purchase but if you order 40 power supplies on one PO, it seems messy to connect 40 invoices back to that purchase order or vendors bill.

Tony_Scarpelli
08-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Sold or used as replacement by serial number.
Most of them have the serial number barcoded.
Serial number goes on the invoice.

I can see that would be helpful. Our way we put the date/vendor on the label which ties back to the Purchase order which has the serial numbers. If no serial number is listed on the invoice then our vendor doesn't require one, so we don't require it ourselves either.

K007
08-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I can see that would be helpful. Our way we put the date/vendor on the label which ties back to the Purchase order which has the serial numbers. If no serial number is listed on the invoice then our vendor doesn't require one, so we don't require it ourselves either.

You are right, but I do it because that is the customer's proof.
If the item sold is still in warranty you can corroborate the serial number on the invoice with the serial number on the thing the customer brings back.

4ycr
08-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I use kashflow for my accounts and this allows me to add invoices from suppliers, I then scan the original one in as well and I can search for what I need.