PDA

View Full Version : Help with Server advice

pcspek
08-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Hi I'm a newbie here and this is my first post, so I'd like to apologise if this has been asked before. I'm a 1 man band repair setup that deals mainly with individuals & very small businesses. The problem or dilemma really is that a small local company has got in contact with me to ask whether they need to spend 15000 on a Dell server or not. What I can gather is that they have an 2 small offices with 2 pc's in one office & 4 in another. They have an old server that's had no support for the last 6 years, which they think is far to much for what they need. All I've been told is that they basically keep their Sage on it & also documents etc that everyone who works there needs access to. They have been advised that they need this server upgrade by their accountants who happen to supply server & remote support as well. They are worried that they are being given the wrong advice so they have asked me to take a look & give them a 2nd opinion. I'm yet to go & take a look but to me it seems far too much. Maybe a NAS or online storage might be better ? I would be grateful for any advice given as this might be a far bigger job than I'm use to. :confused:

@ncient geek
08-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Sounds like the usual overkill to me. From what you say, I'd look at the DELL PowerEdge line or HP ML 350 through 380's.
$5000 will buy you a nice double processor server with 12gigs of ram which should be more than sufficient for such a business, RAID 5 and 2008 R2 included.

Trenatos
08-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Definitely sounds overkill.
With the little they stated you can use a way cheaper server (1000+) and still get them what they need, throw in some kind of backup solution too, wouldn't cost much for the client.

oldtech
08-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Really hard to answer this without knowing what brand/model server and workstations as well as the OS installed. Also is the 15K just for the server? Seem a bit high but without much data go on any answer you get here is a guess at best and therefore useless.

pcspek
08-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanx for getting back to me. The 15K is just for the server with no support ! Another thought I've had is what's wrong with the server they've got now ? It seems to be working but without cover. I don't know how old it is though. What sort of server could I get for about 1000 & would it be suffice ?